Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 05:16 AM

322 posts, read 779,644 times

Advertisements

I don't expect to find a perfect climate, although I thought Grass Valley, ca., was close to it but it had no medical care. But I am absolutely miserable living in the heat. I live in a crap apartment and every summer is pure hell for me. Just how unbearable should my life be before I should move heaven and earth and sell my old car just to get out of here? How much should a person be expected to put up with? I would gladly put up with up with the snow again at Lake Tahoe, ca but the housing up there sucks big time and they don't allow dogs for single people renters. Just how unbearable is it reasonable to be for four months out of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 05:24 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,137,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I don't expect to find a perfect climate, although I thought Grass Valley, ca., was close to it but it had no medical care. But I am absolutely miserable living in the heat. I live in a crap apartment and every summer is pure hell for me. Just how unbearable should my life be before I should move heaven and earth and sell my old car just to get out of here? How much should a person be expected to put up with? I would gladly put up with up with the snow again at Lake Tahoe, ca but the housing up there sucks big time and they don't allow dogs for single people renters. Just how unbearable is it reasonable to be for four months out of the year?
I feel your pain. I am in southern Florida. I feel miserable about 8 months of the year The heat and humidity just drain so much of my energy. I hope to move north to a 4 season climate. It just seems so daunting a task.... sell my house, look for another....or a rental.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I feel your pain. I am in southern Florida. I feel miserable about 8 months of the year The heat and humidity just drain so much of my energy. I hope to move north to a 4 season climate. It just seems so daunting a task.... sell my house, look for another....or a rental.
Oh I am so sorry; I could never live in Florida with that heat and humidity. I feel your pain, too! The task is not so daunting for me, it's the expense as I live on $800 a month and I rent, and can't figure out how to pay for the first trip up for rental interviews!

Old 06-27-2015, 05:54 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,252,554 times
Quote:
Awww hugs! I understand how miserable it is for you - I'm the other extreme. I cannot bear the thought of one more winter here in the Midwest so I plan on moving to Arizona this fall. The last 2 winters here have been truly miserable, and it probably doesn't help that I have low blood pressure so I almost always feel cold!

You mentioned in another post about only having $800 / mo. Have you checked out information on elderly low income housing? Maybe somewhere in Nevada or Arizona might be a solution for you.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
You mentioned in another post about only having $800 / mo. Have you checked out information on elderly low income housing? Maybe somewhere in Nevada or Arizona might be a solution for you.
Thanks, but I already get a month to month discount on my rent with Section 8. Doesn't help you when you try to move though. I already lived in Reno for twenty years; I don't go backward in my life and Arizona would be WAY too hot for me. I am totally heat intolerant. I sit next to my air conditioner all summer long and never go out in the daytime. I'm in prison.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
You mention Section 8. If you have a voucher, they can be transferred anywhere in the country.

We have many folks who have moved here to NC with Sec 8 vouchers -- you just have to find some place that will take the voucher, of course.

And then there is elderly subsidized housing.

The heat is a real problem for me, as well. Winter weather is not a problem for me, as long as I am not having to shovel snow.

Why not consider a higher elevation, maybe? Lake Tahoe is so expensive but what about a surrounding state? How far are you willing to move?

Old 06-27-2015, 06:16 AM

I have been emailing with an apartment complex in Salem, Oregon and one in Vancouver, WA. Both sound excellent for me but I don't know how to get the money to take an airplane trip up there for my rental interviews and my Section 8 interview. I'm feeling so desperate that I might sell my old car and put everything in a Uhaul when my lease is up and go, because I just can't throw away my furniture and drive my car up there expecting to rebuild everything again when it took me five years to buy just the used furniture that I have now. What a complex mess!

Old 06-27-2015, 06:27 AM

723 posts, read 999,441 times
[quote=Deelighted;40185902]Awww The last 2 winters here have been truly miserable, and it probably doesn't help that I have low blood pressure so I almost always feel cold!

Thank you Deelighted! I had no idea that was the reason I get cold so easily! I too have low blood pressure and as soon as the temps go below 70 I have to put on a sweater.

I had no idea!

Old 06-27-2015, 06:30 AM

[quote=RobertaWa;40186077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Awww The last 2 winters here have been truly miserable, and it probably doesn't help that I have low blood pressure so I almost always feel cold!

Thank you Deelighted! I had no idea that was the reason I get cold so easily! I too have low blood pressure and as soon as the temps go below 70 I have to put on a sweater.

I had no idea!
You can learn lots of new stuff on this forum I have high blood pressure and much prefer temps under 70. Wow.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
Quote:
I have been emailing with an apartment complex in Salem, Oregon and one in Vancouver, WA. Both sound excellent for me but I don't know how to get the money to take an airplane trip up there for my rental interviews and my Section 8 interview. I'm feeling so desperate that I might sell my old car and put everything in a Uhaul when my lease is up and go, because I just can't throw away my furniture and drive my car up there expecting to rebuild everything again when it took me five years to buy just the used furniture that I have now. What a complex mess!
It is complex. But don't give up! If it gets to be too stressful, just drop it for a while, then try again.

Are you using your own computer, or are you at a library? If you have your own computer, does it have a camera? Will any of these agencies use Skype for an interview? Just a thought!

That is a strategy, just loading up and heading to an area and hoping for the best once you get there. Before you do that, map out resources along the way, i.e., food banks, eldercare services, places you can stop overnight in safety and sleep in your car, if necessary.

Also, any checks you are receiving in auto deposit form . . . make sure you will have online access so you can get to your funds, keep track of the dollars. Know what banks are available on your route. Do not carry much cash as it makes you a target.

If you pinpoint an area (such as you mentioned in Oregon) -- start posting on that region's forum, asking questions, in order to garner as much info upfront. Also, see what newspapers are available online and start reading them, see what is available in which sections and where the high crime is so you can avoid that area.

Get online with area Senior services and make contact and ask questions! There may even be an advocacy group or agency that can provide info or some sort of assistance w/ finding housing.

No one should feel like a prisoner - that is no way to have a life. My best wishes to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement