Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 03:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,203,967 times

Advertisements

No, I cannot say I have become more religious in older age -- I have always been religious! I will say that as I have traveled through life, I have met and gotten to know people of a variety of faiths, and this has been a good thing. Hubby and I took a break from church for about 5-6 years, mostly when I was care-taking FT and it was hard to get away. We enjoy our faith community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,036,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Raised by wolves, as a friend says, recognized early that I was atheist, still atheist. I believe in nature and science and the insignificance of human life. No deities.
Gave you a rep because this is fairly close to my thoughts. I often tell people I was raised by a pack of squirrels in the Bronx, and those who know me are familiar with my self description of being a flaming hardcore atheist. I try not to discuss religion with people because I've been told I come across as condescending and snarky. And that's probably true.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:04 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,905,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Yeah, I guess you did not spend your life in Afghanistan...or India...or Africa...or any third world country...or any USA ghetto/barrio...or LA's skidrow, or ever being homeless...
No I didn't spend my life in the places you mention and your statement about "here" was wide open. But I was born after great depression and know some tough times from my childhood but not where you talk of.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:28 PM

13,746 posts, read 9,839,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
... I'll pray to anyone to live longer. ... She had a passion for LIFE.
But that’s not universal. And I’d argue that while there’s no 1-1 correspondence, the “do you celebrate or merely endure life†question strongly informs our religious views (or lack thereof).

A person with abiding faith in a providential, omnipotent god, might bewail episodic visitation by suffering and injustice, but would be facing an inconsistency if he/she were to view life itself as a raw deal and an unpleasant odyssey to be merely endured. Sure, this life could be a testing-ground for something forthcoming that’s insuperably better. But a person without such faith is free to espouse the negative belief, that life is overall less preferable than its absence, though of course he/she need not at all be necessarily so inclined.

In my own case, I view life as more of a burden and a responsibility, than a joy or a much-welcomed gift. It’s something that I have, something that it incumbent upon me to endure. How it ends – or what, if anything, comes after it – I can not fathom. But most assuredly I don’t have a “passion†for living, let alone for long-life.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,344,455 times
I was raised christan, and we went to church. I don't recall having a strong sense of faith, though, and what I really liked at church was the show. This was the Episcopal church, with more formality than some and less than the Catholic religion. When I got old enough to choose, I quit going.

What I always felt was very spiritual. But the stuff which I felt the magic was from flowers and how nature dances this careful ballet. I remember reading about some of the tribes and their view of nature being alive and powerful. Christan stuff never made any sense with me. This did.

I met people involved in paganism as an adult, and just knew that I had found my home. I was sort of quiet about it but this was the time when all the fundies were pushing their lifestyle for all of us. I wear my symbols and will explain what they mean if someone asks. It hasn't happened for a long time, but one person backed away saying a prayer for his god to save me.

To me, spirituality is an internal thing, and our link with something beyond and greater than us. It can be an ancient tree, or place where people meet to join their faith together. It can be pagan ritual, either private or shared. It can be any other form which symbolically holds a connection with a faith. I tend toward naturalistic paganism, rather than a lot of complicated ritual. But when adding a little to something you say, I speak of the Godesss.

I find it interesting that when some of the heavily biblical turn speak of spiratuality, it is only within their world, and others are 'wrong' and have to be 'saved'. I ignore them.

There are many ways to find spirit, and it is a good thing, but those who consider themselves believers MUST appreciate that others will not share it and deserve and should recieve equal respect.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:45 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,541,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am not nor have I ever been a very religious person. I do believe in a "God" but don't subscribe to any particular dogmas.

One thing I've noticed with the retirees I know is that many seem to become increasingly religious and introspective as time passes and they realize they don't have too much time left in this world. I think some were simply too busy with work, raising children, and day to day responsibilities to honestly give religion much thought, and now have more time to attend services, etc.

Did you find yourself become more interested in religion in your old age/retirement? Why or why not?
I am actually less religious than in my growing up years.
At least as far as"organized religion" goes.

Why? Why not?

Well, I've already had the "different experience" of having died before. It took 4 shocks to restore my heart to beating, and had the 4th not worked, the EMTs were going to give up. I was clinically dead for 8 minutes.

So, I've been there done that, and I know what is waiting with the superior energy of the universe.

Organized religion is nice, and gives people "good direction", but is so far off from the real reality, that I can't focus on them ( the organized religion denomination s) with any satisfaction. It is great for those whose FAITH is great, but not for me anymore.
I will say I don't fear death, no one should as it will happen to all of us.
I can say I look forward to it.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:46 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,656,356 times
I was raised totally Catholic including 12 years of Catholic schools & experienced a deep & sincere "conversion" experience to a form of more conservative, really fundamentalist christianity when I entered my 20's. Church several times a week & bible studies, etc... Even my university studies had a strong religious minor.

As I reached my late 20's I realized that I wasn't really believing it much anymore for a number of reasons: explanations that really didn't make sense unless one was willing to suspend all critical thinking & also the exploitation by politicians of a group of people that are open to believe & follow without needing any proof or basis in reality, just rhetoric & symbols manipulated.

It has only been in much later years that I admitted to being agnostic, & probably atheist... although that too presumes a knowledge of what's unknowable & so I can't fully claim that I guess. Just this afternoon I was thinking that in spirituality I've become like Siddartha looking at the river & seeing that inexorable movement/life force propelling forward & we appear for a time as brilliant individual waves or white caps & then are subsumed & disappear into the river's constant progress.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:32 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,751,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Yeah, I guess you did not spend your life in Afghanistan...or India...or Africa...or any third world country...or any USA ghetto/barrio...or LA's skidrow, or ever being homeless...
As I've gotten older I have come to realize that a good portion of the badness "here" stems from the consequences of us human beings (even "famous" pastors) mistaking the lessons of religion (literally: "to bind, as in binding people together in obligation") and consequently having regularly and frequently treated "here" as if it were unimportant rather than the target of that obligation. As I've gotten more religious I have come to realize that we're supposed to be making "here" into paradise. Instead, we wage war; marginalize others for personal gain; and despoil the land, sea and air.

These places you refer to are examples of the work set forth for us - by God or circumstance, take your pick - that work being working against the worst "badness". As such, both approaches, religious and areligious, when applied conscientiously rather than grounded in self-motivation, remarkably lead to the same conclusion, the same obligations.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,792,968 times
Not more religious. More spiritual, in a very private and quiet way.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:16 AM

8,431 posts, read 6,535,428 times
In today's society being too secular is like being too healthy.

And sadly that is evident in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement