Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:21 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,465,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Do you?
Okay, let me amend my statement. "I believe most people on CD mean well, apart from GiGi." Better?

Old 07-19-2015, 04:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,360,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Do you?

I'm not aware that when signing on CD that it was a requirement to only post as if in a Disney movie.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:06 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,390,393 times
Well, you probably would feel better if you can have more self-respect. Going down without it sounds really sad. So go forth and win it. Your reason to live is to beat the ill fate, smile in its face, and say "F**k you, I win!" And after that, you won't need reasons.

1. You are not the only person in the world who has fecal incontinence. I understand your embarrassment, but I mean, there should be solutions.
2. For how long do you have it? Is it because of diarrhea? Maybe it will pass if you exclude certain foods? Did it start after some surgery? Do you know what caused it?
3. Small children poop without stopping and it doesn't prevent them from travel. So go to amazon.com and order adult pampers which will come in a frustration-free package right to your front door.
4. Google how it is treated, read well serious articles, go check uptodate.com where for $20 you can access professional level papers on the issue. Turn your brain on high gear an read, as I did a month ago, and my surgeon agreed with me that my approach to the planned surgery is better than her one, and I'm an accountant.
5. Check healthgrades.com and ratemds.com and find absolutely the best doctor in your problem field in your area.
6. If the problem arose after some surgery, sue these doctors or offer them to provide you treatments that will relieve you from this problem. If the case is clear, there will be lawyers who will work on commission. Sometimes even crazy solutions can work - for example, having a colostomy would be probably better than no control over your bowel at all.
7. Start a fundraiser on gofundme.com. I believe those who read this topic can support you at least with passing around information. I would. But you'll need to send people PMs to remind them about your topic.
You will be surprised how many different good outcomes you will have out of all, it If you pull yourself together and stand up to your (really horrible, I agree) misfortune. Just get up and do it. Aren't you a man?
What do you mean by "having no family anymore"? And, you have a friend, and it counts for a lot at your age.

Last edited by BusyMeAK; 07-19-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 06:18 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,690,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I live alone, 61 and have many chronic illnesses. I have no family anymore and only one friend, who is hundreds of miles away. I need someone to give me a reason to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I feel guilty for all my doctor visits, because the government is paying to keep a person alive who has no loved ones and no one who cares about them. I have no interests in hobbies other than tv and the internet. I'm trying to give my dog away to someone because I can't afford to take good care of her anymore, can't afford the veterinary bills. I'm poor and have no prospects or money to move to a senior complex where there might be built in friends.

Can anyone give me a reason to keep going on like this? I'm not looking for pity! I am looking for answers. I've been in bed all day due to fecal incontinence and am going to doctors to try to take care of that but feel guilty and useless for doing so.

Oh and I do not go to church because I'm an agnostic. I stay home all the time due to not feeling good.
You are
Only 61, not even old but really middle aged.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:23 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,864,435 times
I have no idea why this thread is STILL in the Retirement Forum - either mental health and/or Health Forum(s) are much better options.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:37 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,360,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have no idea why this thread is STILL in the Retirement Forum - either mental health and/or Health Forum(s) are much better options.

Yes, lately there have been several threads like this but no doubt someone will come up with a reason why it should be here.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:27 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,952,737 times
Keep searching for the truth.
I recommend studying the monetary system, fractitional reserve banking, geoploitics.

Of course I believe that anyone that truly seeks the truth will eventually find Jesus Christ, who is The Truth.

If you find Him, He will help you.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,935,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, lately there have been several threads like this but no doubt someone will come up with a reason why it should be here.
Oh, I can give you a reason. The reason is that any thread by a member of the in-crowd, a member of the ruling clique, or even by someone who is approved by the ruling clique, just belongs here. There doesn't have to be any rationality or objectivity behind it.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:15 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,941,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
One of my favorite saying is: "The data speaks for itself".

A quick google search came up with quite a few studies and statistics about elderly women living alone and suffering from depression

Depression in the Elderly: 7 Ways to Help - Health.com

Quote:
Older people are at risk for depression, are underserved by the mental health profession, and have the highest rates of suicide in the country.
Loneliness, depression and sociability in old age

Quote:
Results revealed a significant relationship between depression and loneliness.
http://www.aoa.gov/Aging_Statistics/...011profile.pdf

Quote:
About 29% (11.3 million) of noninstitutionalized older persons live alone (8.1 million women, 3.2 million men)

Almost half of older women (47%) age 75+ live alone
http://www.aamoksh.com/challenges-faced-elderly-living/

Quote:
Last but not the least, the feeling of loneliness and isolation that grips elderly people living alone can be scary and unfathomable. Unless they have some sort of contact with the outside world or are living in retirement communities amongst people of their own age groups these seniors can develop depressive tendencies and feel shut off from the world.
Yes, this thread can belong to mental health or health forum but since the OP chose to post it here (it could be because she thought there would be more sympathetic 'ears' from her peer), IMO, it's perfectly fine for the thread to stay here. The stats from the few studies that I found above seem to indicate that her situation is not uncommon in elderly women and some of the issues that she is facing are sadly quite unique to seniors.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,557,066 times
Hey, I was just gettin' ready to see if you wanted to talk about bowel movements!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.