Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:59 AM

396 posts, read 512,644 times

Advertisements

Our children don't need to help us out. We have helped them out on the rare occasion that something unexpected comes up that puts them in a bind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 07:08 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I don't see why the OP thinks his parents will need his help. Their financial position, which right now is just fine, is just not any of OP's business. They make a decent salary and if they haven't saved for their retirement, they will do what other people in the same boat (probably 40% or more of the US population in their 50's) do. IF dad gets fired, he will find another job until they can afford to retire or at least apply for SS. No where did OP say that they have asked for money in the past, nor have they asked for OP's advice.

To answer OP's question, I don't know any retired people who are receiving help from their kids. By far it is the other way around, "kids" in their 30's asking for help with down payments, student loans, a place to live after divorce, free babysitting, etc.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
In some parts of the country, 70-80K income per year, without relying on government support programs, is just making it. The OP is implying that if they lose that income and still refuse to move away from their current home (I would guess they are renting?) then they will need his/her financial help.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 AM

Somehow OP's parents have managed to live on their own as self-supporting adults for the first 50 years of their life without OP's assistance. I'm sure they will be just fine.

If either of them were mentally or physically challenged, then I can see expecting to have to help, but apparently their only shortcoming is stubbornly refusing to move to where there might be better employment. Not OP's problem. Let them live their lives on their own terms.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:29 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I didn't ask if they should be pitied or whatever. I asked a simple question.

The fact is that $16-$18/hr is not a good income for someone nearing retirement. He also will be commuting 500 miles/week now. They have two car payments, a mortgage, and other debt. That $70k-$80k does not go as far as you would think in that situation.

If he is fired, the odds of him getting a job where he's at are very low. They will probably have to relocate to a healthier area, sell the house, etc. The odds of either one of them getting hired in their late 50s are very low, and that's where I see they'll need assistance.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 AM

396 posts, read 512,644 times
OP, your question is one facing many. There is a good article on Forbes here that addresses it. It's a tough spot to be in. Good luck to you.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:41 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Convo, it's hard to summon up a lot of pity for people (such as your parents) who live in a low cost area, and haul in between $70-$80K. That's about $700/week, each. Half the country lives on $500/wk or less. During the four years between when I retire and when I start collecting SS, I will live on less than $600/wk from dividends and interest. I figure it will be puh-lenty, for those four years (knock on wood).

I have worked in high-earning jobs my entire life, with multiple graduate degrees, and I'll be "earning" $600/wk. I would not dream of throwing myself on my kids for help. In fact, the only concern I have is that on $600/wk, I will no longer be able to fund my younger two kids' Roths. Being that they're thick in the middle of the middle-class-jobs dearth that started in the 90s, they're scrambling to keep body and soul together on the nationwide median income scale, cited above. That is, $500/wk.

You want me to feel sorry for your parents - why, exactly? I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but wtf?
Bingo. If Dad is on a final warning, then he is screwing up at work, which is his own fault.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
This makes me think the OP feels sorry for his parents...maybe even a little disgusted at their lack of ambition...and fearful that it'll all come back on HIM! Maybe the parents are feeling okay about things and that's what makes OP so nervous!

OP - you can do what you want, help them or not. If you want to let them know about options to save for retirement, fine - just don't assume they're gonna take all your money.
Well, considering the OP is Emigrations, who just changed their alias recently, it's par for the course.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:52 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
I expect there more age 60 plus parents worried about having to help their kids out than who expect their kids to help THEM. Maybe I'm wrong

Old 08-13-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Well, considering the OP is Emigrations, who just changed their alias recently, it's par for the course.
Aaahh... that explains the familiar tone. I should have recognized it.

He's just going to have to live with the frustration of stubborn parents who want to live their own life. He can kick in if they need it, but is under no obligation to help people who are determined to pi$$ away their money. He can offer advice, but they don't have to take it. It's sort of like having an adult child with money problems of their own making. You can be there to prevent total homelessness, but for the most part you have to let them find their own way. Sort of like tough love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement