Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 09:40 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,955,079 times

Advertisements

I like statistics so I spent few minutes going through the replies and tallied up the responses and here is what I got

1. More religious in old age: 10
2. No change in belief or religious practice: 24
3. Less religious or more disillusioned with organized religion: 24

It's interesting that quite a few people (including myself) who reported becoming less religious also reported becoming more spiritual.

I did not break down the believers vs non-believers in the no change category but there appeared to be more non-believers.

I tried my best not to recount opinion from the same poster(s) but might have over counted few.

So the responses in this thread appear to confirm finding #10 in the report below.

http://www.oregon.gov/dhs/apd-dd-tra...of%20Aging.pdf

Quote:
Myth ten: More religious
Members of the present older generation did not become more religious as
they aged, but grew up in a time when there was more formal religious training
given to children. Their lives were often started on a more religious path that
continued throughout their lives. It seems the difference is generational rather
than age-related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 05:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,999,515 times
I am a bit more privately religious. Spend a couple of minutes most night saying my prayers when I go to bed. I am not and have not been a participant in church services more than a half dozen times in many decades, even though I attended Catholic school from the first through the 9th grades. I like to get communion on those rare occasions, but don't feel the need to do it very often. If you believe in God, I don't think you need to practice it in public. I don't think you need a group or a middleman to pray. When I was in hospital, I agreed to get the last rites and I took communion once. I figured that was good enough.

Last edited by bobspez; 06-14-2017 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,624,404 times
I don't like it when CNN anchors/journalists say "we're praying for them" or "you are in our prayers."

Seems to me if a God were listening, he would not have let the tragedy befall all the people in the first place.

So I do not get all the references to prayers by journalists.

And plenty of people do not pray, but the CNN journalists saying the above act like it is universal for everyone to pray during every tragedy.

I know the journalists are just trying to be nice and show compassion, but I think it's weird that they make it sound like they are speaking for the majority. And they do not want to seem as if they are just using interviewees during tragedies for stories. But it's just not a necessary thing to say.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-14-2017 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,905,299 times
I am way way way less religious in my oldER age...it took me into my 60's to get here and I finally got off the fence.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times
I have started attending mass again. I enjoy the social aspect of it and also doing good deeds. I also attend a drum circle. Another way to gather and share.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,845,883 times
Short answer is no. But I'm Becoming more political as I'm getting older, does that count?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 PM

25,446 posts, read 9,900,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I am way way way less religious in my oldER age...it took me into my 60's to get here and I finally got off the fence.
It took me into my 50s before I became non-religious.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:34 AM

7,242 posts, read 9,429,093 times
As I've gotten older I've become more and more annoyed by the hypocrisy in organized religion.

Usually their focus is on maximizing revenues and manipulating weak people via fear. I've had church committee people show up at my front door begging me for a monthly fees commitment two weeks after visiting their church for the first time.

I've also observed so many events among "religious" people who act very differently from whatever they preach. My sister worked in a Catholic church rectory kitchen where she was told to "shoo away the beggars who come to the kitchen door" or "they'll just keep coming back".

Organized religion offers nothing for me.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:48 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,147,215 times
As I get older, I try to avoid "getting set in my ways". I try often unsuccessfully to be more tolerant of others. I try to tolerate, if not support, such lifestyle choices as gay marriage and trans gender choices. When it comes to religion my attempts to be tolerant have not gone very well. ISIS is a good example. It is clear that ISIS is not just some fringe movement, but it supported by tens of millions of people. I know that what ISIS does is no worse than the outcomes of our western religions. We still have our evangelists and missionaries who want to change the rest of the world to match their beliefs. They would like to ban abortions, promote creationism beliefs, control education to match religious beliefs, and in short make everyone else follow their beliefs. Some Americans even applaud politicians, including Presidents, who claim to make decisions based on religious beliefs. Like ISIS we have had our periods of extreme persecution and terrorism including crusades, warring Popes, witch hunts, Inquisitions, nationalistic wars fueled by religious rivalries, and more.

Try as I might, I have to admit over time I have not only become less religious, I have become less tolerant of those who are religious and want others to conform to their beliefs. This leaves me in a strange position. I want to be more tolerant but I cannot be more tolerant of those who do not reciprocate and want others to follow their beliefs. I cannot but help believe the world went awry. Centuries ago the ancient Greeks started to develop "philosophies" where we questioned our beliefs and instead tried to use thinking and analysis and logic to view our world. That only lasted a brief period and western civilization sunk into the Dark Ages. We still seem to have one foot back in the Dark Ages and just cannot seem to move forward.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:07 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,279,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
.... Centuries ago the ancient Greeks started to develop "philosophies" where we questioned our beliefs and instead tried to use thinking and analysis and logic to view our world. That only lasted a brief period and western civilization sunk into the Dark Ages. We still seem to have one foot back in the Dark Ages and just cannot seem to move forward.
I see us as Brer Rabbit punching the daylights out of the Tar Baby, and wondering why he can't get unstuck.

Last edited by kevxu; 06-15-2017 at 06:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement