Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:36 PM

8,412 posts, read 6,514,468 times

Advertisements

I go to two strict, exclusionary, fundamentalist churches, one Sat. evening, the other Sunday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 12:29 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,470,664 times
I grew up in a non-rigid Catholic family. Mom was Lutheran and converted in the 50's to shut up her inlaws..... we went to Catholic schools until my mother was pissed off at the judgemental lay teachers who came down hard on my younger sister who had epilepsy. So much for a loving, accepting environment.

I stopped going to church at age 17. Still was "spiritual". I do not know nor do I dwell on whether or not there is a God. I believe in things right in front of my face. That's a lot.

I am living in a VERY rigid community (mormon) and we're about to leave for another state. And I was thinking about this community....they are so very tribal. And exclusive. I never cared about being on the outside looking in - but it does bother others.

I see the same rigidity in Mormonism as I did in Catholicism. Pretty Sad. People eventually do or don't figure it out that they can think for themselves. It's all about control - and who has it. Them or you.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:43 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,100,198 times
Yes, I have become more religious with age.

When I was very young, I was taught to fear God. In my teens and twenties, I was very agnostic.

There was this God that didn't seem to answer my prayers, or do much of anything. I guess this is the age range where we become the most rebellious anyway, but I didn't understand a God that allowed such evil to flourish - even in my own home.

In my late 20s, while fighting anesthesia for emergency surgery was when I reclaimed God, by allowing myself to be overtaken while praying, "God, I am in your hands." Interestingly enough, I lived.

I am now, after a lifetime of emergencies, deaths, begging for mercy for someone I loved that was suffering, and seeing what awaits me on the other side, I am a true believer again. I do not fear death and I do not fear hell. I also do not fear God anymore.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:48 PM

8,922 posts, read 5,660,352 times
No, Less religious. I have seen the light that most all religions are gimmicky and try to suck you in with their unproven stories on Jesus and god. Tax the church....

Old 11-11-2018, 01:12 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,141,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
...... People eventually do or don't figure it out that they can think for themselves. It's......
By definition religion is about belief, not logic, not reasoning, not thinking.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:08 PM

40,997 posts, read 49,426,976 times
I really do hope there is a heaven and hell. Truly evil people who are not caught and punished here on Earth need a very bad place where they eventually are punished for an eternity.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:10 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,256,863 times
Nope. Still not a believer.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,876,959 times
I don't believe there is a heaven or hell, it's all here and those who deserve it are getting what they deserve right here.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:17 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,673,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I really do hope there is a heaven and hell. Truly evil people who are not caught and punished here on Earth need a very bad place where they eventually are punished for an eternity.
Bad news: this attitude gets you to hell. So I guess you'd better start hoping there isnt one.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 PM

144 posts, read 103,670 times
Less religious. I think of it as growing in wisdom, or evolving if you will. It's not necessarily something I set out to do, but more a natural path that happened as I became more introspective.
When you start looking at religion, (especially the current white evangelical version that's infected our country), you realize that it is mostly made up of man-made traditions and laws. Something that Jesus condemned the Pharisees for. Different religions, denominations, and even local church bodies all have their own versions of what the truth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement