Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 12:37 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times

Advertisements

I like that idea of always having something to look forward to. Sometimes the anticipation turns out to be the best part of the event.

And curiosity. Try not to lose it! There's always something more I want to know.

I get a boost from every baby or toddler I smile at, too. A healthy, well-adjusted little one automatically sends out a dose of recognition and love (if you don't scare them too badly with your single, long eyebrow hair first.)

So see if you can find one to fuss over. They may be the most genuine, unconditional smiles you ever get in your life. Always makes my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 01:06 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
What makes a man grow old? A nagging woman LOL Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:56 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I like that idea of always having something to look forward to. Sometimes the anticipation turns out to be the best part of the event.

And curiosity. Try not to lose it! There's always something more I want to know.

I get a boost from every baby or toddler I smile at, too. A healthy, well-adjusted little one automatically sends out a dose of recognition and love (if you don't scare them too badly with your single, long eyebrow hair first.)

So see if you can find one to fuss over. They may be the most genuine, unconditional smiles you ever get in your life. Always makes my day.

I so agree with you re babies and toddlers. I also am enthused with dog walkers. I almost always ask them about their dog, compliment them, and if the animal lets me, I pet them.

Kids are a whole different ballgame. Many of my friends have grandchildren. I have them, too, even great-grands. However, they are all in OK and unfortunately, I never hear or see them. It's a very long, sad story so do not want to go into the details of it. Last night while dining in a family-type restaurant, there was a little girl just full of the dickens. She was a lot of fun to watch.

Enjoy them if and when you can!

Old 08-29-2015, 02:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
TV makes people grow old.
Oh my! And here I thought it was age when coupled with stinkin' thinkin'.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
A sedentary life will actually make you more tired. It sounds contradictory, but more regular exercise will result in more energy. Get up and get out there, and you'll find you'll have more energy.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Depression is EXHAUSTING.

I don't know if you're depressed btw but it is a symptom.

When I have one of my bad days the next 2 days are almost a writeoff.

Emotional blow out day 1 - day 2 I'm calm again, but I can barely move. Last week it took me 6 rests to get one tiny bit of vacuuming done. I have literally seen fitter 100 year olds - every part of my body aches like Ive been hit by a car.

I actually take painkillers day 2.

Day 3 im stiff but clearly in Recovery, with more energy. Im usually able to go for a walk day 3 but that's about it.

All of the above is a clear physical pattern I've noticed over the last few years.

My psych explained why - your emotional pain centre is wired to trip off your physical pain centre when the emotional becomes too much. Literally, in the brain, they are side by side and linked together.

Now, I don't know if this applies to you, at all - all I'm saying is there are clearly defined psychological causes for SOME physical pain and/or discomfort and lack of energy.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:44 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
I'm a little biased, but it my belief that people get 'old' because they stop riding bicycles. Even if someone has a physical disability, there are technological innovations that allow continued riding.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:23 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Here's another vote for riding bicycles. I typically didn't exercise much most of my adult life. Last year I started on a bicycle and have worked my way up to 35 miles a week, 5 rides a week, average length about 7 miles. What I've noticed is that many of the effects of old age have reduced. I used to occasionally lose my balance, but that has pretty much disappeared. I used to nap during the day, and that's all gone, and I sleep better at night. I have more energy, and my ED problem has gotten much better. So my advice is, get a bike and start riding. Fresh air is great also.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Get yourself a young girlfriend. Yet accept then again the body does age. Everyone gets a turn at youth and then advanced age.
My first thought when I saw the thread title, "What makes a man grow old", was to answer, A Woman!

I think having a young girlfriend in some ways would make you feel younger, but in other ways you would start feeling your age even more.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
I have a neighbor that is 77, and he runs rings around me at 61. He just had bone spurs taken off his back, and he told me

the first question he asked his Dr. was when could he get back to mowing? This guy mows his yard every 10 days, trims

shrubs, and does any, and everything he can to stay moving, mainly outside. Simply amazing. So to the OP, maybe yard
work to help you feel younger.

I will agree with the majority that TV is something to enjoy when a person has nothing else to do.

Otherwise,it is a black hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement