Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 12:18 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,277,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
After posting twice about my dogs, it would be an injustice not to mention "Sparky" and what a wonderful addition and, well, sort of a compromise a guinea pig might be.

We got "Sparky" as a month old. She is a Peruvian and we also owned a great one years ago, "Lucky". Sparky is now 5 years old. She requires a minimum of care and is a great companion for my adult son with Down syndrome as he prefers a calm pet. She likes to purr when she is happy. She likes to throw a fit when she isn't happy making noise but a low level of it.

We are not talking about a hamster. A guinea pig is awake during the day. She tips her house over when she isn't happy, usually related to not get a morsel that she thinks she deserves and she will also keep ringing her bell. At night, you can tell her firmly "Sparky, go to bed." and she does. It sometimes is funny that this furry little rodent recognizes her name and other words like "grass", I yell "Who wants grass?" (And hope the neighbors didn't hear that!)

Such a pet might be worth considering for companionship. I know, "Rodent!"
I've had hampsters and mice too. I like them. My big, tough hubby cried when "his" mouse died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM

14,298 posts, read 14,884,449 times
One consideration we older folks have to accept is a pet will probably outlive us, then what?

If one likes pets, then become a surrogate/volunteer for a pet shelter.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,245,351 times
Birds and rodents are fine pets, but so many dogs and cats need homes...

Old 07-06-2015, 12:36 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,532,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One consideration we older folks have to accept is a pet will probably outlive us, then what?...

My daughter has promised to take in my dog if something happens to me. Other "older folks" who dont have agreeable relatives can make arrangements with local rescue groups (and it would be nice to make donations to those groups in advance). Rescue groups can find good homes for pets, regardless of their age. And, despite what most people think, even older pets adapt well to a new, loving environment.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:40 PM

If I were old (I know; anyone can die anytime, but), I'd make arrangements for my pets to be put down in the event of my death or disability rather than risk having them thrown into the shelter system or, worse yet, end up dumped or on Craig's List. Too many who promise to take care of them really have no intention of doing so or find they can't cope. A humane death isn't the worse thing that can happen to pets, believe me. If you're old, adopt a senior dog or cat; they're too often overlooked!

Old 07-06-2015, 12:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,328,906 times
I would really enjoy having a couple of cats. Or a medium sized dog. But DH does not want either, and the reason is expense and effort. I think we could easily afford an animal or two, but he simply doesn't want to spend in that direction. And he anticipates needing to spend big bucks at some point in their lives. And, further, he does not to expend any energy in maintaining pets.

He dumped litter boxes for years so I get his desire not to be tied down to this task again. I think we could share this burden in our one level house now, but realistically, I don't know where we'd put said litter box.

And it would make travel hard. We do travel a bit.

So we don't.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,140,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Seriously - there is no "mess" taking care of a dog.

Outside of one or two vomiting ups and pooping during potty training - our goldens have been more reliable than any of my siblings kids.

They even ask to be let out for potty and don't need diapers.

My first golden would have been humiliated to have gone in the house. He did everything he could to convey it was time to open the door.
A few winters ago, I went down to Casa Grande, AZ for several weeks to get out of our typical MT winter weather. My Brittany (who has traveled w/me in his travel crate in my SUV some 79,000 miles, was with me.
One very nice restaurant that I frequented quite often had an "open air Patio-Dining area" with a sign that read: "Patrons with Dogs that are "properly Trained & under the Control of the owner" are welcome to Dine in this Patio area. This same "Advisory-Statement" applies to small Children! If either (Dog and/or Child) are deemed by management to be a problem.....They will be asked to leave. Thank you for your understanding!

During all the evening meals I enjoyed there with my Brittany at my feet, I never saw a customer with a dog be asked to leave.........I did however, observe on one occasion, a young couple with an un-rulely and loud small child be asked to leave.

It should be noted that in addition to the "normal Place-Setting" there also was a "Doggy-Bag" on the table.

Now there's a "Smart Business Man"!!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:21 PM

26,140 posts, read 22,328,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Birds and rodents are fine pets, but so many dogs and cats need homes...
There is actually a category on Petfinder for "Small and Furry" and in a college town, after the school term ends, you'll find that these pets are also "disposable".

Gosh, Petfinder has several categories to include cows, sheep, goats, llamas, pigs, chickens, parakeets, etc. all needing re-homed. All have their place and are just waiting for the right person with the right situation to show up.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
There is actually a category on Petfinder for "Small and Furry" and in a college town, after the school term ends, you'll find that these pets are also "disposable".

Gosh, Petfinder has several categories to include cows, sheep, goats, llamas, pigs, chickens, parakeets, etc. all needing re-homed. All have their place and are just waiting for the right person with the right situation to show up.
Very true, but the cats/dogs far outnumber them and thus are more likely to be quickly euthed for lack of space.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:35 PM

2,843 posts, read 3,221,918 times
How old is too old? I got myself a puppy for my 70th birthday, from a breeder who is older than I am. My parents lived into their mid-90's and Mom is still with us. The puppy with luck will live into my early 80's. Then I will probably rescue an older dog that some older person has to leave behind when they go into AL or a nursing home. And make arrangements for them to take my dog if something happens to me, and make sure there is some money to do that right.
Not only do I always want to have a dog, but I like having two dogs so they have company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement