Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:58 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered why people put off travel many physical things until their older years. Fortunately, I'm out most weekends hiking, swimming, or doing things outdoors, weather permitting. Many folks never reach traditional retirement age, and of those who do, many have their plans derailed by health concerns or other issues.

Have you ever known anyone who coasted in their younger years, either not working at all or minimally, to engage in the best of life's pursuits, and then worked well into retirement age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 10:40 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
We took a couple of trips to Europe and one to Australia plus some cruises while I was still working. We are glad we did because we couldn't do it today. A lot of it was done on frequent flyer miles that are now no longer there. At 80 and 81 we don't navigate like we used to.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:57 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Well I don't know if it's a "reverse retirement"...but I HAVE been thinking about wether I should 'play more now".....and work longer later.

I'm 55 and am DESPERATELY looking forward to retirement at 65. And in my current frame of mind really am thinking of putting off most travel until then. By that I mean any trip that might cost more than 1K. I DO have about 8K in debt I'm paying off so that's also part of my put off travel thought process.

I KNOW one shouldn't put off travel because anything can happen and who knows it you'll be able to travel five or ten years from now. BUT I also feel that any travel I do now, and money I spend now....and don't save.....only means I'll likely have to work longer.

I'm thinking I'd rather get to retirement....see how much I have then -- THEN i'll know how much travel I can afford. Also, I did a fair amount of travel when I was younger, so it won't be the end of the world if I DON'T get to some places. I figure I've lived this long with out going there...if I never get there "oh, well"...it's just be one thing I didn't do that I can live with.

I REALLY do NOT want to work. And 3-5K a year on travel just isn't in the budget if I want to retire at 65. Don't get me wrong I'd LOVE a Canadian, Alaskan, or Scandanavian cruise....BUT I just can't see spending that kind of money now. There's just no place I want to go BAD ENOUGH if I think it will delay my retirement.

Anyone else deciding how much to spend now....and save for retirement? Or how much to "play now" if it means "working longer."

Old 08-23-2015, 11:59 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Many network marketing companies have incentive trips. Currently the company I am with has a incentive trip to a all expense resort in Cancun.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:09 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
yes. I used to envy her her freedom.

I don't anymore-she's living on disability. Can barely walk and uses a walker when she does. I'm glad she got to do the things she did when she was younger (and healthier).

I'm also glad for the path I've chosen.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
play hard, work hard

retire early, retire often

My first retirement was at age 16, then 35, 49 and 60... I hope many more to come.

Take each day as an opportunity to express, respect, and appreciate your freedom and ability.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:40 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
That's feasible only if you don't breed.

Once you get married, have kids, have a mortgage, and get on the corporate hamster wheel, it's hard to get off. Most of us don't figure this out until it's too late.

On the other hand, friends I know now without kids who are in their late 60s are beginning to wonder how they will cope with increasing debilitation without family support.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:13 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I think retirees and soon-to-be-retirees will be best served by looking at their parents and grandparents. How long did they live? At what age did they become infirm? Life isn't necessarily a crapshoot; your family gives you a big clue as to how you'll fare. If one or more died before 65 of heart disease or cancer, that's a possibility for you. If they lived to a hale 95, that's another possibility for you.

I cannot believe some of the posts on this board, of folks afraid of their own shadows. Draw up your pedigree of parents and grandparents, how long they lived, what they died from. Go to your doctor; ask him/her what they think. Perhaps some testing will be in order. If after all that, and you still feel fine, kwitcher bellyachin' and yer whinin'. Assume you'll be fine, and plan accordingly.

I see there's another thread here somewhere wanting to know at what age people still travel. If you are 90 and really want to go someplace, by gosh there are folks that age doing it. At age 68 I don't worry about tomorrow. I don't have time to. I'm too busy living for today. That's all I have to say.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:42 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
My first trip to Europe was when I was 50 and again at 55. 'Empty Nest' was a rebirth for us. Just the term, empty nest, denotes an ending, something missing and gone forever, but what can be better than to have your child or children successfully on his own path and suddenly you're just responsible for yourself? We have our health (thankfully so) and more financial resources now than before. Retirement is highly personal, it's like pizza. Thick crust lots of cheese (Chicago style) not for me. Hawaiian, nope but thanks. Thin crust, dollops of cheese, Margarita style, sure! There's no universal pizza or one-size-fits-all way to do retirement.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've always wondered why people put off travel many physical things until their older years. Fortunately, I'm out most weekends hiking, swimming, or doing things outdoors, weather permitting. Many folks never reach traditional retirement age, and of those who do, many have their plans derailed by health concerns or other issues.

Have you ever known anyone who coasted in their younger years, either not working at all or minimally, to engage in the best of life's pursuits, and then worked well into retirement age?
How, exactly, can you afford "to engage in the best of life's pursuits" when you don't "work at all or minimally" unless you're a trust funder? For most people, "the best of life's pursuits" likely involves significant expense. I know a couple of mine would. I want to tour the country by car with my dog like John Steinbeck did, and I want to visit the town in Italy that my grandparents left in 1909.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement