Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:58 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times

Advertisements

My 75-year-old husband looks a lot older than I do. Some of it was genetic. He started going bald in his 20s and is almost completely bald now with a fringe of snow-white hair. The rest of it is lifestyle. He is sedentary and doesn't engage in any sport. He never does any type of physical activity that is more strenuous than light gardening or a leisurely stroll. He spends most of his time on the computer, reading or watching TV. He can't resist carbs and sweets and is about 50 lbs. overweight. He's had to have surgery to get a cardiac stent because of clogged coronary arterties. He also has high blood pressure and swollen ankles from all the meds he takes daily.

I am 66 and work out strenuously at the gym four times a week. My hair started to go gray in my 40s, but I've always colored it. I am about 30 lbs. overweight because I also like my carbs and sweets, but I am not happy about this and am making a conscious effort to limit my food intake and resist snacking. But I think the exercise has done me more to make me look younger than anything else, and it gives me lots of energy and a healthy complexion.

In addition to the physical factors, I think there are psychological reasons why some people look younger than others. I look younger because I am naturally an optimist, I look for the positive in everything and I smile a lot. My husband is more Eeyore-like. He is overly cautious, has a lot of anxiety and tends to expect the worst possible outcome in any situation. I think that attitude makes him look older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 06:17 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is the key to it, right here - genetics.

All this talk about going to the gym, and keeping the weight off...that has nothing to do with how fast you are aging! That has to do with your weight and fitness level. It's important, but has little to do with aging.

One of the sorriest sights I've ever seen was when an attractive lady we'd known for many years, suddenly decided in her mid-60s, to go on a diet. Well, she lost plenty of weight, alright, almost 100 lbs. But she ended up looking like a frail little old lady, full of wrinkles. I think she lost too much.

The wife and I have been active non-stop since we retired almost 3 years ago. Now we're thinking of slowing down the hectic pace, and livin' a little. I'm 6'-2" and never been heavy, but I've never seen the inside of a gym, either. Nor has my wife, even though she tends to put on some weight in the hips. But all of that is about weight and fitness level. As for actual aging, neither of us is old enough yet to be "old".
I remember when our high school home economics teacher did the same thing. She wasn't huge, just had a big rear end and I guess normal padding for an early 50 year old woman.

She went on some drastic diet during the summer. Came back thin and she looked awful. The wrinkles quadrupled.

I can't even say how old she was. The young brain in me back when I was 16 would say she was in her 60s, but rationally, she had a son and daughter in high school with us, so I now would give her age at the most 50.

See how back then I would have said the woman was 60 years old easily. Cuz I just saw an older person, and yes she died her hair.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You can eat right and try to control your weight but mostly you will end up looking like your parents anyway.
Thanks. I really needed to hear that.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
Nope... He's twice my age.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:55 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Spouse is 2.5 years younger than I.

We both had parents that lived long lives - into their 90's with the exception of my dad who died at age 80.

I am older but my spouse has more issues - cholestrol, acid reflux, allergies, and chronic back pain - and unfortunately, he is his mother's son and sees a lot of doctors who do nothing for him other than take his money and prescribe meds that he may or may not need.

But I have my aches and pains too - and have noticed I am running out of steam staying in the workplace.

We both work out - I am a gym rat 4 times a week and he swims and we both walk the dog.

In most ways I am healthier than he is - even tho I carry the workload more than he does.....

We'll probably come out even in the long run.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:33 PM

13 posts, read 13,542 times
I am 5 years older than my husband, but for many years looked much younger. Then, breast cancer happened and that chemo easily aged me 20 years in only one. So, then he looked much younger than me. Then, after seriously injuring his back, he looks older too. We both look pretty old.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:49 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,361 times
My wife has a bum knee and has for several years. IMO she lets that slow her down more than necessary; it isn't constant. I have all sorts of joint problems (real ones that show up on X rays and MRI; two have been surgically repaired) but I fight it more and remain more active. We are within a few months of each other in age. In a portrait, I might look a little older (more gray and face wrinkles) but not in action shots.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I see a lot of older men and women in pretty good shape physically in comparison with their SO's. I have no info on whether they're working out, though two men and several women I know hit the gym every single day and their spouses seem not to ever exercise.

From the outside, they appear to be aging at a different pace than their partners. Mine has the body of a 40-year-old. He's never seen the inside of a gym, gets all his "fitness" from constant physical activity when away from his desk. He eats a spartan diet by choice. I, on the the other hand, am starting to experience a bit of "spread" despite my efforts at the gym and a good diet. I tend to flag way before he does on long days or on trips.

I also notice this with differing attitudes between one partner and the other, not just physique. Some attitudes seem to reflect the general feel of aging.

If you are partnered...are you aging differently than your SO or spouse?
I'm older than my spouse but am aging more slowly. At some point we'll cross over each other in terms of aging if one of use does not pass away too early.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No; my wife is five years younger and about where I was five years ago. I didn't really feel any physical side of aging until about 60 which effected me. I have replaced activity slowing from age with cardio fitness training which is earlier on body at fitness center. Upto date on physicals and recommended preventive exams now.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:33 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,082,250 times
My wife is 6 months younger than I and she still could pass for someone in her early 40s. She will however hit a point as do most Asian women rapidly age outwardly. My graceful aging which started in my early 40s now shows signs of slowing. It probably will pick up again but.... until then I will continue to compliment my trophy wife!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement