Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 4 reasons you need to move at retirment
Cannot afford my house and mortgage 5 22.73%
House is paid for but maintenance is too hard 11 50.00%
Need to downsize for health reason 4 18.18%
Travel a lot and don't want to be tied down. 4 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:37 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,710,610 times

Advertisements

Why I'm retiring and moving across the country:
1) I love San Francisco but with the new congestion brought on by the boom it has become an ordeal to get from one place to the next - after 35 years I'll say goodbye and leave it for someone else to enjoy.
2) I want to live near the ocean and that's too expensive to do here in CA
3) I want to be closer to family
4) I want something different for the next 35 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 02:52 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,805,670 times
Yep, make yer money in the big citaaay and then scramola to lower COL!!!!!!!! Best wishes to us all!

Old 08-04-2015, 03:59 PM

37,825 posts, read 41,158,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
So what are the 4 reasons you would move at retirement?
Putting this in the past tense.

Note: I didn't have a house to sell or family living near me in the state I was living in when I retired, I wasn't buying a house in the place I was going and I had moved by myself out of state before (making the idea of moving less daunting), so it was probably easier for me to pick up and go than it would be for other retirees making a decision to move.

1. To be in a place that offered the things I liked to do. It was especially important that new place offered those things to do in the daytime when I would be looking to replace my 40 hr. work week with things to keep me from being bored.

2. To start a brand new life someplace else just for the adventure that a move brought.

3. To be in a suburban area where I could afford to do activities I enjoy.

4. Since commuting ease would no longer be an issue, and since I liked to drive, to be in an area that wasn't touristy and where there would be no traffic or parallel/garage/meter parking. I love sprawl/low population density.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:14 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,533,912 times
Post retirement move to:

Get out of an increasingly dangerous city.
Enjoy four seasons.
Enjoy a vastly changed demographic.
Live among an abundance of natural resources that I enjoy.
Be closer to family.
Lower my cost of living.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,025,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
None of the above (although the first one is close). Mortgage is or will be within a reasonable time frame N/A. So the "cost" in current terms of housing will be nearly N/A. But ... because the real estate is so expensive here, in order to pay this place off, we've ended up with portfolio that is a bit heavy on the house and lighter than we'd like in other areas. In order to fix that, well ... guess what. Got to free up the cash at some point (and I think reverse mortgages are evil in most cases ... the cases where they really make sense are few and far between ... banksters will of course disagree, that's what they do).

Therefore, sell and relo. Done!
I'm always curious to know why Californians, in the land of milk and honey, would want to move out of their state. I know a couple here who are well off and who left the climate of Calif. several years ago to move here, where their daughter went to college. All their family is on the West Coast. They say they love it here. Yes it's lovely in many areas in NE, but to leave those winters for ours?

May I ask which state(s) you're considering?

Old 08-04-2015, 04:45 PM

16,205 posts, read 7,173,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
How about moving to get a bigger bang of your bucks. Like from a higher cost area to a lower one
What would you lose? I may not find the quality of life I have here in lower cost area and I will miss it.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,971,427 times
You left out all of the above as an option. We will be moving but we don't know where. So we're going to buy an RV, travel around the country and try some places out, besides seeing the USA.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:14 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,109,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What would you lose? I may not find the quality of life I have here in lower cost area and I will miss it.
Moving to an area where my quality of life should remain the same. Right now I'm in a very popular touristy spot which is in high demand, so high prices for everything, the area I would be moving to would be in same state but not as popular or expensive.

But you are correct there is always a gamble when you move. I plan to rent on and off in the area before I retire and make the move

Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,858,661 times
None of the above. I already moved once in retirement. Once, after my parents died to go to the opposite end of the state to be able to say goodbye to sad memories. It was also to live on a beach. It's been over five years and although I've loved it, we are not getting any younger so the next move will be:

to be near family and to get away from ice, snow, and pitch black like midnight at 4pm. But I wish I had another lifetime to live because leaving New England is heartbreaking. I saw the rest of the country in my younger days and that cured my longing to live anywhere else. It's a matter of where you fit in and feel at home.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:31 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,256,471 times
None of the above. I will move for a better climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement