Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 AM

14,977 posts, read 12,194,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
I have exactly the same problem and I'm female. There are so many anomalies in my background and belief system, finding friends is very difficult indeed: vegan, animal rights, feminist, atheist, academic, TALL. I teach and have to hide my books: Russell, Dawkins, Harris. _Why I am Not a Christian_ doesn't go over too well in this ultraconservative community I live in.

I can't believe some posters are criticizing or blaming you. People are idiots. See: Bell Curve.
If your post is any indication, your condescending attitude towards others who don 't share your perspectives is what is likely offputting for any potential friends. Because no matter what a person's beliefs happen to be, it's how they treat others that really matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 08:59 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,105,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
What evangelicals don't get is that many people who associate themselves as aethiests do believe in a higher power and are quite spiritual. It's organized religion we've got no use for. And much of that stems from the horrible example set by your average bible thumper. This thread has become another sad example of that.
Precisely!

Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,105,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
If your post is any indication, your condescending attitude towards others who don 't share your perspectives is what is likely offputting for any potential friends. Because no matter what a person's beliefs happen to be, it's how they treat others that really matters.
I detect no condescending attitude. How interesting, how threatened people become.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You know, I can't remember the last time I had a conversation with anyone (in person) about politics OR religion. It just doesn't concern me any more. I figure that there is just stupidity I can't control out there, so let it be. If they've lived this long with such idiotic views, they will likely make it to the finish line without me to correct them. Nobody bothers me to find out where I stand on such issues.

If you are posting on the retirement board, I assume you are retired or close to it. That is plenty old enough to have a near-lifetime of dealing with these issues, and the experience to handle it easily. If you do not, then you may wish to examine just who it is - you or the others - that causes this discord. I never feel that anyone is trying to find where I stand on the issues. And I don't try to hide anything. Could you be the one who initiates such discussions, in your zeal to find a kindred soul?
I am with you; must be the people or place she lives.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:07 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am with you; must be the people or place she lives.
I think it is her liberal beliefs. I know, because I have them. You don't identify as a liberal unless you have given it some thought. Some of us are passionate about our concern about where we think the country is headed. I don't want to get off on a tangent about whether we are right or wrong or get into too many specifics. We think we are right and we think it is important. So when topics come up in conversation, we don't just ignore them. We state our opinions. Several of you indicated a desire to just push the conversation in a different direction at that point and I am okay with that. Sometimes I ask a question that pushes someone's buttons. For example if someone says they don't think we need a minimum wage I ask them if they think that some workers don't deserve a wage high enough to be able to meet basic living expenses because the job they do isn't important enough. This makes some people uncomfortable and even though I will follow a subject change and discuss the sad state of our local pro sports team or what is biting down at the pier, they are less likely to engage in further discussions with me or become my bosom buddy.

The point of that is I think it is okay to be passionate about what you believe. It is also okay not to. But those who are will have trouble making friends with different beliefs unless they are really open minded.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Here at least we call it stirring the pot.Most such people like conflict :IMO. I avoid them.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Here at least we call it stirring the pot.Most such people like conflict :IMO. I avoid them.
I don't disagree. My point was that some of us think the pot needs to be stirred. I think those of us who feel that way are better off finding good friends that agree with our positions or enjoy a lively debate rather than trying to keep quiet to find friends, if keeping quiet isn't really "who we are".

Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,034,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
<snip> But as a conservative who works in a very liberal field, if I were to express my true beliefs to my colleagues, people I consider "work friends" (that is, close acquaintances), I would most likely be shunned. <snip>

Find a local group of hippie dippies, the local Democratic party group, a Unitarian "church," or the local health food shop <snip>
Seriously? I wonder why in the world you believe you would be shunned...

It looks like there are two sides to this bigotry coin.

And where are the posters on this thread who have chided others for not playing nice? Hmmm.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 PM

756 posts, read 835,843 times
Exclamation Me Too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am retired, single, and don't live around any seniors right now but plan to move away next year. I have trouble finding girlfriends because I keep running into opinionated people. I try to be super non committal about religion and politics, but they sniff around to see where I stand and once they finally, finally find out (I'm an atheist/agnostic and a very liberal democrat), they drop me.

Part of this is due to the conservative town that I live in, I think, and I hope to remedy that but is there any way to tactfully avoid the subject of religion and politics indefinitely unless I can find someone who shares my opinions?

P.S. I've tried joining groups around these subjects and that hasn't worked where I live; one group is all male college students, and the other is tiny, full of busy women who don't have time for a single retired woman.

P.P.S. Is this an uncommon problem? I can't tell if it's mostly just the town I live in!
Here in land the public schools pray in public. Religious people do not respect others. They are just bullies.

I suggest you wait until after you move.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,523,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Funny, as I got older I got wiser and became more liberal.
I doubt I've become any wiser but I have become more moderate. It hasn't hurt a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement