Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:34 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die." (John 11:25-26)

But, just in case you were thinking about disposal of the body, one should leave instructions (ie; cremation, etc). Otherwise, remaining family members can wind-up with exorbitant and unnecessary funeral expenses... shipping bodies 'to and fro' around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 02:40 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Lots of heartfelt sentiments expressed here. Looks like a lot of us would like to be at rest with our pets rather than with many of the people we knew during our lifetimes.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
But, just in case you were thinking about disposal of the body, one should leave instructions (ie; cremation, etc). Otherwise, remaining family members can wind-up with exorbitant and unnecessary funeral expenses... shipping bodies 'to and fro' around the country.
Actually is is quite inexpensive to ship bodies (freight).

I did a 2500mi 'road trip' with my deceased father, cuz he wouldn't allow cremation. Renting the backhoe was pretty cheap too.

He was pretty 'quiet' about the whole thing, even tho we went to many of his favorite spots.!

Join Funerals.coop if you want an inexpensive solution.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:19 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Actually is is quite inexpensive to ship bodies (freight).

I did a 2500mi 'road trip' with my deceased father, cuz he wouldn't allow cremation. Renting the backhoe was pretty cheap too.

He was pretty 'quiet' about the whole thing, even tho we went to many of his favorite spots.!

Join Funerals.coop if you want an inexpensive solution.

As usual, excellent point!

I was thinking more about families who get 'guilt-tripped' into exorbitant, 'spare no expense' arrangements, at a very vulnerable time in their lives, by unscrupulous folks in the funeral industry.

There are other options, if one will make plans ahead of time! --- In one case, after conducting a graveside service, I remained after the family had left and watched the cemetery folks reload the casket (and deceased) back into the hearse. I asked what was going-on and was told that the deceased had made prior arrangements to 'rent' a high-end 'ceremonial casket,' but, would actually be buried in a very low-end/low cost casket (over $10K difference).

Old 08-10-2015, 06:03 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Fall off my Harley at age 101

Old 08-10-2015, 11:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Careful.. That can be arranged! (It is Sturgis week you know...).

I raced at Sturgis many yrs, but only THIS yr broke my leg on a silly extravaganza. (2 weeks ago NOT at Sturgis...) A first for me (Broken bone). At least the first time I have taken the time to be 'cast'. Getting old and brittle.

101 might be quite brittle. Make it FAST!

I had my 'Crash' less than 12 hours after my Life Insurance expired... Reminds me of the GREAT planning of my uncle... He was to buy LTC the day before he turned age 60. BUT... a month before his birthday he went in for simple 'elective' surgery... got Oxygen deprived and was made a vegetable for the next 10 yrs. (A very ANGRY vegetable). From Mr/ nice guy (mellow) to a screaming tyrant. That was not fun for him or us / caregivers.

Be careful what you wish for / plan for.

Life is Fragile / Handle with Care (A sticker I sported while a professional racer)

PAY-back time

Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Or die even older, shot by a jealous husband.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:28 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You could live anywhere and pop off suddenly while visiting or on vacation. Why worry now?

If you mean where do you want to live out the final years of your life, go where you'd feel fine dying b/c we're not promised tomorrow.

I'll die a newenglandgirl. Unless the One has other plans.
Anyone at any age can pop off suddenly. And nobody is promised the next ten minutes, much less the next day! LOL

So everyone get busy making those plans, planning those vacations, and looking towards the future.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Anyone at any age can pop off suddenly. And nobody is promised the next ten minutes, much less the next day! LOL

So everyone get busy making those plans, planning those vacations, and looking towards the future.
Wow...this is so true. Our best friend died in 1989 of a cerebral hemmorage at age 46. We still miss him terribly. Not everyone gets the chance to plan where they want live when they are old.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:44 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Wow...this is so true. Our best friend died in 1989 of a cerebral hemmorage at age 46. We still miss him terribly. Not everyone gets the chance to plan where they want live when they are old.
Sorry to hear that. I, too, have known people who have died young and unexpectedly. Although death is natural and simply a part of life, it's so wrong for a young person to simply drop dead. When that happens, it's as if the universe has been upended; the natural order of things has been disrupted and perversed. An older person who dies is easier to accept. But the truth is, infants die, babies die, young adults die, and of course, older people die.

Last edited by AnthonyJ34; 08-12-2015 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement