Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:16 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times

Advertisements

I'm living on less than that and very happy. I do have a SO thankfully that is very helpful. I have no car payment and no TV. I get internet for free from my neighbor, but, I do have a cool smart phone. I go to the movies a lot and buy fun clothes at TJ maxx or consignment shops. I walk my dogs a lot and go to afternoon theatres every other month. I do earn a bit of extra money pet sitting and if I really needed to I could get a part time job since I'm well under regular retirement age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
My mom is 75 and lives on take-home of about $28K per year. This is comprised of about $700 in SS, about $1,200 in a survivor's pension (God bless my late stepdad) and about $500 in annuities. About half of the annuity will run out when she's 80. She also has $200-225K in the bank from the sale of her home a few years back. She pays $1,050 in rent and probably $350 in monthly bills (utilities, cell phone, newspaper). She carries zero debt and has always been that way (except for when she had a mortgage). She has a newer car that she paid cash for, and may never need another car. She doesn't really travel or have any expensive hobbies. Every month she's able to put money in savings. If she only had $2,000 per month she would still be OK, although rents are high in our area.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:36 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
That is so good. She is lucky to have you for a son.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 PM

498 posts, read 571,763 times
My sister lives on $24,000 per year in low cost Alabama. She pays rent, never travels, and seems quite happy. She LOVES being retired. She worked until she was 70....found it very hard to keep learning new computer programs and new financial terms at that age. She started working at age 16 in an office and worked her entire life, raising three children. She was not able to save very much because she never made much. But she is happy now on $24,000.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:50 PM

9 posts, read 8,085 times
These are all very inspiring stories to read, thank you all for taking the time to post these!

Old 08-13-2015, 04:46 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
My brother retired from a government job in his late forties due to medical problems. He had no savings to speak of. When he passed away at age 72, his net income was less than $2,000 per month. He was single and lived in a city in Texas with a fairly low cost of living. He didn't drive so there was no car expense. He was always able to afford modest but decent apartments, cable TV, and the occasional pizza or restaurant meal. If he had lived in L.A. or New York City, he would have definitely struggled, but he did OK where he was.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:52 AM

761 posts, read 832,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Never shame because there would you go but for the grace of God.

Sometimes horrible things happen to good people that did everything right and it is heart breaking.

I am fortunate that I am 67 and have every expectation of being able to work full time until I am 70 which nearly doubles my social security benefit from what if I was forced to retire and draw at 62. I will do well in retirement but I fully recognize that 75% of my fortune is due to pure luck.

Debilitating heart attack at 60 would have destroyed me and it does happen even to good people who exercised, ate right, didn't smoke and didn't drink.

Automobile accident, fell asleep at the wheel and ran off the road, leaving me wheel chair ridden with SSI or or age 62 social security. Throat cancer at 57, sometimes it happens to non-smokers, and never being able to speak again would have done me in.

Work your entire life at a single company being very successful until the company is purchased and you find yourself out of a job at 55. Happens.

But to the original question is it possible to live on $2,000/month?

I think so but a lot of it has to do with where you live. In New York or San Francisco you wouldn't do well but in some areas, Knoxville TN for example, you can live pretty well as long as you own your house or condo. No big trips or cruises but oh well.
Wow, that's quite a lot to have handled.
Hope things have improved for you.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:15 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I assume we are talking about a net of $25,000/year right? Is that really so little? I clear about half of my gross pay once taxes, health insurance, and yes 401(K) is deducted. So a $50,000 salary, which nobody considers poverty unless you are in NYC or San Diego, is really like the $25,000 you guys are discussing. Am I missing something here?

Old 08-13-2015, 05:17 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
One thing I have noticed on this board is the vast majority of posters are either one extreme or the other. "My first million" is a phrase you don't read often but you see it here. Then there are the poverty stories. I guess it stands to reason, the folks in the middle don't have a story to tell. But they represent the majority of retirees and that's where I expect to find myself.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:26 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I recently read that the majority of poverty level people are women over 65. I guess this stands to reason as many depended on their husbands retirement and SS. My wife and I have the opposite. Her retirement and SS is much larger then mine. We presently live very comfortably on our income. We even go positive every month. We have not touched any of our retirement accounts other than required RMD 's and those we reinvest. All our retirement account and stock dividends get reinvested.

As I am the main spender, my wife would be financially secure without me. On the other hand, without her I will have to start using RMD's, dividends, and some withdrawal of retirement fund to maintain my present life style. This has been planned on since day one of retirement so I am not crying poor mouth. The older we get (73/75), the more sure we are that what we have will last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement