Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:47 AM

40 posts, read 38,257 times

Advertisements

It's easier to answer what I don't do on the computer.. that would be shower, cook and eat, sleep and vacuum/clean the house.. only because I don't have one of those .. crap, the mind went blank.. the little round auto vacuum robot things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:29 PM

130 posts, read 134,914 times
Ok, all of these answers begs the question, "How in the heck did we survive before computers?"

How many times have you looked up a definition of a word, looked where a town was located, look to see whatever happened to a celebrity, looked up an area code or zip code, the list goes on and on and on and.....

Even when I worked, we would laugh and ask ourselves the same question. Computers have become such an indespensible tool that I couldn't imagine living without it.

So, are we frittering our lives away or learning something each day?

Old 07-20-2015, 12:39 PM

130 posts, read 134,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opal219 View Post
.....only because I don't have one of those .. crap, the mind went blank.. the little round auto vacuum robot things...
You mean the "Roomba"? I googled it.

There's something else, "googled", how many new, and strange, words have entered our vernacular? Can you imagine going back just twenty years and telling someone, "Just google it"? Or, "I ordered it from Yahoo Shopping"? Or "I cracked my screen on my tablet"? (How, they would ask, can a tablet have a screen?)

Old 07-20-2015, 12:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,167,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark bridge View Post

So, are we frittering our lives away or learning something each day?
Yes!

Old 07-20-2015, 02:37 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,518,839 times
DH doesn't even know how to turn my computer on. He is 66.

I like to look up things, play games, mainly trivia and Bookworm, do the odd crossword puzzle online (though I prefer doing crosswords the old fashioned way).

I visit City-Data, of course, as well as a couple of other forums, Facebook, and Twitter (occasionally).

I like to post funny stories, photos and whine in my online blog.

Oh, and I have found some excellent recipes online.

Gotta love the internet! I'm another addict. I got my first computer in 2002.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,331,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
It's easier to state what I do NOT use the computer for: music (I can't hear, so my computer has no onboard speakers) but all the other computers we have do - yes, all the others - 2 mini-laptops, full size laptop for longer trips, a back-up computer, and my husband's computer. Each of our main computers is backed up daily since we are constantly dling something.

I run a non-profit in retirement; also do bookkeeping, recordkeeping, and post animals lost/found for 2 different rescues as well as keep track of transport needs.

We plan our vacations online, rent cars, bought our house and maybe buying a 2nd one for a friend - all without leaving home.

I started with a vic20 - yes, a "toy" that I used for a mailing list of over 3,000 for my company in the 80s, graduated to a C-64 and also did all the bookkeeping on it, finally moved up to a B-128 and got the kids interested on a TS1000.

If I had to give up things, the computer would be the very last I'd give up. It's my lifeline, my information, my social connections, and my entertainment.

My younger sister finally is learning to use a computer. Amazes me that she had no use for it until a year or two ago. She's a neanderthal at only 63.
Ah the memories. I remember the friends with Vic 20's and C-64's way back when in the 80's. And the diy machines. They seem so primitive now, but they were amazing back then. People would ask you why you'd need one to do what you could do with people....

I have several old laptops which still run. The xp is going to be my music machine. Its sound output is awesome connected to the tv speaker setup. I've figured out how to fix the win 7 laptops so I do not plan to run win 10....

My dad was a raido man in the navy. He had a garage full of raido equiptiment and as I was curious, explained how it worked. He even explained how electricity worked and how the tv signel got to the tv. I was never raised to stick with the familiar and found tech fascinating. I loved watching friends back in the 80's work on their diy's and wish I could make my own. And then there is my son who grew up sitting on my lap playing small kid games on my computer so he's never lived in a world without them.

Last edited by nightbird47; 07-20-2015 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 PM

40 posts, read 38,257 times
^DOS baby^
aww man.. still having an XP machine.. kinda jealous
ever since then micros... has gone out of control
if it were not for compatibility issues with some of the programs I mess around with I'd go linux in a heart beat.
I have 7.. not thrilled every time I get told I can't go in one of my own folders.. seems every time I boot I have to re-take ownership of the machine.. and don't get me started on the search function...

Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM

37,825 posts, read 41,158,528 times
News - takes me at least 2 hours to read the news in the morning. I get in e-mail links from news sites and then websites I just go to.

The Question of The Day in the Other Forum and the Name Five Movies in the Game Forum

Political Forum and Election Forum - Where I spend most of my time on CD

Photo Editing - Not just regular editing but some of the more artistic applications which can take awhile. This is done offline.

Games - One in particular, FlipWords2, Bejeweled3 and some Big City Adventures (hidden objects in different world cities plus puzzles).

Shopping and Bill Paying

ITunes - Music from my playlists while I do other things online.

Reading e-mail - Spend less time with this but in addition to mail and ads, I get newsletters to read and hear from out of state friends I have to reply to.

Weather.com

What Bird - Website I drop into occasionally.

Research - Especially for vacations but also to substantiate CD posts; Directions, too

YouTube and sometimes news radio

Ordering food

Other CD forums (not daily)

I don't watch movies on my PC not because of the PC, it's just the chair near the TV in a different room is more comfortable.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM

16,413 posts, read 30,418,989 times
I generally don't answer these types of questions as you spend most of your time listing out all of the things that you use your computer for and the person then implies that you are stupid for doing so. That happened to me recently at a local function when an older lady asked me what I did with my smartphone.

These are SOME of the things that I use my computer for (in no particular order):

Manage my finances (Excel spreadsheets)
Generate a steady income from various marketing websites (focus groups and the like)
Paying bills
Watch YouTube (no TV, I prefer to watch mostly Asian content - Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand)
Clear Channel Radio (mostly KFI, WLW)
Download podcasts for the road trips.
City Data, LthForum, Bogelheads
Read a good number of journals
Book travel (early and often) - save enough to cover my internet bill each year.
GasBuddy
Track the stock market
E-coupon from local Kroger's affiliate (real money saver) and to plan all my various grocery trips
Learning
Old time radio
Answering the stupid questions from people who REFUSE to access a computer
Watching sports (ESPN3)
Research - what used to take DAYS or WEEKS now takes seconds
Food sites - recipes and restaurants

Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,574,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

E-coupon from local Kroger's affiliate (real money saver) and to plan all my various grocery trips
Yes! Not only e-coupons but also a current list of specials, my Kroger rewards card, my shopping list, and my cookbook are all on my iPhone. All I carry into the store are my phone and my credit card. When Kroger finally starts accepting Apple Pay, all I'll need is my phone.

Sometimes when shopping I see an appealing selection of something not on my list. I open my cookbook app and pull up a recipe using that item. I can then add all the needed ingredients to my shopping cart and check for any new e-coupons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement