Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 11:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,129,324 times

Advertisements

It's easier to state what I do NOT use the computer for: music (I can't hear, so my computer has no onboard speakers) but all the other computers we have do - yes, all the others - 2 mini-laptops, full size laptop for longer trips, a back-up computer, and my husband's computer. Each of our main computers is backed up daily since we are constantly dling something.

I run a non-profit in retirement; also do bookkeeping, recordkeeping, and post animals lost/found for 2 different rescues as well as keep track of transport needs.

We plan our vacations online, rent cars, bought our house and maybe buying a 2nd one for a friend - all without leaving home.

I started with a vic20 - yes, a "toy" that I used for a mailing list of over 3,000 for my company in the 80s, graduated to a C-64 and also did all the bookkeeping on it, finally moved up to a B-128 and got the kids interested on a TS1000.

If I had to give up things, the computer would be the very last I'd give up. It's my lifeline, my information, my social connections, and my entertainment.

My younger sister finally is learning to use a computer. Amazes me that she had no use for it until a year or two ago. She's a neanderthal at only 63.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 11:47 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,223,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
ALL OF THE ABOVE posted by others. And I am addicted and don't want help either.
I was thinking of all I do with my computer when I hit the above post. That sums it up nicely.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:06 AM

396 posts, read 513,638 times
I've been taking online classes (free) at edX. It's nice to learn more about subjects that always interested me and actually have the time to devote to them.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:02 AM

505 posts, read 717,376 times
Just got back from a 6 day bus trip with pretty much all "senior citizens", I was probably about the youngest at 62. there was not a single person who did not have a tablet of some sort and a cell phone. People were sharing tips back and forth, it was more like a tablet/ipad class than a bus trip, lol

Old 07-20-2015, 07:07 AM

35,111 posts, read 31,396,457 times
I'm guessing it is maybe just the "class" of the retirees I know.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:08 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,850,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You can't beat the computer. I use it for everything. Shopping, paying bills, keeping in touch with friends and plain old entertainment. Today I have played a couple games of Mahjong, checked my email, paid some bills, and checked the tracking numbers on a package I sent and one that's coming to me. Watched a video of a birthday party I wasn't able to attend on utube. My TV is a computer too and I use a roku to binge watch series like Doc Martin, Medium, and House of Cards. I never watched much TV so I have tons to catch up on. I read on the computer too. Thanks to the local library I am reading a Grisham novel they sent me as an epub. And I am always on their waiting list for something.

Can't imagine retired life without a computer. Saves me tons of gas and running around. Puts the world at my fingertips!
All of this and research, research, Love Doc Martin! He is on PBS Saturday night....

ALSO, CITY DATA; need my CITY DATA fix!! Love all the comments and hate some of the comments.......but sure opens my mind to happenings in the world of human ideas, politics, different views, our amazing different climates!!!

Old 07-20-2015, 08:15 AM

8,969 posts, read 20,402,116 times
Facebook, City Data, Internet Research, e-mails and some online ordering. When our desktop is off, I use my Apple iPhone to check these things out.

Currently, using our computer and printer/scanner to scan most of our printed photos in albums to photo software and then transferring those photos onto USB Flash Drives. Instead of having a number of photo albums hanging around, I can just pop a USB in the computer or into our tv (it has a USB outlet) and look at photos that way. After transferring the photos to the Flash Drives, I send some of the photos to family members who are in the photos. I have a few different Flash Drives for different photos........for instance: one for all the photos wife and I have taken since we met 16 years ago, another for all the old photos that my wife has, etc. I have two copies of these Flash Drives; one set at home and the other in our bank safe deposit box.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:58 AM

35,111 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Facebook, City Data, Internet Research, e-mails and some online ordering. When our desktop is off, I use my Apple iPhone to check these things out.

Currently, using our computer and printer/scanner to scan most of our printed photos in albums to photo software and then transferring those photos onto USB Flash Drives. Instead of having a number of photo albums hanging around, I can just pop a USB in the computer or into our tv (it has a USB outlet) and look at photos that way. After transferring the photos to the Flash Drives, I send some of the photos to family members who are in the photos. I have a few different Flash Drives for different photos........for instance: one for all the photos wife and I have taken since we met 16 years ago, another for all the old photos that my wife has, etc. I have two copies of these Flash Drives; one set at home and the other in our bank safe deposit box.
My father and I have gone through the arduous task of scanning all family photos and getting VHS tapes onto the computer. It's important to also have offsite backup of this stuff in the event a hard drive crashes, there is a fire, burglary, etc.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:06 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,349,541 times
Tracking, buying, and selling investments in the stock market and mutual funds.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:43 AM

8,362 posts, read 6,454,154 times
The computer is my entertainment, in the evening I have the TV on but its background and often I lose track of whats going on on TV. I go on my hobby forums, car forums, air gun forums, email, and city data where I post a lot on different forums.
When I want to buy something I reaserch it with my Chromebook. I just bought a new TV and got a real good deal thanks to my computer, plus I didn't know much about new digital flat screens and I also learned how to hook up my VCR to digital TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement