Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:23 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,396,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have been thinking something for quite a while now about this posting and I will probably get all kinds of flack for it. But....... how many ways can you give the same advice? How many times are you going to hear, "yes but".
It doesn't actually matter. If not OP, but some other person with similar problems will read and use your advice. So if you are concerned about your time and effort being wasted, don't worry. It will sit here 'forever' for further generations of the forum users.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:23 PM

15,185 posts, read 27,981,802 times
Is there such a thing as Munchausens by Forum?

Old 07-20-2015, 06:43 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,223,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
It doesn't actually matter. If not OP, but some other person with similar problems will read and use your advice. So if you are concerned about your time and effort being wasted, don't worry. It will sit here 'forever' for further generations of the forum users.
My thoughts exactly. There are so many wonderful and insightful suggestions on this thread. I thought it's also very touching how many do care and have reached out in a positive manner.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:42 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,377,349 times
One thing that stops me, outside of the depression medication, is the fact that, although I haven't written since the car accident, I am a published poet. That is a gift & I work at restoring that gift but it is difficult.
Everyone receives a gift. Please find yours & at the very least, like me, you will search to find it & fulfill your destiny.

It could be the smile that lights up a room, or a thought that brings to life someone else's dream. You just don't know how your being here will help someone else.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:45 PM

21 posts, read 18,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There are some atheist "churches" which are really just community groups of people who want to gather together but have atheism in common rather than religion. Google something locally and see if there's something near you - they have have outreach and social events and charitable causes that could benefit you.
Great idea! Nothing lifts my spirits like hanging out with a bunch of others who have no hope.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:00 AM

6 posts, read 16,361 times
Can the OP (heartfocus) please drop in just to touch base? I don't know how I stumbled on this thread when I was originally on CD reading a thread about technology or something, but it's been three days since she was last here on her own post and that concerns me. And I don't even know her.

Please OP - just check-in to let everyone on here, who are obviously thinking about you, that you're at least okay.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,970,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
One thing that stops me, outside of the depression medication, is the fact that, although I haven't written since the car accident, I am a published poet. That is a gift & I work at restoring that gift but it is difficult.
Everyone receives a gift. Please find yours & at the very least, like me, you will search to find it & fulfill your destiny.

It could be the smile that lights up a room, or a thought that brings to life someone else's dream. You just don't know how your being here will help someone else.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...-life-has.html

Meo, I don't know if you already saw and perhaps posted in that thread "If you believe a person's life has a purpose, do you believe you have fulfilled your purpose yet?" (I hope the link to it works). I found it on page 6 of the Retirement Forum just now. In any case your comment about fulfilling one's destiny reminded me of that old thread and I went looking for it.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:14 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,970,183 times
Perhaps the present OP is not looking for "suggestions"? On May 3 she started a thread entitled "Poor, depressed, & stuck in a terrible home. 'Golden Years'?" The following day (May 4) after 39 posts, she wrote:
"Please stop the suggestions. Please stop stop stop stop". The thread was thereupon closed. (That quote was the entirety of the post).

It is a natural human tendency to offer suggestions for improvement when someone is in a bad place or in difficulty, but that may not be what the OP was looking for. I base my hypothesis both on that older thread (now on page 11) and on the present one.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:01 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,375,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Is there such a thing as Munchausens by Forum?

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,815,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PingMan View Post
Great idea! Nothing lifts my spirits like hanging out with a bunch of others who have no hope.
I think you would be surprised. There often are sessions of people who are trying to one up each other about how miserable they are, but they often find other common ground and light hearted conversations and friendships do sometimes begin in those settings. But the OP will likely have an excuse at the ready for not even trying it. I get the impression that the thread was started seeking an audience, not a solution. I hope I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement