Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 08:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,927 times

Advertisements

I'm too old (74) to get my teeth capped so when I smile it looks like a mouth full of chicklets.....My teeth are a lite tan or cream color...they work.....they don't hurt.....they do the job....however , everybody I see nowadays..(even most old folks) spend a fortune on having their teeth crowned or capped so they can look like a TV game show host....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:40 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I'm too old to be doing what I'm involved in right now...clearing vegetation from an approximately 70 foot in circumference patch of ground, removing all the dirt (dirt is heavy!), leveling the ground, and moving my paver patio from its present location to the new location, where I have planted some fruit-bearing pear trees.

I'm doing it anyway, keeping the advice of one of Stephen King's characters (forget which book) in my head:

"Just take things little by slow...".
Ha ha! You sound like me. I've been pulling weeds, raking pine needles, clearing brush and then hauling it all to my burn pile. Also digging and wheel barrowing dirt. I need to get my hands on some stabilized adobe block to repair my chicken coops, etc. I'm 64 years old now and instead of doing 10 hours a day in the yard in New Mexico heat, I am down to about 6 hours a day now in my old age. Am I too old for this - hmmmm . . . . . . But if we didn't do this sort of stuff, what else would we do? Truthfully, I actually LIKE it.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Ha ha! You sound like me. I've been pulling weeds, raking pine needles, clearing brush and then hauling it all to my burn pile. Also digging and wheel barrowing dirt. I need to get my hands on some stabilized adobe block to repair my chicken coops, etc. I'm 64 years old now and instead of doing 10 hours a day in the yard in New Mexico heat, I am down to about 6 hours a day now in my old age. Am I too old for this - hmmmm . . . . . . But if we didn't do this sort of stuff, what else would we do? Truthfully, I actually LIKE it.
I spent the last three days pulling weeds, pruning bushes, cutting grass. I'm almost 80 and have cut down to no more than 2 hours a day in the hot Sun. Sweat in my eyes and pain in my back tell me when it's time to go get a drink and take a shower.

But if we didn't do this sort of stuff, who else would do it?!?

Old 08-10-2015, 11:19 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
.................What are YOU too old for?
I'm 70. I ain't "too old" for anything. There are a bunch of things I am not old enough for, though.

I am not old enough to be called Pa-Paw. My Grandson calls me by my fist name; just like everyone else.
I am not old enough to hire someone to cut the grass.
I am not old enough for handicap parking.
Last month I was not old enough to get out of jury duty. The law provides for it, but I served anyway. (Found him guilty, too)
I am not old enough to find some kind of entertainment value in visits to the doctor.
I am not old enough to be afraid to travel alone. My next big trip alone is to Mongolia.

So, what is everyone else Not Old Enough for...........

Old 08-10-2015, 11:45 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
I'm too old to:

fight in the UFC
take up skateboarding, snowboarding, or motorcycle racing
get my navel (or other body part) pierced, or my face tatooed
juggle multiple sex partners
shoot beers and party all night

None of which bothers me in the least. Peace, quiet, and civility. Finally.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I go to the gym to stay strong and, to some extent, agile or flexible. I'll never be thin.

You might want to do something similar.
Or, as a friend (also elderly) commented to me some time ago in reference to going to the gym. She said, "we do this for our health, not our looks." It's a good thing, too, otherwise I'd be very disappointed, because those six-pack abs and bunsof steel sure are eluding me!

Old 08-10-2015, 12:09 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
I refuse to be TOO old for anything.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I spent the last three days pulling weeds, pruning bushes, cutting grass. I'm almost 80 and have cut down to no more than 2 hours a day in the hot Sun. Sweat in my eyes and pain in my back tell me when it's time to go get a drink and take a shower.

But if we didn't do this sort of stuff, who else would do it?!?
Well, I ask, why do it? Why live on a property that requires so much work? How many hours a day do you do something on your property that's just plain leisure, vs. how many hours to take care of it all. How much is the property used for something actually useful, like garden crops? I guess my point is, what's the point. Unless you love doing it, which I don't. I'd rather be taking a class or be in a group of people with a similar interest, or on a trip. I've had my "close relationship" with the earth and I am done. Almost.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,699 times
I'm too old for this much fun!!

Up at 0300
Holding down the fort whilst hubby works his fulltime job 45 miles away
Learning about and raising a flock of chickens
Learning how to use the lawn tractor (In my neck of the woods, it was called a riding lawn mower )
Dealing with short term memory loss....half the time I can't remember what it's called
Driving the 24 hour drive to see the family out west...

some other things too..that I can't remember

Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
I'm too old to spike my hair. I actually would love to do it, but alas, it is now physically impossible (well I guess I could spike the sides and back, but then I'd look like Bozo the Clown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement