Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:06 PM

368 posts, read 365,117 times

Advertisements

Just curious. If so, where? I'm just a retired cop who does not need golf. Just a gym nearby. Nevada or Florida,or other no state tax or pensions not taxed by the state. I'm in SoCal,so anything would be cheaper for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 04:07 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Yes
I think this will be very dependent on the community. A new community will have more 55 year old than an established community. You will also find some people working from home or working in the local community.

I am sure you will be in the minority. Remember you could be living where ever you move for another 40 years. Consider your needs as you get older - transportation, medical etc.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:18 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
DH and I just visited a 60+ community.
The average move-in age there is 78.

We were flabbergasted!

Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
Just curious. If so, where? I'm just a retired cop who does not need golf. Just a gym nearby. Nevada or Florida,or other no state tax or pensions not taxed by the state. I'm in SoCal,so anything would be cheaper for me.
Watch out for HOAs. A lot of folks lost their retirement condos in the crash because of crazy increases in their HOA fees.

I saw a ton of places that had been repo'd for HOA fees. The HOA fees alone were more than I'd been paying in rent. All were over-55 facilities in Florida.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:03 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
jr6035, when I retire in another month or so, I'll be moving to a 55+ community in a northern Rocky Mountain state. In fact, the area is well known as a retirement location for ex-LEOs from SoCal. I've spent enough time there and have talked to some of the residents and have had explained to me the demographic breakdown of the community.

People who live there are divided into roughly three equal categories: one-third are still employed on a full-time basis, one-third are full-time retirees, and the last one-third are snow-bird retirees. This is just a guess, but I strongly suspect that those still working full-time are closer to the 55 age than the others. Those who are there full-time are probably on the upper age range of residents, as they probably don't travel well any longer; and the snow-birds are probably somewhere in between.

Pyewackette mentioned unreasonable HOAs. From what I gather, this particular community is somewhat unique in that you own the house and lease the land it sits upon. Good and bad in that, I suspect. The monthly lease fee not only includes the land lease, but also wi-fi, trash, water, sewer, snow removal, rv storage, and access to the clubhouse that includes the dance floor, salt water swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, video and book lending library, computer room, a small cinema, gymnasium, putting green, pickle-ball court, and an outdoor barbecue area. Probably something else, but I've forgotten. Only thing you need to pay for is natural gas, electricity, and cable/satellite television. Fees have only increased once, just recently, since the complex was created. It's almost all built out, then the only units available will be resales.

Only thing I don't like about the complex is how it looks. The houses are in the 1,200-1,800 square foot range, but sit on tiny lots. The houses are really close to each other. That makes the place looks like mobile home park, (no offense intended for those who live in one). But, it's a "community", and being by myself, I realize that I need to "belong" somewhere. Might as well be here. The area has everything I could possibly want for a retirement home.

p.s. There is a state income tax, but don't think they tax pensions. Taken all together, the cost-of-living is way, way less than SoCal. (I would know! I've been a resident since birth.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-12-2017, 05:40 PM

368 posts, read 365,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
jr6035, when I retire in another month or so, I'll be moving to a 55+ community in a northern Rocky Mountain state. In fact, the area is well known as a retirement location for ex-LEOs from SoCal. I've spent enough time there and have talked to some of the residents and have had explained to me the demographic breakdown of the community.

People who live there are divided into roughly three equal categories: one-third are still employed on a full-time basis, one-third are full-time retirees, and the last one-third are snow-bird retirees. This is just a guess, but I strongly suspect that those still working full-time are closer to the 55 age than the others. Those who are there full-time are probably on the upper age range of residents, as they probably don't travel well any longer; and the snow-birds are probably somewhere in between.

Pyewackette mentioned unreasonable HOAs. From what I gather, this particular community is somewhat unique in that you own the house and lease the land it sits upon. Good and bad in that, I suspect. The monthly lease fee not only includes the land lease, but also wi-fi, trash, water, sewer, snow removal, rv storage, and access to the clubhouse that includes the dance floor, salt water swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, video and book lending library, computer room, a small cinema, gymnasium, putting green, pickle-ball court, and an outdoor barbecue area. Probably something else, but I've forgotten. Only thing you need to pay for is natural gas, electricity, and cable/satellite television. Fees have only increased once, just recently, since the complex was created. It's almost all built out, then the only units available will be resales.

Only thing I don't like about the complex is how it looks. The houses are in the 1,200-1,800 square foot range, but sit on tiny lots. The houses are really close to each other. That makes the place looks like mobile home park, (no offense intended for those who live in one). But, it's a "community", and being by myself, I realize that I need to "belong" somewhere. Might as well be here. The area has everything I could possibly want for a retirement home.

p.s. There is a state income tax, but don't think they tax pensions. Taken all together, the cost-of-living is way, way less than SoCal. (I would know! I've been a resident since birth.)

Can you PM the location?

Old 01-12-2017, 05:51 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
I live in Sun City Anthem in Henderson, NV -- love it. I would say the average age is mid-60s but it seems to be trending younger as older residents die off.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:18 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I moved into a 55+ community at age 66, but I kept getting older as I went along. I was 80 when I left there.

That community of 29,000 residents had 7 golf courses, but only 25% of the residents played. They are a money pit.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:26 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
Sun City, Georgetown TX (near Austin), a 55+ community. Not sure what the average resident age is, but I see people of all ages over 55 here. It does have 2 golf courses, but also 2 rec centers with gyms, pools, and a bunch of other stuff with a very reasonable HOA fee, less than a lot of SC communities that have no golf courses. It is houses and duplexes privately owned (no condos at present), although some owners lease out their properties. You own the land and house. Most owners are responsible for their own property maintenance, although a few properties include association-provided maintenance of the landscaping, but the HOA is much higher for these homes.

This SC community also seems to be trending younger as the Boomers are coming in from all over and 2 new sections are now being built, so there's resales and new builds available.

https://www.sctexas.org/club/scripts...tion.asp?NS=HP

Quick Guide to Texas Retirement Income Taxes:

Texas is tax-friendly toward retirees.
Social security income is not taxed.
Withdrawals from retirement accounts are not taxed.
No state income tax.
Public pension income is not taxed, private pension income is not taxed.

That said, our property taxes are pretty high. I guess there will be trade-offs to be made wherever you are.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:31 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
Well, anything but New York City, Honolulu, Washington D.C., San Fransisco, Boston, and a few other places! LOL I've seen a number of different rankings of the most expensive places in the United States, and the rankings do vary over time and with the different listings; Los Angeles is always up there, but never in the top five.

Still, no quarrel with the basic idea. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement