Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:41 AM

332 posts, read 286,595 times

Advertisements

I am a single woman, 55, divorced, no kids, no debt, own my home, car have a good 401K and financial Advisor I trust. I've recently had to take time off for a stress related illness (have been off 4 weeks, have 5 more to go). I'm on track to retire comfortably at age 60; I've lived frugally, and am pretty low maintenance (-: My question is, should I continue to work the schedule I have and maximize my earnings, or drop a day and maybe work an extra year? I am bored with my job, and wouldn't have trouble filling my time with more Yoga and relaxing activities. These past several weeks have been a wake up call, challenging health-wise, but a lot of introspection too. Thanks for any thoughts you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:26 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Hi! Sorry your stress level has been so severe. In regard to your question, is the stress directly related to the boredom of your job or to something else? Do you anticipate that it would be relieved by gaining an extra day for other activities?

I would suggest that you try to find a new interest, hobby or activity that would "spark" up your life somehow. Yoga and other relaxing activities are great, but they can also lead to mental ruminations which are not helpful in the case of depression, if you in fact experiencing depression. Activities which are more active (mentally and/or physically) are often better for breaking and changing old patterns that can increase our stress levels.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Dixie: Any chance you could get your employer to change you to half time or something like it? When I had back problems and worked full time at a job I couldn't stand, my doc wrote a note saying I needed part time work, 20 hours a week and I took it into the supervisor. Caused quite a stir. After alot of negotiating and upheaval, they finally decided to make it work and I stayed at the job another 7 years, half time. It was exactly what I needed and I began to look forward to going to work, after a day off. I finally retired but could have lasted another 5 years because it was half time.

My point is employers need to make accommodations if you have some type of condition that limits your work ability. My condition actually was boredom, disguised with an aching back !

Old 08-15-2015, 10:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Unfortunately, once an employee goes out on a stress related disability, your employer will be watching you carefully. Maybe working one day a week less would be helpful but if it were me I'd go back (initially) to working full time and see how it goes. Also, if you are under a doctor's care, which I assume you are, see what their recommendation when it's time to go back, only you and they can really determine how you are doing. You say you could "retire comfortably at age 60", which is quite young, but nobody knows what will happen between now and then. Take care of yourself! And I agree with the poster who said to be cautious of activities that are too introspective and ruminating about stuff over and over. Sometimes it's good to "get outside of ourselves", get involved in a charity, something like that can work wonders. Even having a pet can help alleviate a lot of stress.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:57 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
I think this is hard to answer for a poster. Thus I would vote for taking the day off and working an extra year. I am really thinking that coasting into retirement by cutting back on work is the way to go. However the one day a week doesn't really do that. Could you make the days off Friday and Monday to make the time off longer. Maybe work three weeks and take the fourth week off?

Old 08-15-2015, 03:35 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
'Stress' is often viewed subjectively. At 55, taking 9-weeks off for a 'stress related illness' could create some resentment among those who have to pick-up the slack ... or an awareness that there wasn't that much slack to pick-up. Neither is a particularly good perception if you plan to keep working. It might be best to get back as soon as you can and 'keep your head down' for a while.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:53 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Watch out or you will rise to the top of the lay off list.

When they thin the herd, they take out the slow ones first.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:00 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Might as well take care of yourself. Retire sooner if necessary. Enjoy yourself while you can. And get EVERYTHING legal in writing so your estate goes the way you want it to. Beneficiaries, Will, executors (primary and secondary), Healthcare Proxies (primary and secondary), Power of Attorney (primary and secondary). Choose an attorney that specializes in this area, not someone who does other things and may screw things up on you. Good luck and God Bless you.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:06 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,528 times
There is lots of good advice by the other posters which doesn't allow me much to add. Except possibly that things will be different when you return to work. Be prepared.

Stress illness can creep up on you and not even noticed at the time. Been there, done that. I just had to quit one of my 4 jobs to get back to "normal".

From your history, I think you will be fine when you adjust your activities to add some stress relief activities in your life.

Keep up the good work and best wishes toward your retirement!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:00 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
My job was so stressful I was relieved when they downsized & my position was eliminated. I did temp jobs after that. Less pay but a lot less stress.
I forgot to add that between unemployment, the temp jobs & my severance package I managed to last until I was declared disabled after a car accident & now receive SSDI. Long story. It's in other posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement