Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Well, at least Maine is not number 1 anymore. They're only the 2nd highest now.

TAX BURDEN

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...ndliest/8.html
Be careful with these rankings. Two of the things they do can be very misleading. They often exclude local taxes which mean that property taxes (which can be the largest burden in many states) are not included. Calculations are also done on a 'per capita' basis so the large demographic differences in states sway the result. I urge people to do a personal evaluation of tax for their own situation and target location rather than trust these surveys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Default Curious?

I'm all for retiring in a less expensive location. Cost of living will always go up faster than the value of the dollars we have for retirement.

Here's my question. Is it important to you to have things to do? Or is money the biggest concern? I like a lot of areas that are relatively low cost of living but what scares me is having nothing to do.

So I've read all the books in the library and been to WalMart. What next?

Old 04-10-2007, 11:14 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Be careful with these rankings. Two of the things they do can be very misleading. They often exclude local taxes which mean that property taxes (which can be the largest burden in many states) are not included. Calculations are also done on a 'per capita' basis so the large demographic differences in states sway the result. I urge people to do a personal evaluation of tax for their own situation and target location rather than trust these surveys.
Absolutely! These analyses are just averages and never intended to indicate one's individual financial situation.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Yellowsnow it is very important to us to have things to do when we retire.....I don't want to be stuck out in the sticks....I want access to plays, music, theater, good restaurants, volunteer work, an airport, good services, shopping, as well as natural beauty and quiet. I also don't want to live on a street with unkempt trailer parks or people who have used car lots on their front lawns or where WalMart is considered "good shopping". I want to have something in common with my neighbors so I don't want to live in a neighborhood where the majority of my neighbors aren't college graduates.
There has to be more to life than cheap houses and cost of living.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:01 PM

83 posts, read 733,944 times
Cattknapp - My husband and I have bought a retirment home in Williamsburg that we are currently renting out until we are ready to move. I seem to remember at one point you were also considering that area. I'm curious to know what made you choose Kentucky instead.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
".....I don't want to be stuck out in the sticks....I want access to plays, music, theater, good restaurants, volunteer work, an airport, good services, shopping, as well as natural beauty and quiet. I also don't want to live on a street with unkempt trailer parks or people who have used car lots on their front lawns or where WalMart is considered "good shopping". I want to have something in common with my neighbors so I don't want to live in a neighborhood where the majority of my neighbors aren't college graduates.
There has to be more to life than cheap houses and cost of living."

Amen sister! After living in a large city (Houston) for most of my life I could no more go to a small town with nothing to do than I could fly to the moon. We expect to spend quite a few years in a retirement situation so why would I want to give up all the things that have been a part of my life for so long. My husband and I are most definitely not part of the "Denny's for Dinner" crowd and never will be. We also have no interest in living in a community of seniors - it just ain't natural! Most of our friends are younger than we are and just because we retire we don't expect that to change. Also, we expect to have jobs of some sort for hopefully ten years or more afte we retire so a small town won't cut it for that reason. We want all the same things that you do because it is what we have always had. We'd stay in Houston were it not for the weather & traffic but think we can be very happy in Raleigh. We considered Kentucky but they have very unfriendly liquor laws and would have a big issue bringing in our sizeable wine collection.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:17 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarJ View Post
Sounds like we have both found our Paradise on earth. We lived in Wrightwood (San Gabriel Mtns-Mountain High Skiing, Ski Sunrise,etc.) and that was a different kind of Paradise but we moved to be closer to good medical facilities, the malls, restaurants, no winters. We used to camp at Doheney and San Clemente and often drove down on a Friday night, had dinner on the pier, then stayed over in a motel. We always loved the beach but it was too pricey for us. Finding Shorecliffs Terrace was a blessing for us. We don't have to worry about rent increases because we are a resident owned park. Many of the homes in the park have been remodeled, some with garages. When first time visitors come to our home they can't believe they're in a mobile home. More Californians probably could have what we have if they could get over the idea that mobile home means "trailer trash". Many of the people coming into our park have sold a California home for $700k -800k and bought one of our mobiles for half the cost, banking $300k or more. Your place sounds ideallic and you probably want to keep its location secret or you'll have all the unhappy Californians rushing there and driving up real estate prices. If you ever come down this way, come visit our little piece of Paradise.
Hi again MarJ...
People do have the wrong impression regarding 'trailer' homes. That's because of the way the media/movies, etc., have portrayed them plus the fact that mobile home parks were populated by people of lower incomes. There is a tremendous prejudice against 'poor' people in this country... but that's not my point or reason for writing.

My brother's former in-laws moved from their beautiful coastal home in Massachusetts after retirement, to a mobile home park in the Cape Cod area. That was the first time I ever saw the inside of a mobile home or 'trailer'. It was BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't believe how nice the interior of that home was. And their area was very nice, mostly retired people who definitely displayed 'pride of ownership.' This was back in the late '70s. The former father-in-law has since passed on but his wife still lives there, although she is very lonely. The winters are hard there too... especially if you're elderly and all alone in the world.

The area you live in is equally nice, and has much nicer weather. I remember going by there when we first moved to that area and thinking, wow... those are really nice homes. Now to hear how inexpensive they are/were! I had no idea, frankly.. or we might have considered moving there ourselves (pre-South Coast Oregon idea, that is!). We looked at Talega when it was first being built. They had a 55-community there and my husband qualified. Beautiful homes and while we could have afforded to buy into it at that time (since he was still fully employed), the HOA fees were outrageous! Something like $500 a month! So, that killed that idea.

It's nice, too, that Shore Cliffs is resident owned. You have control over everything.

I live in a town called "Brookings". It's the southern-most coastal town in Oregon. The secret really is out about it... most of the people moving here are in fact Californian retirees. But the prices have gone sky-high in the last five years so it's not the deal it used to be. And it's definitely not for everyone. You mention 'being close to medical facilities'. We have very limited medical care here. The doctors we get to come and stay (for a few years before they move away) are not 'creme de la creme' to say the least. There are no shopping malls, but then again, there is no traffic. The worse traffic is in the summer months, tourist season, and that is laughable for any of us who have lived in California (anywhere in California). But to hear the locals talk, it's mayhem!

Despite the peculiarities of the area, I do love living here and I doubt I'll ever leave for another area.

Ever so often, I go down to OC with my husband who is often down there on business. The next time I'm by Shore Cliffs ... I'll honk "hello" as I drive by!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 07:02 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
I think I know this mobile home park in the Cape Cod area you are talking about, I am origianally from the area, there are not that many parks In Mass to begin with, so if its the one off route 495 in Wareham, as you approach the Cape, that is a beautiful park. I think there are many lonely elderly people there that have lost a spouse, but really do maintain their homes.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 PM

200 posts, read 683,808 times
Another place you may like to check out is Palm Coast FL - great forumModerator cut: promoting other forums not permitted

I have lived here for nearly 17 yrs - lots of growth and services .... great winters. Only 6 miles from ocean (north of DAYTONA 32 miles; south of JAX about 60). Homes still affordable but taxes seem to be high but have a new govenor that is trying to settle that. Have homestead taxes which really helps!!! Just a thought. I work with Seniors (music teacher) and I have enjoyed it here. Lots of manufactured homes but they are getting hit hard with insurance. google PALM COAST FL - you may be surprised!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Here's my question. Is it important to you to have things to do? Or is money the biggest concern? I like a lot of areas that are relatively low cost of living but what scares me is having nothing to do.

So I've read all the books in the library and been to WalMart. What next?
Figure out the things you want to do in retirement and then find places that offer all of them in the abundance, variety and quality you seek.

Once you have that list, apply your other criteria like cost, weather, near a major airport, near applicable medical facilities, etc., to prioritize your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement