Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,573,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I KNOW you've got to be kidding here! But, then again, I didn't see a "LOL" after the below statement.
Anyone with a functioning brain would agree with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:58 AM

8,917 posts, read 20,328,079 times
And, this (below) is suppose to mean what??? I love to kid around and that's what I was doing when I said something about Lego's and the Wii Game. But, we do like playing the Wii Game and it does give us exercise.
Anyway, there ARE Seniors out there that don't want to act like a "Senior" and I see nothing wrong with that. We have seen how some middle 60's people act and, bypassing the aches/pains of the age, we just don't want to act that age. We are a serious couple, just not that serious! LOL Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If neither of us want to work weekends because we enjoy doing things together, even watching NFL on Sundays, that should be entirely up to us...........even if we do state that we could use the extra money.
My brother absolutely hates computers and I love them. He loves labor type work, and still does it in his retirement. Labor type work and I have really never got along. Like my last job, give me an office w/phone and computer and I'm "tickled pink"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Old 10-02-2015, 05:12 PM

7,026 posts, read 6,267,903 times
I don't get that one either.

I did want to point out that my pain management clinic doctor told me that any time there is trauma to a part of the body there will be arthritis at that part, given time. This is why I'm contemplating moving to a warmer climate. The accident in my twenties, which I thought only hurt my car, did damage to my neck. Of course, since people are invincible when they are young, it wasn't even noticed until I had problems with the new accident when I had tests for my back. They checked out my neck at the same time.

Weird, both times the person ran a stop sign or red light.

Anyway, my point is that you are more prone to arthritis at these spots.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:17 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,880,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If she won't take third shift or a Friday through Sunday job, she doesn't want to work badly enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I KNOW you've got to be kidding here! But, then again, I didn't see a "LOL" after the below statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I would say LoveBoating has a very entitled mentality. Why would Gerania be kidding, LoveBoating? Sure, it's up to the two of you what you are willing to give up in order for your wife to be employed, but Gerania is just pointing out a simple fact. Don't moan and groan if you're going to be picky.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:27 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,393,823 times
OMG - wife is 67 y/o. If she's never worked third shift, it's pretty darn late in the game to be considering that now. Those hours are definitely harmful to one's health - especially at this late stage. My sister (RN) in her 30s/40s worked third shift - seriously exacerbated a mild, never previously bothersome genetic heart issue. She had to go back to day hours. Work can definitely be harmful to one's health, if not managed properly.

Weekend work - day or 2nd shift (my prime hours)- well, that might not be too bad.

But, again, 67 y/o - ye gads - why, at this age, twist oneself into a pretzel? I doubt money issues are really all that concerning here - more of a "would like to do" rather than a "must do."

No mas....

Old 10-02-2015, 05:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,564,498 times
Ariadne22, with many people living to age 85 or 87, and some older, I don't think 67 is old at all.

While some employers consider 67 as an old person......67 these days in other arenas is not viewed as old or lesser than.

Bernie Sanders running for President of U.S. is 74, Hillary Clinton running for President of U.S. is 68. Our U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, is 71.

And in many other areas of life 67 is not considered as old, opposite of what you imply.

Because many people live so much longer than before, the view of age 67 has changed in many arenas, even by some employers.

And many 67 yr olds who have taken care of themselves physically & health-wise & clothing-wise, definitely do not LOOK like many 67 yr olds of the past.

Also many 67 yr olds in today's world have a young attitude and young interests, and active minds.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-02-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 08:11 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,393,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Ariadne22, with many people living to age 85 or 87, and some older, I don't think 67 is old at all.

While some employers consider 67 as an old person......67 these days in other arenas is not viewed as old or lesser than.

Bernie Sanders running for President of U.S. is 74, Hillary Clinton running for President of U.S. is 68. Our U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, is 71.

And in many other areas of life 67 is not considered as old, opposite of what you imply.

Because many people live so much longer than before, the view of age 67 has changed in many arenas, even by some employers.

And many 67 yr olds who have taken care of themselves physically & health-wise & clothing-wise, definitely do not LOOK like many 67 yr olds of the past.

Also many 67 yr olds in today's world have a young attitude and young interests, and active minds.
Whoa!!! Clearly, the intent/perceived implication of my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
OMG - wife is 67 y/o. If she's never worked third shift, it's pretty darn late in the game to be considering that now. Those hours are definitely harmful to one's health - especially at this late stage. My sister (RN) in her 30s/40s worked third shift - seriously exacerbated a mild, never previously bothersome genetic heart issue. She had to go back to day hours. Work can definitely be harmful to one's health, if not managed properly.

Weekend work - day or 2nd shift (my prime hours)- well, that might not be too bad.

But, again, 67 y/o - ye gads - why, at this age, twist oneself into a pretzel? I doubt money issues are really all that concerning here - more of a "would like to do" rather than a "must do."
was badly transmitted.

Mea culpa. Let me try again.

The points I had hoped to convey were:

1. Working third shift isn't healthy for many.
2. WHY - do anything you don't have to do at this point in life? She's paid her dues.

Being "old" isn't relevant to either of the above.

Of course, if wife WANTS to actually work a third shift job and on weekends, she is probably quite capable of doing it. I worked until 67-1/2, and could have worked many years past that age had my job not been "eliminated."

But, WHY would wife inconvenience herself to that extent if she doesn't "have to." And, I don't think she really "has to." Like I said:
Quote:
I doubt money issues are really all that concerning here - more of a "would like to do" rather than a "must do."
Last, of course Sanders, Clinton, Kerry are great examples - ALL of whom are doing what THEY LOVE.

Seriously doubt wife is going to be "loving" working third shift or on weekends - at least not from what hubby is saying.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:54 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,420,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Respectfully, it depends. IMHO, a politician in his/her 70s is viable: it's not about keeping up with the pace of cranking out pages of rules, balance sheets, general ledgers, what-not. It is very much about the metadata - HOW they know what they know. A little-known fact: politicians do a negligible amount of what employees in OP's wife's position call "work". They are paid for how they came about the know-how they have. The metadata, if you will.

Keeping up with a 20-30 year old on the cranking out part of a job (whether it be spreadsheets, a 4000 page health care bill, whatever) is a fool's errand. What you DO get paid for is your acumen with the sniff test - being able to tell whether or not a situation looks right, feels right and tastes right. I do not now know, nor have I EVER known, a single 20-30 year old who has a prayer of doing that well.

I say this as a former member of the 20-30 yo super-cranker cohort, who has grown older and considerably more astute.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,512,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Seriously doubt wife is going to be "loving" working third shift or on weekends - at least not from what hubby is saying.
Wife loves weekend boating and partying. Nothing wrong with that other than it restricts her already severely limited job options.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:25 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,103,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I don't get that one either.

I did want to point out that my pain management clinic doctor told me that any time there is trauma to a part of the body there will be arthritis at that part, given time. This is why I'm contemplating moving to a warmer climate. The accident in my twenties, which I thought only hurt my car, did damage to my neck. Of course, since people are invincible when they are young, it wasn't even noticed until I had problems with the new accident when I had tests for my back. They checked out my neck at the same time.

Weird, both times the person ran a stop sign or red light.

Anyway, my point is that you are more prone to arthritis at these spots.

I have to agree with what I enhanced in bold. I have had numerous accidents over the years, a few bad car accidents and a really bad snowmobile accident when I was thrown from the sled, did a few somersaults and landed flat on my back on the ice. That was 1975. It doesn't get better; but for me, I got used to it and take meds for pain. I also spent a lot of time with an excellent chiropractor. And ice was my best friend for a while.

I've got plenty of arthritis. From neck to tippy toes.

I like the old saying, "if I only knew I was going to get this old, I would have taken better care of myself."

Humor helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement