Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:08 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,087,532 times

Advertisements

Is your relationshio so weak that telling him what you think means you would never see him again??? Thats not much of a relationship. My mother let me have it plenty of times, and it never affected that part of our relationship. Move back, and move on with your life. Tell him why. Let him chew on it. Hes already in stupid land with how he's bleeding funds and delaying his future success, all for a "girlfriend"??? He needs to wake up on his own. Dont get dragged down with HIS ship. Ship, spelled with a T.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:59 AM

43 posts, read 70,882 times
When he was younger, it sounds as if you had your son to yourself. Now that he's a man, you're trying to perpetuate that closeness, without understanding that your wishes are creating friction in his life. Please consider that he does not belong to you; he belongs to himself.

"Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable."

Khalil Gibran

Old 07-12-2015, 09:08 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,531,456 times
Live your own life and let him live his. You can't make him do anything and attacking the woman he is living with will not be productive.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:25 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,236,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Is your relationshio so weak that telling him what you think means you would never see him again??? Thats not much of a relationship. My mother let me have it plenty of times, and it never affected that part of our relationship. Move back, and move on with your life. Tell him why. Let him chew on it. Hes already in stupid land with how he's bleeding funds and delaying his future success, all for a "girlfriend"??? He needs to wake up on his own. Dont get dragged down with HIS ship. Ship, spelled with a T.
I kinda agree with this but also with tell him how you feel about your life and feelings. You did a good job in your original post.

Tired of moving
Stressed with where you live
You understand he has his own life to lead and so you need to be near your friends

How much he means to you which is why you've moved twice even though its been hard and
you'll miss him terrible and worry about him an not seeing him but you feel like you would feel
more secure with your friends in VT around you.

And at some point, very delicately, say hey, your a man and you are responsible for your own choices I'm not going to butt in, but I'm your mother so I get to say this once. I think your getting into an economic hole for something that's not going to be good for you long term. Or something to that affect. But you will always be there for him etc. and will try to get along with anyone he brings home.

Then move back as fast as you can, the longer you stay the more its costing you.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:29 AM

371 posts, read 538,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Also, as they approach 80, they need more family support - and this will increase over time. Whenever possible, I do think that families should try to live pretty close to elderly parents (if the relationships aren't toxic). It's just the nature of aging...we need more help as time goes by, and friends who are in the same situation can't really be relied on for the sort of help we often need. Of course, sometimes we can't rely on family either, but I'm just saying that these are things to consider.
That is my biggest fear. If I have any kind of serious illness, I don't know who I could *really* rely upon as far as friends go. Do I want to be a continent away from my son?

Old 07-12-2015, 09:34 AM

371 posts, read 538,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
No it isn't weak at all, but seems like most folks think it's a bad idea to butt in. If he tells her any of my concerns, then I really won't get to see him at all. She will hate me. I'm in my mid-60's, my fear is stuff like if I fall and break something, who will care for my dog? Isn't that crazy...but I do have good friends who would help. I guess I can't worry about stuff that may never happen. I have to think about now.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:49 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,103,770 times
Have seen your case in a couple of friends already including in my family.
1. You should do what it's best for you in your life, which seems from what you are saying moving to Vermont and seeing him once or twice a year.

2. Do not tell him what he should do about his GF, you will not win there and will only alienate you from her. He will have to come to term with that and deal with it.

If I was you I would move back East where I would be happier and hopefully eventually he will come to term with his relationship, but remember that his choice and you will not win in a disagreement with his life regarding GF or wife.

Best of luck to you. Choose what's best for you it's the only thing you can control

Old 07-12-2015, 09:50 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,428,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
No it isn't weak at all, but seems like most folks think it's a bad idea to butt in. If he tells her any of my concerns, then I really won't get to see him at all. She will hate me. I'm in my mid-60's, my fear is stuff like if I fall and break something, who will care for my dog? Isn't that crazy...but I do have good friends who would help. I guess I can't worry about stuff that may never happen. I have to think about now.
I'm the mother of two sons, and I'm with the "don't butt in" camp (regarding the girlfriend). It's my observation that a mother has a different relationship with sons vs. daughters. I've learned from what's happened to other people that if you criticize the girlfriend/wife, you run the risk of getting frozen out quicker than you can blink an eye. And once those critical words are out there, you can never take them back. Just my thoughts...

Old 07-12-2015, 10:39 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
I'm in my mid-60's, my fear is stuff like if I fall and break something, who will care for my dog? Isn't that crazy...but I do have good friends who would help. I guess I can't worry about stuff that may never happen. I have to think about now.
That's the ticket!

I wish you the best on your move back to Vermont.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:48 AM

5,950 posts, read 5,123,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdokie View Post
When he was younger, it sounds as if you had your son to yourself. Now that he's a man, you're trying to perpetuate that closeness, without understanding that your wishes are creating friction in his life. Please consider that he does not belong to you; he belongs to himself.

"Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable."

Khalil Gibran
Thank you! This is beautiful and very important for those who cannot let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.