Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times

Advertisements

We are 61 and 64, not yet retired.

I'm realizing our world has become largely restricted to home in recent years and I hate it. I can't see spending the rest of our lives like this -- only more so -- after we retire.

DH has given up the solo dive trips he used to take with buddies -- they don't want to go, either. He works in a different department now that doesn't require him to travel, whereas previously he might go to the East Coast twice a year. A friend wanted to fly with DH to AirVenture (Oshkosh) this summer. DH won't go. I've been known to take a vacation or two -- even a three week cruise -- without him. I don't do that any more. I'm too busy working on my successful jewelry business.

Maybe I can't change his situation but I can change mine. I'm trying to buy a compact RV, a Roadtrek. He's pushing back at every turn. I think he fears I will go places in the Roadtrek without him. He's right: I will. I want to visit some manufacturers and vendors I do business with. But I'm beginning to think I won't be allowed to.

My view is that we're married, not lifers doing time in the same cell.

Does it seem that time spent apart enhances the time spent together? Or are you joined at the hip?

In short, do you ever give your spouse a chance to miss you or do you get a chance to miss him/her?

(Please, I'm talking about living spouses only. Thanks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:33 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,048,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
In short, do you ever give your spouse a chance to miss you or do you get a chance to miss him/her?

Yes, although my wife and I travel extensively together, we also travel separately as well. For example, my wife will be going on a 7-day New England coastal cruise with her cousin in September. Next January, she will be going to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks with a group of friends/former coworkers. And in June 2016, she and a friend will be going to Praiano, Italy for a month or so. And her absences provide me with the opportunity to pursue my hobby/pastime (playing poker) without feeling guilty about devoting so much time to it.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,473,200 times
We don't travel apart very often, but normally at least 2-3 times a year. This year, for example, I was gone for a week to Las Vegas on a business conference. Later this month she will be gone to California for a week to visit family without me.
She will often do a day trip or overnight with friends to Portland. After 41 years we are not getting tired of each other, but still have thopse times when we miss each other.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:07 PM

6,615 posts, read 7,107,739 times
My whole working life. Once a month I would take one weekend and join with a bunch of guys and gals and we would wear uniforms and do training. Also every year I would take 2 weeks off to do stuff with my unit. It was called annual training. This went on religiously for over 28 years. I even took a 15 month trip overseas without the wife. Of course I would not have wanted her with me as we seemed to be avoiding 7.62mm rounds, RPG's and roadside bombs. It would not have been very fun for her.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,439,442 times
I'm really worried about this (assuming we remain married into retirement). We definitely don't see eye to eye about alone time (I love it / need it, my wife? .... not so much ... attachment / separation anxiety issues). If we end up 24 x 7 x 365 or even a significant fraction of that we are going to end up completely hating each other.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,439,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
My whole working life. Once a month I would take one weekend and join with a bunch of guys and gals and we would wear uniforms and do training. Also every year I would take 2 weeks off to do stuff with my unit. It was called annual training. This went on religiously for over 28 years. I even took a 15 month trip overseas without the wife. Of course I would not have wanted her with me as we seemed to be avoiding 7.62mm rounds, RPG's and roadside bombs. It would not have been very fun for her.

Not to mention TBIs.

In any case - Thank you for your service!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 PM

720 posts, read 767,401 times
Quote:

I'm realizing our world has become largely restricted to home in recent years and I hate it. I can't see spending the rest of our lives like this -- only more so -- after we retire.

DH has given up the solo dive trips he used to take with buddies -- they don't want to go, either. He works in a different department now that doesn't require him to travel, whereas previously he might go to the East Coast twice a year. A friend wanted to fly with DH to AirVenture (Oshkosh) this summer. DH won't go. I've been known to take a vacation or two -- even a three week cruise -- without him. I don't do that any more. I'm too busy working on my successful jewelry business.

Maybe I can't change his situation but I can change mine. I'm trying to buy a compact RV, a Roadtrek. He's pushing back at every turn. I think he fears I will go places in the Roadtrek without him. He's right: I will. I want to visit some manufacturers and vendors I do business with. But I'm beginning to think I won't be allowed to.

Does it seem that time spent apart enhances the time spent together? Or are you joined at the hip?

I don't have any advice for you, but I'm so excited for you and your jewelry business. I make jewelry as an intermittent hobby and that is a far away dream of mine.

Good for you!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:47 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,805,953 times
Huge worry. I give her a few chances, mostly her going off with friends for a few days. I am not missed much.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:46 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,518,118 times
Quote:

I completely get 'being allowed to'. My B H is the same.
I feel very confined.

He needs medication twice a day that he can't or won't administer.

I'd love to miss him.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:51 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,465,282 times
Mine probably wouldn't miss me, she has a pretty good aim!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement