Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 06:14 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,140,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why the attitude? I have tried to be as polite as I could and explain the situation to you as well as I could, as have other posters. Medicare.gov was not working properly earlier, but it is now. You don't need to take anyone's word for it put in your zipcode and look at the results yourself https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...ions/home.aspx There are 22 plans, 4 of them have NO monthly premium

And I'm not sure who comes through every year and tells you about plans but it is not being done by medicare, it's probably some overpriced broker and that's why you are getting ripped off. But hey, go for it.

If I have an attitude (and I do not think I do, but I'm darn sure you do), it would be because all of you are telling me something that doesn't work here.

Are you saying that every single person (thousands) who are doing what I am doing are just plain stupid??

I would use stronger words for you but I don't want to be "punished" for it. It seems you are so beyond smelling your own superiority, it's ridiculous.

Think about what your attitude sounds like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:16 PM

42,823 posts, read 26,562,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
Thats nice. I worked as an RN for decades and I can't afford the Medicare Advantage Plan. The premium and co pays and deductibles of plain old part B and the rising cost of food make the difference whether I get to live on beans and rice or something else. I do not just live on SS either. Inflation and the COL is high. The CPI the government is using is just a shell game and a way to lie to the people..
What is the premium on the advantage plan you looked at, and if you don't mind sharing- what's your zipcode, I'd like to look on medicare.gov and see what is available

Old 08-03-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People are trying to help you here and you are shutting them out.
They are not insulting you but trying to help.

What you've said is that you have medicare + some type of additional insurance and you are still responsible for copays and 20%. So if you are paying the 20% then why have that additional insurance ?
Try to keep up.

I no longer have that insurance.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:18 PM

42,823 posts, read 26,562,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
If I have an attitude (and I do not think I do, but I'm darn sure you do), it would be because all of you are telling me something that doesn't work here.

Are you saying that every single person (thousands) who are doing what I am doing are just plain stupid??

I would use stronger words for you but I don't want to be "punished" for it. It seems you are so beyond smelling your own superiority, it's ridiculous.

Think about what your attitude sounds like.
geez...say what you like, I won't report you. I never said you are stupid. I asked you to check your zipcode on medicare.gov and see what other plans might be available. If that makes you want to call me names, I would hate to see your reaction if someone really did something to upset you.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,748,973 times
Quote:
I am done with this one. I understand people are trying to help but they are blind and deaf to what I am telling them. It is not like I am the only New York state person who is doing what I am doing. Does that make all of us (probably thousands of us) wrong?

The health insurance I have for 2015 does not require co-pays but the monthly premiums are pretty high.

Any idea how frustrated I am that most of you are telling me I'm not doing it right? I'm 73, been on Medicare since 65. Everyone I know who has Medicare are doing the same thing, they all have additional insurance and depending on which insurance they have, they may also be paying co-pays. I am a long way from having enough money. But I pay the premiums because I don't want to get caught owing because I wasn't smart enough to get it.

I argue with you all because you are not hearing me. You all have different opinions and you all think you are correct.

What do you want me to do? I can't tell you a lie. I am telling you what we here in NY are doing. Do you really think nobody is signing up for that additional health insurance? Why do they run these campaigns every Fall?
Just who is running those campaigns every fall ?

Old 08-03-2015, 06:28 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,682,755 times
Quote:
To all the experts: good for you. Congratulations that you know more about my situation than I do.
Medicare coverage is complicated.

To attempt generalities without looking at the nuances of the particular policy will result in inaccurate conclusions.

Did you look at that govt link? There are ten different Medigap supplement plans from which to choose - plus an eleventh - the high-deductible F.

And, then, there is the huge Advantage universe - which can become very problematic - not to mention expensive - for those experiencing chronic, ongoing ailments.

You were paying copays and deductibles because your BCBS Medigap was a COST-SHARING [K,L,M,N] Medigap. You could have bought a more expensive Plan F or G - and not had that experience.

Yes, some of us are more familiar with Medicare coverage options than you and do understand your situation better than you. You do yourself a disservice when you resist the information offered and, instead, choose to persist in a paradigm of comfortable misconceptions which fit your world view.

Quote:
I am done with this one. I understand people are trying to help but they are blind and deaf to what I am telling them. It is not like I am the only New York state person who is doing what I am doing. Does that make all of us (probably thousands of us) wrong?

What is wrong is you and others believing your situation is different than the experiences of people owning identical policies in other states.

Once again - anything that is happening in NY on Medigap cost-sharing is happening in every other state - as well.

Did you read anything I wrote??? Did you look at the govt link?? Clearly, not.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-03-2015 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
geez...say what you like, I won't report you. I never said you are stupid. I asked you to check your zipcode on medicare.gov and see what other plans might be available. If that makes you want to call me names, I would hate to see your reaction if someone really did something to upset you.
Would you have an immediate trust of someone you do not know, have never seen?

I have never heard about what you are talking about, total news to me tonight. I have a long-time trusted friend and decided to ask him about it. It turns out he is using basic Medicare plus a Part D plan. I see you and others were right.

My money situation is difficult, I've had some serious medical issues, and need meds every day. I was afraid of making another big mistake, of which I've made several.

So can you understand my defensiveness? I apologize for my arguing with you. I just did not know.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:21 PM

As I have just written to 2sleepy, I have argued the point because #1... I don't know any of you and didn't trust what you were writing was true; #2... I found some of you to be just a tad arrogant. I have a tendency to turn people off when it sounds like they are talking down to me.

I decided to ask a trusted friend of mine about it. Never thought to talk about it with him before as I have thought everyone was on the same page. He told me he has basic Medicare and a Part D plan. And that is all. And then he explained things to me. Of course, since he is a friend, he did not seem to shove it in my face.

But I thank you for your information. I will have some added money next year that will be an extremely wonderful thing.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just who is running those campaigns every fall ?

The insurance companies.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
What is the premium on the advantage plan you looked at, and if you don't mind sharing- what's your zipcode, I'd like to look on medicare.gov and see what is available

Zip is 13212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement