Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

If he loses male hormones his body will change. But traits not so much as one ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 03:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
The older we get the truer to ourselves we become. Sensitive people become more sensitive, grouches get grouchier and on and on and on. If you're a hard a$$ in youth then you're still insensitive. I do think time and experiences dull our edges in our later years somewhat but I don't see any 'feminine traits' in my 68 yo husband or my brothers.
Disagree... I was a lot truer to myself in my teens and 20s. I was also super sensitive back then and less so now. I was grouchier when working than I am now.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:17 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
I wonder what they call older age for these changes to be made. I wonder when I need to start worrying about future changes in my wife of 62 years and myself.

I am only 84 and she is only 86. We are not physically able to do some of the things we once did, but otherwise no real changes. Both still have sharp minds. Both able to understand what goes on around us and express ourselves.

My family averages about 98 or 99 for natural death, and I wonder when I am supposed to see these changes as I only have another 15 years or so to go.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:26 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Well, I know as I've gotten older I spend a lot more time in the bathroom. Maybe the study is onto something!

Old 08-12-2015, 05:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Testosterone levels drop, don't they? But DON'T EAT SOY! It has estrogen-like substances and will seriously affect men. (physically) I was buying soy milk until I found out. YIKES!

Old 08-12-2015, 06:38 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Testosterone levels drop, don't they? But DON'T EAT SOY! It has estrogen-like substances and will seriously affect men. (physically) I was buying soy milk until I found out. YIKES!
The feminizing effect of soybean on men is a myth and has been disproved by scientific studies

Soybean isoflavone exposure does not have feminizing effects on men: a critical examination of the clinical evidence. - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
Conclusion(s):The intervention data indicate that isoflavones do not exert feminizing effects on men at intake levels equal to and even considerably higher than are typical for Asian males.
The Top 5 Soy Myths

Quote:
3. Soy causes feminization in men. High doses of phytoestrogens have been shown to impair male rats’ ability to produce offspring, but the same effect hasn’t been found in male humans.5 Since many of the concerns related to soy come from studies in rats and mice, it’s important to recognize that rodents metabolize soy isoflavones differently than humans, essentially making these studies inapplicable.2

While individual cases of sex hormone changes in men eating soyfoods have been reported, these men were consuming extremely high doses of soy (3 quarts of soymilk per day, in one case), and the effects were reversed when the soy intake was discontinued.6 A 2010 review in Fertility and Sterility concluded that “neither isoflavone supplements nor isoflavone-rich soy affect total or free testosterone levels” and that there’s “essentially no evidence from nine identified clinical studies that isoflavone exposure affects circulating estrogen levels in men.”7

Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just read that, it makes sense to this 65YO male. Old men generally behave like women, masculine traits replaced by feminine ones. And how I wish my feminine traits had come sooner, like around 30YO!

Agree, Disagree? Any evidence of this being true? And as women get older, which direction do they go?
They remain the same? So, with an elderly couple, if this is true, then has their marriage become a same-sex marriage?

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, yet, and I see enough proof of this every day!
I once read, possibly in Gail Sheehy's book Passages, that men and women both have estrogen and testosterone. When women go through menopause they lose the estrogen but the testosterone stays around longer and that's why women can become more aggressive and stand up for themselves in later years. That's also why some women grow facial hair, etc. and lose hair on their head! Men have their own form of menopause and start to lose their testosterone but the estrogen subsides slower. I have NO idea why these things would be so and I don't have the book anymore to look it up. I DO have her book New Passages so will check that out. I found it interesting to say the least.

Same sex marriage? I know what you're getting at but I don't think it's that major. lol

Old 08-12-2015, 07:49 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just read that, it makes sense to this 65YO male. Old men generally behave like women, masculine traits replaced by feminine ones. And how I wish my feminine traits had come sooner, like around 30YO!

Agree, Disagree? Any evidence of this being true? And as women get older, which direction do they go?
They remain the same? So, with an elderly couple, if this is true, then has their marriage become a same-sex marriage?

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, yet, and I see enough proof of this every day!
Interesting premise. I can only speak from personal experience.

At my age, I voice my data-driven proposals at work with no holds barred. As well, being older has taught me to listen - really listen - to the counterarguments from the peanut gallery. I no longer walk on eggshells to consider the PC view, as long as I have the fact pattern in my pocket.

This is way different from my early middle-aged days.

Rather than a shift in estrogen, I'm convinced that my later middle-aged posture has to do with the fact that I have creds, experience, F-U money, other places to go, and enough outside-of-work communitarian/ socialization opportunities that I'm not concerned about being ostracized by the timid.

I'm open to the hypothesis that my presentation has to do with a diminished estrogen level as well. As far as the numbers go, I'm sure mine has fallen in line with the rest of the population.

I find I don't waste energy with inner turmoil, that I'm more judicious in my speech, and that I don't waste time looking back unless a new fact surfaces that is not in line with the fact pattern I've established.

It's a nice, low stress life when you drop the churn and speak about the facts. Which you present in accordance with your framing.

JMHO, your mileage may vary and all that.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:24 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I once read, possibly in Gail Sheehy's book Passages, that men and women both have estrogen and testosterone. When women go through menopause they lose the estrogen but the testosterone stays around longer and that's why women can become more aggressive and stand up for themselves in later years. That's also why some women grow facial hair, etc. and lose hair on their head! Men have their own form of menopause and start to lose their testosterone but the estrogen subsides slower.
The ratios of estrogen to testosterone levels in women do decrease with age but the amount of testosterone actually decreases with age in both men (more so) and women (less so). In addition, the amounts of testosterone in women is very low in comparison to those in men. So, I think it is a myth that testosterone levels are what cause women become more aggressive or man-like in their later years. Some women do become more assertive as they get older but I think this is more to do with experience and confidence than T level!

Testosterone Levels by Age

The data cited in the above article show average level of testosterone in adult male being 270 to 1070 ng/dL whereas the average level of testosterone in adult female being 15-70 ng/dL. It should be noted that for women, T-levels are higher in infancy (20-80 ng/dL) and puberty (20-75 ng/dL).

So with a decrease of 1% testosterone per year in male after the age of 30, a 60 years old men still has between ~190 to 750 ng/dL. Even if an older woman's T level stays constant at 15-70ng/dL, she only has 1/11th to 1/12th the T level of an older man.

Yes, it is true that at menopause, the ratio of male hormones -- androgens -- to estrogen may change, and this can produce mild increases in facial hair but excessive hair growth is indicative of some medical disorder

CNN - Excess facial hair: What's normal, what's not - November 29, 1999

Old 08-12-2015, 09:31 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,236 times
generally what should happen is your innate personality should amplify however i keep reading how old people agree that they should have followed their own heart and desires rather than trying to please family friends or society when they were younger. they say that so easily but the fact is they would have done the same thing if they could go back in time. i know some old men from the gym around 55 and so on till the 70s. i do not see girly traits in them. one of them had gotten his wife pregnant 27 times and she aborted all 27 times. he bragged that he gets her pregnant everytime on vacation and this is coming from an older bald man (good body though). he has not turned feminine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement