Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:55 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times

Advertisements

Have you thought about what you want to do when you retire? At this point you should be impatient and enthused about what you want to be able to do. If not, well, I just feel sorry for you and hope you find your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:18 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBilly View Post
Scared to quit my lucrative business and suddenly not work.
Anyone else been through it? Any suggestions?
I'm in a similar situation at 61. Self-employed internet retailer.

I could just stop working now, right this moment. But I don't want to. I have goals I haven't accomplished yet, plus this is fun and I still feel I'm growing and learning.

I sell jewelry on the internet. It's all warehoused somewhere else. All I have to do is package it and ship it to the warehouse. When an item sells, it's shipped out of the warehouse. I never have to make runs to the post office or anything like that. I can take a month or two off and the business keeps going. It would take years for the warehouse to run out of my jewelry even if I never replenished my stock again.

If I could work six months out of the year and take six months off, why retire at all?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:54 PM

314 posts, read 238,472 times
Default ...good good stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
One way to do it: if your business can be sold, hire a business broker. Don't say anything to your customers/clients. When the business is sold, you write a letter saying that you have taken on a partner or manager and you stay on to introduce him to everyone who is a big customer/client. You teach the new owner the business. After about a month you start being more and more absent. After two months you retire.

In this manner you receive compensation for your business asset and you leave your customers with a trusted person to carry on.

This needs to be posted in the town square.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingatfl View Post
one way to do it: If your business can be sold, hire a business broker. Don't say anything to your customers/clients. When the business is sold, you write a letter saying that you have taken on a partner or manager and you stay on to introduce him to everyone who is a big customer/client. You teach the new owner the business. After about a month you start being more and more absent. After two months you retire.

In this manner you receive compensation for your business asset and you leave your customers with a trusted person to carry on.
this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 07-07-2017, 04:10 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Fire your worst customer/client.
Repeat sporadically during the next few years.
It is what I plan to do here at age 68.7.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:50 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
I was a self employed dairy farmer and set my 62nd birthday as the day the cattle all got sold and I exited the dairy business. ( that was 10 years ago )

I had planned to sell the farm and machinery a month after that, but my son decided he wanted to come back .

I stayed an extra 4 1/2 years living there and renting land and facilities to my son until he could get a govt loan and purchase it from me.

You don't get any days off if you are a one man dairy farmer.
Cows need to be milked 2x a day at 12 hour intervals.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:52 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
When I was ready to retire, and was self employed, I sold the business and have enough money/investments to live on until I'm 100.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Self Employed how do you quit/retire?

As per above... create an attractive business for someone to buy and grow.

If it is a 'brick and mortar', which is likely to stay put and to stay healthy.... keep the tangible asset (Real Estate) and sell the business headache.

Use a NNN rental agreement (Tenant pays taxes, insurance, improvements). You collect checks while exploring Tahiti.

A cousin just retired and sold a manufacturing business (Capital income from sale, +$14,000 / month rental income on facility), Then they built a Dairy Queen on the highway frontage (Which she will grow to success and sell the business and keep the RE). Should be a pretty 'sweet' retirement.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:30 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
If you can you sell the business to an employee or a competitor. If a competitor that you might have to stick around for a few months.

I would also cut down to 5 days a week and then maybe 4 if you do not close shop in the next couple of months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement