Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Please share where you get 6% interest on any investment
Closer than FL...

(inexpensive) 2nd homes on acreage...

I have 4 in Hill Country TX. (income tax free state, as are all my investments)
Bought for ~ $100k each.
rented for $1200 - $1600 / month (gross) = ~ 10+% net + equity gain and inflation protected.

Each has a FREE place for me to use as second home (cabin or shop with apartment, and / or RV sites) I fly back and forth for ~$100 each way (cheaper than fuel.. almost... my fuel is FREE... cooking oil, but much faster to FLY 2500 miles than to drive it!), I keep a $35 car at each site.

Renter cares for / mows / waters the landscape, feeds the pets and livestock.

Hill Country TX is NOT a perfect place to retreat, but suits me as an escape from the 280 days of overcast in PNW (Central TX can be cold in winter, but gets sunny days and usually 60f+ during most of winter). I have LOTS of hobbies there and in PNW and Colorado, Plan a place in NE TN, but I prefer Asia for WARM (Thailand for medical care since I am 'self-insured'). Flight to BKK cost ~ $700 RT but I save that much every 2 weeks while not paying $1700 / month Ins premiums. ($20k annual deductible anyway,,,)

I only get 7-8% NROI on my PNW properties, but equity gain potential is MUCH higher (I only buy props that are well below market price).

All excess properties will be sold on a 70% owner contract when I get too old to manage them, (and if interest rates exceed 6% (Likely))

Historically (for last 40 yrs) I have got 12% return on my rural rentals and additional 12% annual equity gain)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:05 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
For those thinking Asheville for winter getaway, jeez, might as well live in Ohio. They have ski resorts there..
No kidding! Charlotte isn't either. They can get snow/ice storms.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:13 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What information is missing? I'd be happy to answer it.

We don't want to waste too much - if any - time renting. We might do that one winter. Once we decide where.

Grass? We would hire a handyman. We know many people who do this. So maintaining two places is the least of our concerns. We want to LIKE our second home and the areas.

Thank for your comments.
It would not be wasted time or money if you find out something unanticipated about the place. you initially select. And considering you are quite undecided at this point with only the requirements of "<100k and sophisticated" there's a lot of variability...I'm assuming here, but if you only have $100k to spend you REALLY don't want to make a mistake!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What information is missing? I'd be happy to answer it.

We don't want to waste too much - if any - time renting. We might do that one winter. Once we decide where.

Grass? We would hire a handyman. We know many people who do this. So maintaining two places is the least of our concerns. We want to LIKE our second home and the areas.

Thank for your comments.
My only comment is that when you find a place in a desirable area for $100K, please let me know where.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
No guarantees anywhere north of the Tampa to Melbourne FL line about winter; last year NC had a fairly miserable Jan-March (or at least I thought so). It wasn't as bad as the NE, but if you had come here to escape somewhere else you would have been disappointed. It was atypical, but I still would not consider NC a snowbird destination. Cataloochee ski area is near Asheville (actually a little south of Asheville) and as others have said, it is not at all close to the coast. If you want a US mainland beach that is warm in the winter that isn't FL then probably South Padre Island, TX is about as close as you will get but your budget would be low there. And it is not quite as warm. Plenty of 60s and a few 70s for highs in the winter there.
Why not coastal South Carolina?

Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We live in northern Maine. I love the winters up here, snow and all! But I cannot stand the heat of summers too far south of here. We decided to get a little something to escpse the worst of winter.

We bought raw land in rural Tennessee, and had a small modular home delivered and placed on it. With the well, septic, slab, plus the land and modular home, it cost us about $125K. My wife has family in the area, and her brother went in on this deal with us. It's worked out well.

Everybody knows better than to ask me to go down there at this time of year. I could never stand the heat! But it's pleasant for me from about November until May. No coastal access, but we have that in Maine, and there is a really nice lake for fishing nearby, in Tennessee. Just an example of what we did.
Are you really a Maineah if you live half the year somewhere else?

Old 08-17-2015, 05:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Even Ft Lauderdale has it's cold days in winter.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:24 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Why not coastal South Carolina?
Maybe a condo for that. I don't know about a house in a good area, I doubt it.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:30 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Even Ft Lauderdale has it's cold days in winter.
Oooh, I'll say! I lived in Miami for 25 years and experienced some very cold January temps, with wind!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:11 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The median home ownership length for snowbirds is about 5 years. I'm not saying it won't work for you but the typical experience is that people buy, do it for a few years, and decide it's not for them for one of a plethora of reasons. It could be financial where they didn't fully appreciate the costs of owning, operating, maintaining, and traveling to a second home 1000+ miles away. They might have problems integrating into their new community. Health issues. Family issues back at home.

I think most people would be better served doing a long-term rental for at least the first year.
Well what happens, happens. I can't predict the future, and we are not ready to move. We will have two children in college this Fall - but our nest is still not technically empty.

We like the idea of living in two places! We both enjoy change. And travel.

Will we eventually move for good? Right now I'd say no. But, hey, you never know.

In terms of "cold" weather in Miami or Orlando - that isn't the norm. Ohio winters are brutal from mid January through March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement