Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:37 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,332,405 times

Advertisements

I don't think anybody goes through a dramatic personality shift when they retire. I know lots of employed people who ***** & complain about everything. Because they're kind of busy working, they don't have as much time to do it. When they retire, it becomes their full time task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 01:51 PM

266 posts, read 282,033 times
My wife sure thinks so...!

Old 07-08-2015, 01:58 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I went on a cruise once and there were three older ladies from Texas. They complained endlessly about everything. And when they were not complaining about the cruise they went on and on about their medical problems. After being stuck on a boat with these three for a week I learned an important lesson. I resolved not to be a whiny complaining old bag. I have no choice about being an old bag. I do have a choice about being whiny and no fun to be around.
Let me be the first to applaud your commitment to be content. but always reserve the right to go crazy on someone.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,937,984 times
I don't think getting older makes us grouchier. I think that, since we are less concerned about job security and social acceptance, it frees people to say what they really think.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:10 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,850,546 times
Not to *iss off a segment of our aged "compatriots" but.... I have noticed that those who did not participate in the child rearing experience seem a bit more snippy to me.

No judgement, just an observation.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:53 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,804,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Not to *iss off a segment of our aged "compatriots" but.... I have noticed that those who did not participate in the child rearing experience seem a bit more snippy to me.

The disclaimer won't work; they will be *ed. But parenting does expose you to indifference to things you are stressing as important and sometimes makes you realize maybe they are not...

Old 07-08-2015, 03:20 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,299,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

I didn't and I am far from snippy! LOL. My mom had 11 kids and at 91, she is a ray of sunshine. Its in the genes!!!!

Old 07-08-2015, 03:22 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,763,867 times
Ignorance is bliss. When you are younger and don't know much about the "world" it's easier to be happy.When you have grown older and gone through more experiences and have acquired more knowledge about the world, you can see how much more complicated the world is and how completely screwed up it can be in many ways and how cruel and unjust it can be.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:02 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,641,638 times
Well, I don't know if I've gotten grumpier, but I am definitely more open about expressing my feelings and opinions. One of my daughters said it started when I hit my 50th birthday, and labeled it "Unfiltered At Fifty"!

Personally, I'm ready for 'Slender at Sixty".

Old 07-08-2015, 04:03 PM

496 posts, read 554,008 times
1) Body breakdown, aches and pains.

2) Being ignored and dissed by society, or (the flip side) being on the receiving end of condescending oh-aren't-you-dear "eldertalk."

http://changingaging.org/blog/elders...-older-adults/

Speaking slowly
Speaking loudly
Using a sing-song voice
Inflecting statements to sound like a question
Using the pronouns “we,” “us,” and “our” in place of “you.”: “How are we doing today?”
Using pet names such as “sweetheart,” “dearie,” or “honey”
Shortening sentences
Simplifying syntax (sentence structure)
Simplifying vocabulary
Repeating statements or questions
Answering questions for the older adult: “You would like your lunch now, wouldn’t you?”
In other ways talking for the older adult: “You are having a good time on the patio today, I see. And you have your pink sweater on, which you love. Right?”
Asking people questions that assume role loss, idleness and powerlessness such as “Who did you used to be?” “What did you used to do?”
And my particular pet horrors: Referring to old people as "young man" and "young lady." I didn't even like that when I WAS young!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement