Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 04:35 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've learned that you can acclimate to a certain degree, but it only goes so far. After almost 20 years in Texas, I can tolerate hot weather better than I used to but not by much. I went for a walk in the Mall today, and was sweating. So I came home to cool off. We now have it locked on 76-77. I'm Ok with that, but anything over 80, this late in the summer, and its already too hot. I went out today and worked in the yard after lunch for 15 minutes and got physically ill(ache in arms and back), had to come inside to hydrate and cool off. We're definitely moving north after I retire.
wow - I can do a couple of hours out there easily. I don't know how old you are - I'm 55.

Don't push if you don't have to - well even then only if it is a matter of life or death.

We walk for an hour in the evening about three times a week, twice a week we go to a one hour exercise class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 04:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,159,733 times
I don't have any plans to 'acclimate' to the humid, hot south Florida weather for 6-7 months each year. As I've gotten older, I am less heat tolerant. I go to a one hour exercise class three mornings a week and three other mornings during the week, I walk at my local, air conditioned, huge Walmart. All inside and cool. Sunday is my day of rest.

It's not just the heat & humidity..... it is mosquitos and those darn, bothersome gnats! They drive me crazy! Usually during the summer, we have very little wind or breeze. The moment I step outside, the humidity just slaps me. No evaporation of sweat either. 100% cotton is the way to go as far as cool clothing. Polyester, ICK!!!!!

Still trying to figure out where I want to live during this next chapter of my life.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,344,455 times
Back in my twenties I got sick and ended up having surgery. Thanks to that I can't compensate for fluid loss well, and if its too hot, I run the risk of getting really sick if I stay out too long. I also keep potato chips around and much them for the salt. So there is no aclimating to heat for me. Gateraide and chips only go so far to help. Once the fluid balance goes off the charts, it can take several days of cool inside to get it to balance again.

Now, I grew up in socal, with the hundred degreee summers, and after the surgery moved inland again, since the coast was just too damp. What I've gotten to doing is staying inside when its hot, drinking enough fluids and start on prevention if I feel anythign amiss. But I never really dealt with cold before moving here seven years ago next month.

What is surprising is I do a lot better with cold than I do with heat. I'm always wearing three layers, go to bed with them too, and its easier to warm up the house over cooling it. It surprised me, but I also enjoy it too, since its a guarenteed not busy time too. You plan trips to the store between storms and get good at online ordering. I can bundle up and go outside, too, without being devowered by mini vampires. Snow is still new to me, and while its looking kinda neat hasn't worn off, its nice not having any chance of needing to mow the lawn.

The other really good thing about where I live is there is NO SMOG. Last place the air was grey and you could smell it most of spring and all the way into fall. The only time you saw the mountains was winter. Hot air which isn't grey and thickened is a whole lot more desirable than the great grey haze.

I think heat or cold sensitivity is not just that but air quality and how many skeeters there are and humidity as well. You have to deal with the whole package.

And coming from a place without four seasons, I do actually love the variety.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I don't have any plans to 'acclimate' to the humid, hot south Florida weather for 6-7 months each year. As I've gotten older, I am less heat tolerant. I go to a one hour exercise class three mornings a week and three other mornings during the week, I walk at my local, air conditioned, huge Walmart. All inside and cool. Sunday is my day of rest.

It's not just the heat & humidity..... it is mosquitos and those darn, bothersome gnats! They drive me crazy! Usually during the summer, we have very little wind or breeze. The moment I step outside, the humidity just slaps me. No evaporation of sweat either. 100% cotton is the way to go as far as cool clothing. Polyester, ICK!!!!!

Still trying to figure out where I want to live during this next chapter of my life.
I spray myself with Off or Cutter before I step outside each morning. We have flies here and the spray does the trick.

As for polyester, I used to think the same thing. But technology has advanced even when it comes to fabric. My favorite top is a moisture wicking tee from Eddie Bauer. So comfortable and cool. Just found them on sale for 6.99 - down from 35 dollars!!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 AM

23,180 posts, read 26,326,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I spray myself with Off or Cutter before I step outside each morning.!
I consider that my summer perfume .

Old 08-16-2015, 07:42 AM

Do you know that Cutters and Off can melt plastic? It also kills grass if falls on it....other plants can get affected by it as well. I use it when necessary (hiking in the Everglades, etc.) but I usually wear long pants, long sleeves and I spray the Cutters on my clothing. Sometimes I wear leather gloves to protect my hands from mosquitos....when I hike in ENP. In my job, we had to constantly remind volunteers to spray outside the office (not near plants) as the spray was damaging the floor!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Do you know that Cutters and Off can melt plastic? It also kills grass if falls on it....other plants can get affected by it as well. I use it when necessary (hiking in the Everglades, etc.) but I usually wear long pants, long sleeves and I spray the Cutters on my clothing. Sometimes I wear leather gloves to protect my hands from mosquitos....when I hike in ENP. In my job, we had to constantly remind volunteers to spray outside the office (not near plants) as the spray was damaging the floor!
I've been using it for over 30 years - no plastic melting or grass dying off here. If I spray it on the laundry room floor, it does get sticky, but I just mop it. It isn't melting it.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:

If the mosquitos and gnats bother you in Florida - don't move up north. The darn whatever they were in North Dakota and Alaska were vicious.

Give me the good old gentle flies and mosquitos of south Texas any day!

Oh, and I was in Florida for a few months too - not too bad except for the smell of the paper mill close to the air force base. Can't remember the name now - Eglin?? It was in the panhandle.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:53 AM

I feel that it is toxic. Sometimes I really need it, but I try my best not to expose myself to the spray.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:58 AM

Fortunately, in south Florida (south of Miami) the air is usually quite clean. No bad odors or pollution. I've lived down here for 42 years. I know all about mosquitos.....and am quite tolerant of them. The only time I might spray (my clothing) is when I go hiking in Everglades National Park - in the summer. During the winter (our dry season) the mosquitos are far less bothersome. The gnats are around occasionally - not all the time. I am tough and would rather get a few bug bites than expose myself to the spray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement