Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:29 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,301,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
So I ask this question because of my mother specifically. She is retired and widowed. But she does not live alone. My brother and her mother both live with her. But she is constantly falling prey to telephone solicitors.

She answers every phone call. She talks to everyone who calls. And she seems to buy almost everything any of these phone solicitors try to sell her. She's bought cruises (that she has no intention of using) vitamin supplements, "cures" for diabetes, etc.

When I ask why she bought these things she says it was the only way to get them off the phone.

I can't understand why she would not simply hang up the phone. Is it just politeness from a different generation ?

I put her on the Do Not Call List and I've told her to not answer the phone if she doesn't recognize the number. I've also told her she can just hang up the phone.

Is this an issue other Retiree's have as well ... either themselves, a spouse or parent/sibling ?

I"m sure it can not be unique to her.
Has she always been like this or just started?

My mom was onto the cons at one time. She got a call that told her to go to Wal-Mart and meet in the parking lot and they would give her some money. But she had to bring a good will amount of 10,000 before they gave her the 50,000. She said she would, do it, but to just take the 10,000 out and she would be happy with 40,000!

But later she was buying all kinds of stuff - mostly lotteries from overseas. We would go through her purse when she wasn't looking and toss it all out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:31 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,231,821 times
I have been suckered by those Microsoft "experts" too for $500. My brain gets muddled sometimes from my MS but now I have learned and I either don't answer the phone or I just hang up after saying no. I don't care if I'm being rude. THEY are being rude disturbing me!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
My mother is 86, and she isn't fooled. She will call her town police if she gets a call that sounds suspicious.

She doesn't answer the phone if she doesn't know the number. That was a problem one day when my cell phone was dead and I was trying to reach her from work, lol.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:44 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,337,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Because most are trusting. Grew up in a different era.
^^ This. When you grow up in an era that didn't include phone scams and more people were generally honest, you don't learn to be skeptical.

That and thanks to our information highway, scammers know the age of the people they're calling and specifically target the elderly. When you are under 65, you don't get those kinds of calls with the same frequency.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:23 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,421,064 times
My mom was very similar. She would have to show me the letters of marketing offers. She had no interest at all but was afraid to throw them away and would get very upset about them. I have an older sister is is that way about spam email and spam texts. She can't understand why she gets them and she can't ignore them! She makes ME delete them for her!...of course she wants her email inbox empty at all times, anyway but only gets truly upset about spam.

I have no trouble throwing away marketing stuff / spam unopened - but some people take this stuff soooo personally!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,718,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
My parents have always felt it was impolite to cut people off on the phone, even solicitors.

My mother is so gullible she believed one scammer who was trying to get her social security number and pretending he was from her bank. Thank God my Dad realized what was going on and said - now wait - how do you know that is really our bank calling?

So it is not necessarily cognitive decline. My parents have always been like this - even 30 years ago.
I have to be careful to keep my wife away from car salesmen. I once had to pay off over $50,000 worth of her car loans, and the cars weren't even that good. Some people just have no sales resistance.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,718,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
^^ This. When you grow up in an era that didn't include phone scams and more people were generally honest, you don't learn to be skeptical.

That and thanks to our information highway, scammers know the age of the people they're calling and specifically target the elderly. When you are under 65, you don't get those kinds of calls with the same frequency.
There has never been an era that didn't swarm with con artists.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:40 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,940,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I have to be careful to keep my wife away from car salesmen. I once had to pay off over $50,000 worth of her car loans, and the cars weren't even that good. Some people just have no sales resistance.
Ha ha ha! For us, many car salesmen wished that my husband had kept me away from them. I drive a hard bargain. One time, a car salesman blew his top and screamed at me for trying to bargain down few hundreds bucks. He babbled something about how hard it was to make a living as car salesman and I wasted his precious time with my haggling.

We left his place, went to another dealer and got the car at the price we wanted without any bargaining! I always do my research ahead of time to find out the true dealer cost, manufacturer's rebates, hidden incentives etc.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:40 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
Some people have low sales resistance

Old 07-10-2015, 02:45 PM

810 posts, read 1,184,467 times
I am very thankful that my 89 y/o mother would not fall for this. That is, unless she was to suffer from some type of dementia in the future or mental disease that would alter her normal thinking. My mother now only has a cell phone and that does limit those pesky tele-marketers somewhat. Just very sad, though, to know so many are falling prey to the cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement