Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 04:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,955,069 times

Advertisements

My home state is Wisconsin and I grew up with plenty of toleration for cold weather. It wasn't unusual at all to hit -20 several times during the winter. In 1982, just after my first son was born, and living in ILL. we hit the road in Jan. to visit family and introduce them to the newest member of the family. Everyone was saying stay home, since it was -27F and the wind chill was -70F, but we hit the road anyhow. Wasn't much traffic either and had no problems. Outside in below zero weather was no problem for me, and cold weather still isn't that bad for me. Put on a warm coat, hat and gloves and I can still go for a 30 minute walk in single digit weather. So I guess I have genes for cold weather.

But toleration for heat is non existent. And that is just the way some people are. You can't condemn people for being different. That would be like me making fun or short people.

We'd go back to Wisc. since all our family is there or close by but my wife has allergies, and the dry air in WY would probably work out better for her. Wisc. also isn't exactly a cheap state to live in Tax wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 05:55 PM

550 posts, read 639,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My husband and I are feeling the same way and rethinking where we will camp in the future. We love AZ and really love our house, but the heat this year has been taxing. Depression sets in, I feel housebound most of the time now. Can't wait until Oct...I love Oct here.
So I just stumbled on this post, from the Las Vegas forum. I was complaining, in that forum, that the constant heat and sun shining, were kind of a bummer, to me. I told my husband this morning, that I was feeling depressed and the constant state of sweatiness was driving me bonkers. A/C sure, but just the walk to the mailbox and back, getting from car to store and back, filling up the gas, getting my kids to piano and other social events....All those normal reasons you are away from A/C. Most folks don't relate to it, because being down or bummed, is usually associated with a climate that is rainy and cloudy. I feel so much better in a temperate climate. I thought I was the lone wolf out here, that felt closed in, during overly hot weather! And I'm only 45.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,331,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
So I just stumbled on this post, from the Las Vegas forum. .......All those normal reasons you are away from A/C. Most folks don't relate to it, because being down or bummed, is usually associated with a climate that is rainy and cloudy. I feel so much better in a temperate climate. I thought I was the lone wolf out here, that felt closed in, during overly hot weather! And I'm only 45.
I can't survive being under AC for extended periods, I get congested / breathing issues. (I have used it 2x in 32 yrs in PNW) My cars do not have AC.

Last yr I spent 8 months in Thailand and the workweek was a killer (factory / transport / and hotel AC). Weekends I escaped to a rural seaside village (sea breeze).

I would not want to live full-time in an area with AC need. I have a TX home, but only plan to be there in winter (Oct - April).

I use alternative cooling to AC (Cool tubes were real popular with solar homes in the 70's, they work well, as do basements and whole house fans (in climates with cool evenings). it is usually down in the 50's during our HOT summers in WA (46F last night). I cool the house down to 60F at night and it can get me through a 95f day.

my average utility bill for 5,000 SF house is $73 / month (winter and summer). That is not too shabby.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:16 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,252,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I spent 3 tours of duty in Iraq... I grew up in South Florida - I didn't know heat, until I got off the C-130 in Bagdad...

We'd have bets as to what time the temp would drop below 100 degrees. (F)... that was around 0430...
We'd have bets as to what time the temp would go above 100 degrees (F)... that was around 0545...

I swore - and have lived up to it since my stateside return in '10 - to never EVER complain of the heat again.

I had a pair of good tennis shoes that melted to the tarmac...

I will never - ever - complain of heat again... unless I'm back over there...
That's why I stopped complaining (too loudly) about the humidity here, after I escaped the brutal (to me) heat and humidity of East Texas. I have never been so miserable in my life when I needed to be down there in June, July and August. Never again.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:11 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,974,287 times
Born and raised near Chicago. So I was pretty acclimated to humid summers and brutal winters. It was the winters in the end that made me look for a better place.

Moved to the foothills near Lake Tahoe in my 20s. NV had no state income tax bu the schools are horrid (we ended up homeschooling our daughter) and jobs are not great if you are a career climber. You are not going to get rich here. But we love that there are four seasons, just more moderate. We get triple digits in the summer but humidity around 8%. So although it's hot in the sun during the day (we keep heavy window coverings closed) we sleep in flannel jammies at night as it is usually in the 40s or 50s. We open the windows and put a box fan in the hallway at night and close up during the day. Our AC is set at 77 and comes on only after about 3 days in a row above 100, for a few hours in the evening. This year has been pretty moderate and our AC has only been on about 4 days. The winters are milder because it is so sunny here. Snow rarely lasts past noon. We have a snow shovel and snow blower but can't remember the last time we used the snow blower, several years ago. We only shovel the front walk because it faces north and doesn't get sun in the winter.

Went to visit daughter on Gulf Coast of TX where she is going to school and I don't know how people live there! The humidity and bugs were enough to drive me crazy. And then they have rain in the Fall and Spring. Only about 2-3 months in the Winter that are really comfortable. Now she is going to FL and we will visit her whis winter, thank you very much! A few years ago we went to visit friends in Orlando in June...thought I was going to melt.

I like my temperate climate. Might not be San Diego but the prices aren't that high either. And we have the beaches at Tahoe in the summer. Winter sports like skiing are nearby but we don't have to live in it 24/7.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:51 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,506,217 times
I grew up in Houston. I moved away several times but have been back here since 1980. I can affirm that it's getting hotter. I cant remember the last time Houston has had triple-digit temps for 2 consecutive weeks. I thought I'd get more acclimated to the heat over the years but how can that happen when it's just getting hotter as I age?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,312,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
The entire southwest, from California through Texas, has been more humid than normal so far this year. We so-cal weather wimps are Melting - Simply Melting!!!!!

Thing is, with climate changes this might be the new normal.

It's coming up from Mexico. Imagine how much worse the heat and humidity is down there.
I've been sleeping during the day and staying up at night and camping out by the window ac. I can imagine how bad it is in socal with the actual heat so much higher and the humidity. When I lived there the problem was more heat and smog over heat and dampness.

I've had heat problems since my twenties since due to surgery I dry out really easy. Gatoraide is always at hand when its hot. But I'd never encountered quite as cold and except for the week right after I moved here it was five degrees at night, with snow for a week, I've found its easier to load up layers than run out of them to take off.

And the AC runs 24/7 at a reasonably comfortable temp. Window units with the computer in front of one.

It still seems wierd to have rain in the summer.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 PM

7,048 posts, read 4,938,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
But, don't worry in a few years when you are older, you will be bundling up! That is one thing I look forward to in old age.....lol
And when exactly does this happen? Because for the last ten years I've been saying I can't wait to be a little old lady who as to wear a sweater in 90 degree heat and I'm pushing 60.

I had heat exhaustion about 20 years ago and now I can't stand it when the temp is over 70, not that I could stand it a whole lot more before that. You'll see me outside when it's 40° with a breeze blowing, wearing short sleeves and loving it. I go into air conditioned stores and start sweating because it's too hot. So now I'm old and I'm still too hot. I went to the doctor because I thought there was something with me. I should have known better. Any time a woman goes into the doctor complaining she's too hot, if she's between the age of 12 and 90, the answer is always the same: hot flashes. Well, then, this particular hot flash has now lasted approximately 20 years. Think I'll get into the book of world records?

Old 08-07-2015, 01:00 AM

327 posts, read 399,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We've live in Texas now since 97, and in the south since 93. So thought I had adapted OK to the heat. But last week I got hit with a bought of heat stress. Now, my heat tolerance is completely gone. I'm sure it has to do with my age. As we get older, our ability to handle excessive heat or cold is diminished. Now I'm getting overheated after just taking a shower. I've just accepted that I can't take the heat anymore and we're looking north for retirement. Anyone else had this problem? Is it as bad with cold weather, where you just can't take it anymore physically.
Sorry to hear about that. Be sure to see a doctor asap. Yes, I have had that issue as well, with the heat and chest pains because of the stress. I take some respiratory products to help me.

Anyway…I would consider a….

Move to LA/Orange County. Problem solved. And it is expensive if you buy, but if you rent, you will be fine.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:34 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,623,109 times
I lived in Redding CA for a year last year, and couldn't take it. There isn't much humidity, but 100 - 117 degree highs will never feel like 70.

Picture that weather forecast..."High of 117 Tuesday, but will feel like 70 because of the low humidity!"

Not.

In Redding, it's 100+ degrees from mid-May to mid-October, and it doesn't cool off until about 3am, and then by 10am you're dying again. So, I lived inside. I couldn't take my dog with me when I had to run around town. If I missed that early morning window to take my dog out to actually exercise her, forget it! Then, taking her out again in the afternoon or evening, her poor paws would burn on the pavement, and my nostrils would be burning.

I couldn't wait to move. Finally did some more research, and there are actually affordable small towns on the far north coast of CA and southern OR, where it never snows and it never gets too hot.

I actually started a thread about how I was sick of sunshine in Redding. So, I get where the poster is coming from regarding Las Vegas and actually feeling depressed when you get up and the sun is beating on you again.

I think I needed to experience that, though, so the fog here doesn't bother me. I get up and look out on overcast or foggy days quite often, and I bless them! Our high so far this summer was maybe 76 degrees. Normal temps are low 60's. We had a couple "frost advisories" last winter. We had some intense wind and rain storms, but no snow to shovel, or ice to slip on (which I'm WAY over, too, after living in WA for many years).

OP, think twice about moving to WY and dealing with all of that snow. Not only does that mean you're stuck inside, but it's strenuous to clear pathways, and it's dangerous as far as falling (and we don't bounce anymore), and for driving.

When I moved back to CA from WA my motto was that I intended to never have to scrape another windshield again in my life. I also never want to sweat in 100+ degrees again, if I can avoid it.

Here, even though it can be overcast and foggy, and even rainy, the temps are mild enough that I can still get out whenever I want to. No more running out at the crack of dawn while it's "only" 80 degrees out. Or being stuck inside because it's freezing out. I can't stand being housebound due to weather. I don't mind bundling up a little. Basically, I live in fall-type temps now year-round. For me, it's perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement