Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,329,232 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 02:10 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,430,779 times
One thing that occurs to me while reading comments here and elsewhere: some people who identify as Christians often have strong beliefs that have nothing to do with what Jesus (allegedly) talked about. A lot of admonitions that are cherry-picked from the Old Testament (while ignoring many others) and others that are cultural beliefs external to any holy book.

I say this, not intending to pick on anyone, but just because it often strikes me that people don't even know their holy book, but rather depend on someone else to tell them what to think.

Having said this, I think the idea of being religious is a separate issue from the complaints I just made.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:16 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,309,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Bad news: this attitude gets you to hell. So I guess you'd better start hoping there isnt one.

It's my understanding that the ticket to Hell isn't based on attitude.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:39 AM

8,431 posts, read 6,535,428 times
From the posts it's apparent that those who don't believe are a lot more concerned than those who do.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 AM

5,303 posts, read 5,278,819 times
Funny, Im reading these posts as those who don't believe arent concerned in the least.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:56 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,682,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
It's my understanding that the ticket to Hell isn't based on attitude.
That's not what Jesus said. Granted, the concept of Hell is not limited to those who claim to believe in Jesus.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,682,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
From the posts it's apparent that those who don't believe are a lot more concerned than those who do.
That's not what I got from this thread at all. Perhaps you could point out one or two posts that lead you to think so?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:02 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,147,215 times
My concern is that religious people often want others to follow their beliefs. That is why we have had and continue to have religious wars, witch hunts, inquisitions, blue laws, censorship, rewriting of history and a huge list of other atrocities.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:33 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,656,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
One thing that occurs to me while reading comments here and elsewhere: some people who identify as Christians often have strong beliefs that have nothing to do with what Jesus (allegedly) talked about. ....
This is a very strong element that caused me to depart from evangelical Christianity after years of total commitment to it: my cohorts were much more committed to what "church leaders" said than Jesus purportedly said in the Bible. I felt that, in America anyway, the followers should be called not Christians but "Churchians" since the building of megachurches & the adherence to political philosophies that were pretty much the opposite of "...blessed are the peacemakers... the poor & poor in spirit..." & the parable of the Good Samaritan - taking care of a stranger who arrives from another society - has been perverted beyond recognition.

Also I began to learn that the god of the evangelical church, while all-knowing & wise, apparently was terrible at handling money & that we were continually supposed to be bailing out "his works" with more & more of our own $$$.

But once inside it is very hard to see the forest for the trees & since most of one's social community is inside the tent it's very hard to leave after a while. Now that I'm retired & near the end of the road that isn't straight & narrow anymore I don't feel the need to be thinking about some fanciful hereafter or whatever... But all should believe whatever gives them peace as long as they don't try to force that on the rest of us through legal or political hijinks.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:35 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,087,082 times
Yes. Especially after I witnessed the decline and death of my parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement