Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 02:39 PM

4,546 posts, read 6,830,728 times

Advertisements

Wow. Time has sped up again re-entering the workforce. I went from not always being sure what day it was when I awoke to definitely knowing today was Monday! Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 04:28 PM

It's been 4 months since I went back to work. I truly am enjoying my new job and learning a lot. My challenge has been to keep myself limited to the 20 hours a week as originally planned! No worries. I am finding that there is plenty of work to be found if one steps outside the norm, is willing to learn and take a risk. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to take an early retirement and go in a totally different direction.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:06 PM

I've now been back to work for 10 months. It has been quite interesting and time has flown by since taking a "part-time" position. COVID19 threw me into the role of an essential worker and I've been working nearly full-time since March. I've also mixed in continuing education requirements, certification courses and licensing exams. Given the current situation, I'm actually happy to be busy and diverted from watching or listening to the news. I am fortunate that I am largely able to control my schedule and set my own priorities. At this point, I no longer consider myself retired.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:19 PM

22,140 posts, read 13,173,357 times
Interesting! Thanks for the updates.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:25 PM

72 posts, read 261,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I've now been back to work for 10 months. It has been quite interesting and time has flown by since taking a "part-time" position. COVID19 threw me into the role of an essential worker and I've been working nearly full-time since March. I've also mixed in continuing education requirements, certification courses and licensing exams. Given the current situation, I'm actually happy to be busy and diverted from watching or listening to the news. I am fortunate that I am largely able to control my schedule and set my own priorities. At this point, I no longer consider myself retired.
I read from your very first post to your most recent update. So interesting! I'm 48 and thinking about when would be a good time to retire. I would love to "retire" by 57 but knowing myself, I know that I would likely work part time to stay busy. So from what you stated, you got bored after a year or so? That's what I'm afraid of. I would be leaving a very good paying job. I would hate to leave only to realize that I'd rather be working full time again. I would not be able to return to the job after leaving. Decisions, decisions.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,807 posts, read 58,350,670 times
I've never been bored one minute for retirement. Whether age 15 or age 50. Way too many better things to do. We do a lot of international and elderly volunteer work. Some in very interesting and beautiful places. We also have rural rental properties in very desirable destinations. I do not hear a j-o-b calling me.

I would do another PT international paid gig if it were to a nice place on my terms. Don't see that happening, which is fine too.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:30 PM

22,140 posts, read 13,173,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I've never been bored one minute for retirement. Whether age 15 or age 50. Way too many better things to do. We do a lot of international and elderly volunteer work. Some in very interesting and beautiful places. We also have rural rental properties in very desirable destinations. I do not hear a j-o-b calling me.

I would do another PT international paid gig if it were to a nice place on my terms. Don't see that happening, which is fine too.
Another "WE" are not bored; it's different when you're single/alone.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:59 PM

260 posts, read 154,995 times
I am single and alone and retired at 54 in October. At this point I have no desire to go back to work and left a decent paying job. If I were to go back to work I definitely wouldn't get the salary I was making.

So far I haven't been bored. I been busy trying to learn how to ride my bike, downsizing, and relaxing.

I am happy for the OP to have found joy in part time work. It is just not for everyone though.

I think it does not matter of status of single or in a relationship. What matters is how you define your time or if you need someone to define it for you. If of course, given a choice, I would rather be in a relationship, but I believe I still would stay unworkingly retired.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,807 posts, read 58,350,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Another "WE" are not bored; it's different when you're single/alone.
no WE in the last 6 months (Covid sequestering in separate parts of USA. )

Neither have had time to be bored!

Much of our 'work/life' was being 'separated' (foreign assignments (for years)).
When working in USA, there were international trips every month.

When home... there was farming to do (from sun-up until time to go to night shift factory job.)

Weekends = more PT jobs and often eldercare or sibling care.

But our rare moments together are precious (but not completely necessary or predictable).

Recliners don't get much use.
No TV (since 1968)

Old 07-06-2020, 11:49 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,705,529 times
Again: there may not be early retirement for anyone who is currently working. It's time to have a Plan B. We CANNOT think like we did 6 months ago.

As I said on another thread, a while back my pension provider (which is one of the healthiest pension providers in The US) sent out a notice saying that we pensioners don't have to worry about our pensions -- until summer 2021 -- and that's assuming that the economy doesn't get much worse than it already is -- which is hardly a sure bet.

Time to step out of our dreams and into reality, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement