Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:34 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,667,654 times

Advertisements

I would feel lost and empty without a computer, my life and work has been computers. The first computer that I worked with in the 1960s was the IBM 1401 & 1403 using punch cards and tape. Also the IBM 7074 and the 360 later a massive mainframe system. I had one of the first TI 99-4 computers at my home in 1980. I have been involved with computers my entire adult live for work and recreation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 01:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
I use my computer for everything in retirement.

banking, grocery shopping, clothes shopping, paying bills, communication, entertainment

reading articles, news, keeping in touch, reading books

seeking information and knowledge, learning new things, recipes

buying items from Walmart.com, CVS.com, Amazon.com

many more!

Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
additional uses of my computer......listening to music through SiriusXMradio.com

listening to music through youtube.com

using TWITTER to follow the world of JAZZ, literary world, worlds of art and artists, poetry, articles on health, books, ideas, paintings, articles on exercise, food

Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
I write a blog and am active politically so I'm always on the computer. Plus staying in touch with friends and family.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:54 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Older adults and internet use | Pew Research Center

Quote:
For the first time, half of adults ages 65 and older are online

As of April 2012, 53% of American adults ages 65 and older use the internet or email. Though these adults are still less likely than all other age groups to use the internet, the latest data represent the first time that half of seniors are going online. After several years of very little growth among this group, these gains are significant.

Overall, 82% of all American adults ages 18 and older say they use the internet or email at least occasionally, and 67% do so on a typical day.

Once online, most seniors make internet use a regular part of their lives.

For most online seniors, internet use is a daily fixture in their lives. Among internet users ages 65 and older, 70% use the internet on a typical day. (Overall, 82% of all adult internet users go online on an average day.)

After age 75, internet and broadband use drops off significantly.

Internet usage is much less prevalent among members of the “G.I. Generation” (adults who are currently ages 76 and older)1 than among other age groups. As of April 2012, internet adoption among this group has only reached 34%, while home broadband use has inched up to 21%.

Seven in ten seniors own a cell phone, up from 57% two years ago.
This is 2012 data so it is reasonable that usage has gone up

Old 07-22-2015, 05:15 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,323,315 times
It's not a question if I use a computer. The question is how many do I use.

Computer 1; Spread sheets, word, chess, digital photos (not connected to internet).

Computer 2; E-mail, internet surfing, Forums, You tube, internet purchases.

Computer 3; Banking and financial only and nothing else.

Computer 4; Wife's computer, E-mail, internet surfing.

Computer 5; Old computer I use as back-up internet use.

I also have spare monitors, key boards, all the different cables,

Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,103,616 times
Games, paying bills, banking, shopping, social networking, writing, editing, photography and it's enhancement and cataloging, collecting music, sorting and making playlists to download to external device or Bluetooth, research, making PP vacation albums identical to the real ones, printing labels, letters, books/stories, archive, and the list goes on and one and on.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,575,435 times
And we should not forget about one of the most overlooked treasures on Internet. "YouTube."

You can learn how to do everything, from welding, running a lathe, to making jewelry or fixing a computer.

I use it all the time, to teach myself how to do things that interest me. The last ones where engraving, tig welding, and enameling.

Long Live You Tube!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:29 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
It's not a question if I use a computer. The question is how many do I use.

Computer 1; Spread sheets, word, chess, digital photos (not connected to internet).

Computer 2; E-mail, internet surfing, Forums, You tube, internet purchases.

Computer 3; Banking and financial only and nothing else.

Computer 4; Wife's computer, E-mail, internet surfing.

Computer 5; Old computer I use as back-up internet use.

I also have spare monitors, key boards, all the different cables,

That is a great idea for number 3. I think we will implement that in the near future. I have a couple of computers that can fit that bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement