Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:11 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,640,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There was no jab. Unless I'm missing something you are planning to minimize your income so that you can rely upon taxpayer funded IHSS. My thought is that you should rely upon your own assets before you go on public assistance. Maybe if you ever need that kind of care your son could provide it in order to avoid having you spend his inheritance?
For what it's worth, I didn't take your messages as a jab to OutdoorsyGal.

I also don't think it's in the same league as the iPhone 6 foodstamp people that drive off in their Cadillacs by any means. It's probably closer to someone that tries to keep their AGI under a certain amount so they don't fall under a higher tax bracket. So I get it. I think it becomes more of a gray area because IHSS is designed for low-income folks, funded by taxpayers. If IHSS was a private company and this worked like supplemental insurance, nobody would be raising an eyebrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 12:22 PM

370 posts, read 216,630 times
Yes

Old 09-18-2015, 01:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,556,809 times
None of this makes any sense to me but I'm not going to read all these pages of justification and explanation to see if some sense can be had. On it's face it seems to consist of several dodges to remain in the poverty realm for future government (read: The People's) benefits while enriching a son and trying to avoid the look-back period. If true I think it despicable. If I'm wrong it won't be the first time.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,227,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
A lot of people on welfare game the system just by the fact that they are capable of working but won't. By the fact that they have kids but won't support them (dead beat daddy) or by having more kids you can't support. Recently a girl here on CD said she was on welfare, then saying she was pregnant. Why don't society have an issue with people doing that?
So, a single mother with 2 kids and a part-time job getting food stamps and Section 8 housing assistance = a couple with $800k inheritance hiding it so that they qualify for taxpayer medical assistance. Right.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:26 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
None of this makes any sense to me but I'm not going to read all these pages of justification and explanation to see if some sense can be had. On it's face it seems to consist of several dodges to remain in the poverty realm for future government (read: The People's) benefits while enriching a son and trying to avoid the look-back period. If true I think it despicable. If I'm wrong it won't be the first time.
I agree. I've read the whole thread and it stinks to high heaven.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:38 PM

6,638 posts, read 7,381,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I agree. I've read the whole thread and it stinks to high heaven.
You could be correct or they just might not understand finances. Hopefully it is the ladder. If not it is easy to see why we spend so much on trying to help people improve their lives without success. We need a new approach to solving the problem.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 AM

920 posts, read 935,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The look back period is 5 years and wouldn't apply here anyhow. There is nothign being transfered and I am also just 46 years old.

Retirement isn't for another 20 years +

Being impovershed by government standards does not get you the services IHSS, you do know that right?? this is the OP

And refusing to accept a house you could inherit, then it going to your son (kin) isn't "enriching" a son to avoid the lookback period.

He is next in line.

He will inherit his grandparents home, not my home. Again, we refused to accept our inheritance so it is passed down

yes you should read the thread. You sound very confused

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 09-20-2015 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
So, a single mother with 2 kids and a part-time job getting food stamps and Section 8 housing assistance = a couple with $800k inheritance hiding it so that they qualify for taxpayer medical assistance. Right.
Linda this is the third bogus thread you've made. And you've been corrected over and over for these same untruths.
After so much knowledge pushing lies is what it is. STOP

No impovished person, including yourself (unless you are disabled) qualifies for IHSS. PERIOD. No debating it

There would need to be a catastrophe or something which caused you to become disabled in order to qualify for IHSS + being considered poor. POOR PEOPLE DO NOT QUALIFY FOR IHSS as much as you seem to want them to. You've been told repeatedly now

Secondly, no one is hiding $800 thousand dollars nor is that the amount we will inherit either. So you're wrong on both fronts. That sounds like your criminal mind at work. Or a moocher at the very least. Keep it to yourself please. You know better

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 09-20-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Linda I've never been a single mother on food stamps. Nor am I inheriting $800. Nor can we qualify for taxpayer medical assistance, this is a thread NOT concerning medical assistance at all. It is personal care assistance thru IHSS, they do not do medical..in relation to Social Security. So everything you've posted is incorrect...again. Third time. All your posts have been way off in this thread

We all pay into various kitties for public school, medical insurance, unemployment, food stamps, medicare, IHSS, Medicaid, public roads, public transportation, police, etc..None of us are that great, so the self righteous bull only shows a trailer trash mentality imho. People should reap as needed, what is removed from our checks$

As a collective, some people benefit at certain times from which ever program they need. And that is just fine with me, that is how it is set up. I'd hate to think that $ isn't going to help people who qualify

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 09-20-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
For what it's worth, I didn't take your messages as a jab to OutdoorsyGal.
If a catastrophe struck, Ive done my best. Got LTC insurance, worked, exercised hardcore (Mtn biker most of my life and now) ate healthy organic whole foods overall, and saved $ to use for my own health expenses.. But it doesn't guarantee my health needs will be covered. And I will be taken care of. MY father in law, a former IHSS worker who utilized both LTC policies and IHSS way too frequently with Clients, also saw first hand what can happen. He was fearful of it for himself while I did hospice for him

No one can qualify for IHSS by just being poor, I am saddened this lie is being pushed here over and over. Ignoring the facts.. Unless they maime themselves or harm themselves delberately or unintentionally, a health issue irrups -And-in my situation, the LTC insurance didn't fully kick in or at all, and their $500 thousand saved for health expenses is already gone (and it goes faster than you think) then and only then, in my situation, can I can think about becoming disabled and it being covered. I can prepare for it by not taking my own SS, which it appears... is what it will come down to.so decision finally made. Hence the title of the OP

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 09-20-2015 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement