Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,890,310 times

Advertisements

I loved Thanksgiving and Christmas growing up. Still do, but things have gotten melancholy since I lost my Mom, then my husband and Dad suddenly one Christmas morning. My sisters don't celebrate anymore. Me, I do still roast a small turkey, make Dads stuffing with apples and sausage. On thanksgiving night, we put the tree up. Christmas Eve is finger foods. Christmas Day depends but usually some Italian dish and Christmas cookies. My kids are grown, but none married, so they spend it with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 11:26 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,583,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
Christmas Eve is finger foods.
Yum yum. No matter how we spend the 25th - whether with family in a traditional blowout or at 1st class restaurant, nothing can compare with the finger foods we put out on the 24th.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:43 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,507,103 times
We love to cook and eat well for both holidays, but I really am not much into the decorating the house anymore the past few years...

Maybe this year since I am retired now and we have several grandkids living back in the city, I will be more "in the mood" to put up the large tree and pull out the decorations.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:34 AM

7,079 posts, read 6,377,349 times
I usually go to my sister's as she really gets into it. But since mom died, the spirit just isn't there. Don't know when she'll finally quit, but I do understand her need to do this. When mom was alive the house was filled with many of the kids & their spouses & kids. It's hard for her to adjust to no one visiting.

When I lived in the city I usually just cooked a small turkey, most of which went into the freezer & came in handy for many different recipes.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:52 AM

1,611 posts, read 1,958,060 times
For reasons I won't get into, my family never celebrated the holidays.

With no family to speak of, I spent 40 years in a patrol car and worked every holiday - not because I had to, but to allow an officer with a family to spend the holidays at home.

Since I retired early last year, I spent Thanksgiving and Christmas by going to Mass and then helping the less fortunate. I figure on making it my new holiday tradition.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:25 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,300,706 times
I'm not retired yet, but I moved here to finish out my career and retire in this home. We have no family here and few friends (so far).

Thanksgiving is not a big deal to me, though I like the meal. I just make stuffing, cranberry sauce, veg and pie.

I am used to the whole Feast of 7 Fishes big deal on Xmas Eve. We have been going to Italian restaurants instead, which is fun but a little lonely.

Then on Xmas I make something simple. Lasagna and pastries from the Italian bakery. Again, a bit lonely. This year I am probably going to hike and picnic with a Meetup group instead.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:45 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,902,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
but I really am not much into the decorating the house anymore the past few years...
I put up the lights, particularly the outside lights, because winter here can be dark, and I bought a little spiral metal "tree" (about 3' tall) that has ornament hooks on it. I went through my mother's collection of ornaments and picked out about 15-20 that either had some meaning or that I really liked and got rid of the rest. Scaling it all back made it much more doable.

Of course, I don't tend to take the lights down until about March.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 AM

11,183 posts, read 16,100,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
In Las Vegas, the only time locals hate to go out to eat is on holidays. The lines are just too long!
Yes, but that's only for the buffets. If you make a reservation for a regular sit-down restaurant, there's no issue at all with dining out on Christmas in LV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
One Christmas Day, I went to a movie with a Jewish friend. The first show was sold out and we had to come back for the second.
Did you also go out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant? After all, that is the typical traditional Jewish Christmas celebration: Chinese food and a movie.

And if you're single, attending a Matzo Ball on Christmas Eve.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:05 AM

3,581 posts, read 4,532,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
To lovemyhoss - glad I had nothing I was eating or drinking in my mouth when I read your They're Coming To Take Me Away allusion, or it all would have been sprayed over the four corners of the room. Still chuckling.
I was hoping someone would 'get' it.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:15 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,114,646 times
I do absolutely nothing different from any other day of the year and lie and evade to avoid any invitations to join anyone else. As a non-believer, pretending to observe makes me very uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement