Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM

5,945 posts, read 5,089,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I certainly have no idea either. Many of us have seen people fade with dementia or die due to cancer. I cannot see where focusing on those potential issues helps any of us. If anything maybe there is a warning to enjoy life and be active while we can.

I agree with your comments. After I read the original post and then some of the replies (I added my own comment), I got to thinking..... gee what a depressing thing to talk about. Does it need discussion? I imagine some do feel that way and I have no issue with that.

But for me, I'm probably not going to look at this again. I don't need to read something that will keep me depressed anymore than I am with my sister.

I had a date with a guy whose wife had died. First date he took me to a nice restaurant and cried through the whole date, talking about her and how she died. (She died in bed). Second date he talked about how she had built her own coffin and when she died she had put on weight and the concern was would she fit in the coffin.

There was no third date. Enough is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 07:25 PM

18,655 posts, read 33,228,457 times
What a hot second date. Not.

And people wonder why some of us are single!

Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,616,743 times
Crying won't change your fate.

Planning might make it easier.

Most of my family has died from heart attack so I'm not planning on ALZ, but then you know what happens when you make plans. I do worry about leaving my DH alone in this world.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,305,823 times
I am at risk. I have some general plans that will come into greater fruition over the next 12 months. One thing is relocating to a right-to-die state, however, bear in mind most have a 6 month proviso and most Alzheimers / Dementia Dx don't indicate death within 6 months. It's a catch 22 where the impairment level at the 6 month point is too great to be able to do the deed.

So, may need to take a less ideal approach if I end up Dx'd.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,973,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yes, but Alzheimer's is only one type of dementia. Granted, the worst type, but many demented persons suffer from other forms of dementia. My guidelines cover dementia in general.
This is an excellent point. There are various forms of dementia. When I post in the caregivers' forum, I emphasize that it is necessary to get a proper diagnosis. You can't assume that someone has Alzheimer's. Why take meds for Alzheimers' if that isn't what you have?

But getting a correct diagnosis beyond dementia can be hard if you live in a rural area. We need more geriatricians. There aren't that many around.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 PM

18,655 posts, read 33,228,457 times
Cold comfort, but the medications that are "for Alzheimer's" don't seem to be particularly effective.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,000,568 times
NYGal: Oh my. You made me laugh.

I started "seeing" a man whose wife has dementia and is in the same home my Mom was in. He was so sad. I thought I could cheer him up by having lunch a few times, and seeing one movie with him. It turned into something I absolutely did not want and had to tell him I could not see him any more. I got the hint when he asked me if I thought we would be "compatible" (meaning intimacy). What was friendship for me was a whole lot more to him. Mixed messages on both our parts.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:47 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,847,663 times
I don't think my odds are higher than average, but I do think about it. To me, a mental decline would be crueler than a physical one. I love to read, do crosswords, play Scrabble, etc. If I knew for certain my sound mind was on borrowed time, I would prefer to end it.

Fortunately, there is no family history. My mother is 89, and while a bit forgetful (she makes copious lists these days), she is still quite sharp in most areas.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:50 PM

10,593 posts, read 12,022,047 times
No on has said we should 'dwell' on anything. But to not discuss it is just putting you head in the sand. But for people who choose to do that, the consequences are on them (and their families or loved ones)

As for the two posts mentioned:
1) I read the NYT article about the woman who planned her death and found if enlightening. (I didn't know about the phenobarbitol, or the ways to leave written trail so that no one is blamed after you've gone (e-mail written months ahead for example.) I recently saw the movie still Alice and there was a scene about that kind of thing as well.

2) As for Daily Mail link to 5 ways to ward off Alzheimers......
Not saying that article is a crock but my mom was a Ph.D. – a minister and teacher – TWO highly cerebral professions with lots of speaking, personal interaction, reading, writing presentations, etc. A very devout pastor – so didn’t drink or smoke, and was of normal weight. And she had (was diagnosed with) Alzheimers. We started noticing signs at about age 83.
And the woman profiled in the NYT article was a Cornell psychology professor one month shy of her 65th.

I’ve heard that studies say games and high cognitive brain activity lifestyles and careers are protective against dementia.
And I’ve heard comments that – oddly enough – highly educated people ARE just as at risk…and high education is NOT protective…..so which is it?

Last edited by selhars; 07-27-2015 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,931,333 times
I have worked in nursing homes and I spent 10 years taking care of my father. I wish I could say I have done my duty but I am also at risk because of my father. I doubt a day goes by without at least a fleeting thought about this subject. I try not to dwell on it because it's something I can't change. If it happens, it happens.

Someone mentioned the meds. My father was on most of them and I can say they were all unimpressive. This is the best we have to offer right now, medications that do very little or nothing at all. Maybe they hand out the pills for the placebo effect. I guess it would feel better to be able to think you were doing all you could do.

Some of you have read my motto. I would rather die in a parachuting accident than in a nursing home. And I mean it. I plan to take care of the problem by whatever means necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement