Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 PM

915 posts, read 1,633,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Hey mzfroggez, welcome back, I've missed you! See you still have your sense of humor, too, lol.

Are you in FL?
TOO FUNNY! This is very cosmic twilight zone. I "knew" that RiverBird was you. I mean, just "knew" without knowing.

I have been somewhat not on City-Data/not much at least. An occasional jump on , scan a post or two so I have lost track of most people /all people likely.

No no - not in Florida/I am in South Carolina which only goes to show that a plan is always better on paper. LOL...............humor is my only solace......that and the drugs............

So good to hear from you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 01:08 PM

447 posts, read 498,378 times
May I ask why. I was living through brutal winter of 2014, but since I didn't commute, I just stayed put in house to wait to see snow melted for three weeks. Hot and humid weather is much hard to fight, for instance all insects among others. So I do think if I have to choose, I take cold over hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Be forewarned, as you age, you will be become much more sensitive to cold weather. ..

`

Old 08-21-2015, 01:10 PM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
I honestly don't get it. If you're cold, put more clothes on! Unless you're dead, you can thusly generate and trap your own body heat.

"There is no bad weather; only inappropriate clothing."

Old 08-21-2015, 01:17 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I honestly don't get it. If you're cold, put more clothes on! Unless you're dead, you can thusly generate and trap your own body heat.

"There is no bad weather; only inappropriate clothing."
My mother is 91 and is always cold. Just something that happens to some as they age.

I remember seeing the older ladies in Sicily - walking around the plaza all wrapped up in black clothing in the middle of the summer!!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My mother is 91 and is always cold. Just something that happens to some as they age.

I remember seeing the older ladies in Sicily - walking around the plaza all wrapped up in black clothing in the middle of the summer!!
They were probably in mourning... And, again, I'm not talking about 91-year-olds... I'm talking about healthy people in their 20s running around in shirt sleeves when it's snowing outside and complaining that they're cold. Drives me crazy!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:43 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They were probably in mourning... And, again, I'm not talking about 91-year-olds... I'm talking about healthy people in their 20s running around in shirt sleeves when it's snowing outside and complaining that they're cold. Drives me crazy!
Well this is a retirement page, so I figure we all should be at least 40

But I know what you mean. They had a story about people having problems paying their heating bills up in Maine. They showed this one older guy in a tee shirt! It would have helped if he put on more clothes.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,377,349 times
One of my neighbors was like that. Wore a tee in the house but dressed appropriately outside. Complained about the heat bill. I wore sweatshirts & fleece lined leggings inside, put jeans over leggings when going outside. My heat was set @ 65 when I was home, 58 while at work. My heat bill was $50 per month.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,344,455 times
When its really cold I live in these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

I keep at least a couple of pairs, and have a jacket I made from the tops and plan on making another one. Go up a size if you like them looser. But they will keep your lower half warm even if the floor is cold.

I also buy the fleece lined boots like these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00

Add socks if its really cold and your toes and legs stay warm. I find if the legs and feet stay warm the rest of you handles it better.

When the boots stretch out I use them with extra socks and as yard boots. Here with the bugs in the grass I generally don't do barefoot.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:01 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,815,648 times
But I don't enjoy sitting out in the cold like I do in warm weather. Yes I could bundle up enough so that only my face hurt or even wear a mask for that. But I would not enjoy it st all. This thread is not just about survival.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
But I don't enjoy sitting out in the cold like I do in warm weather. Yes I could bundle up enough so that only my face hurt or even wear a mask for that. But I would not enjoy it st all. This thread is not just about survival.
How about moving instead? Nothing more refreshing than a nice walk -- or even hike -- in the cold air!

Healthier than "sitting," too!

As for indoors... Let us take a lesson from Jimmy Carter, who didn't just TALK about conserving energy, like some presidents who are always flying all over creation in an airplane for dumb reasons like taking perpetual vacations, but who set an example: PUT ON A SWEATER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement