Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The BA degree is not a problem. In fact being in Business/Accounting is probably a lot better than most. Accounting is in demand and women seem to be doing quite well in the field..
When I hired having a degree was a screening tool. If you did not have one you probably would not be invited in for an interview. But if your experience fit what the job needed you would probably get a phone interview and an invitation to come into the office. What employers what is someone that can do the job and has good work experience. At 67 a degree will probably not be important at all. It is the skills she has. Yes what she learned could be outdated in some areas due to the computer but she should have picked up these skill in her work life. Accounting rules also change as laws changes and the AICPA comes out with new procedures. Assuming she is in accounting did she keep up with the changes that affected her job?
You mentioned mistakes. I do not think customers would like errors in their accounts and I can not see a bank keeping someone of any age that is making serious mistakes.
Age is against her as a new employer is probably looking for someone that will be with then for years and able to grow with the company. With a 3 year time frame I think she would have to look at part time work. Probably through a temporary agency.

"having a degree is a screening tool" Which is what I have been saying for years. Degrees don't guarantee you a job. However, without one, you will not even be interviewed for the job.

A BA is necessary for any white collar job. Period.

In terms of the OP's wife, I feel that age discrimination is at play. The problem is, it is extremely difficult to prove. The other problem is that once a supervisor makes a judgement call such as this and begins to build a case against an employee, the outcome is usually termination.

In all honesty, mistakes and accounting do not not go hand and hand. As people age, memory can become an issue. People work more slowly, and and do become somewhat forgetful.
That's just a fact of life.

Being under the scrutiny of a critical boss who seems to want to get rid of her, can only increase her anxiety and stress, thus decreasing her job performance.

Perhaps working in a less stressful environment with a slower pace, would be something that she should consider. In each of these fields, age can be a plus.

Here are a few ideas - Tax preparation. Working independently or for a company. If she has the needed certifications for this, it could work. She could work at her own pace (with in reason) and I'd personally prefer a mature person for this position.

instructor at a business college or technical school that teaches accounting and business. The students in schools such as these tend to be mature and motivated. Class room management will not be an issue, and her age and experience will be valued.

Real Estate or mortgage broker. Since I noticed that you live in Florida, there are many mature people who relocate there, and many would prefer an older Realtor to one who is younger and of another generation.

I think your wife should start to prepare for the inevitable. I wish her the best of luck what ever she decides to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:56 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
My question is - after your wife got the accounting degree - did she actually work in the accounting field? You don't mention that she has any job experience as an accountant so I'm assuming no. Accounting is a good profession for folks into their 70's, but once they reach 60 they really need to have a lot of years of recent accounting working experience for employers to be willing to hire them.

If your wife got an accounting degree almost 20 years ago and doesn't have any actual on-the-job accounting experience, then the degree is worthless. Not because the basics of accounting change, but because the technology and the rules of the profession have changed, dramatically. The accounting software that was in use back in 1997 is a lot different from what is being used now; heck back in 1997 people were barely using email and now probably 80% of business communication is email.

If your wife never worked in the field and has no experience, then she would be competing for accounting jobs against new college grads, and likely would be coming up short both in terms of how out-dated her accounting knowledge is and in terms of her ability to learn computer programs and adapt to using technology. And no, at her age, I would not recommend the CPA path, it would probably take at least 3 years, cost a lot of money and would not improve her job prospects.

Last edited by patches403; 09-03-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 10:56 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife got her Bachelor's Degree (Business/Accounting) in 1997 and she is 67 years old. She's been working in the Banking/Mortgage industry since Nov 2011, but may lose her job next week due to "job performance". She has been with this bank since Nov 2011. Anyway, two months ago, she was written up by her supervisor for "job performance" and given 60 days to improve it. This "Write Up" was approved by the Dept. VP who is over the supervisor. Anyway, she has been trying very hard to improve, but thinks her 35 yr. old supervisor just wants her gone due to her age/memory/mistakes.
So, she had essentially acknowledged that there was a problem? If the company makes the decision to release her, she should ask for the reason for release and possibly negotiate a better term to be used on her pink slip. You don't want it to say "poor job performance", better to say "voluntary exit", you know what I mean? As far as the degree, it's not going to be as much of a factor as age, but you're in Florida, I would think Florida employers are more open to the older worker, depending on the job. Good Luck!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:04 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
If you're a young pup, since that person has limited job experience, the degree can help. But after that, its all job experience. That job counselor didn't know what they are talking about. Your wife may have to scale back her expectations. In reality, any job will provide income, and then she can collect SS at 70. Or she can take it now, and then work something part time. Worrying about how much SS you'll get in 20 years really doesn't make much sense. There's no way to know if she'll even get close to living that long.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Degrees do become outdated in a sense, as do job skills. That is why in many fields ( in particular, those requiring state licenses or certification)require continuing education to keep up with current knowledge and skills in those fields. I'd also expect banking professionals to be required to take seminars, courses, to update their knowledge to keep up with changes in the financial and marketing industry.

Which makes me wonder if the OP doesn't have some justification in thinking perhaps there is some age discrimination in her case. Telling an employee their "degree is out of date" instead of making available, or at least requiring continuing education for that employee just doesn't seem like a viable complaint against that employee.

And seems to me that citing her for unsatisfactory or low performance, if the manager cannot point out specific documented examples of such performances, is pretty sketchy too. If someone is to be let go for cause, I thought Fair Labor Standards laws required such a paper trail to fire someone.

Even so, if they're eliminating her job altogether, or she can be let go with no cause, not sure what she could so about that. Except to see if they replace her with a younger version of herself after they let her go.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:53 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
I'm NOT pressuring her to continue working! Actually, I told her "I'm with you totally in whatever happens and whatever YOUR decision is." We discussed it and she is the one that wants to continue working and I support her for her feelings. It may not turn out that way, that she can work a full-time job again, but that is what she'd like to continue doing.

As far as my rotator cuff surgery, this is my second one (left shoulder). I've also had one on my right shoulder. I've also had a hip replacement, so I can't stand around/walk around for any length of time before it starts getting painful. And, back in 1988, I had ankle surgery where I have a plate and three screws. Can't stand on that ankle too long anymore........arthritis has set in. Wife completely understands that the only type of job I could do is a desk job somewhere, but I have the "age" thing going against me as well being 66.
See, I got you to open up more about the situation! Doesn't that feel better?

Old 09-03-2015, 12:28 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
I don't know what type of mistakes she is making at work, but she is a devoted employee. Of course, being her husband, that's the way I see her. She did tell me the other night, "perhaps I'm just getting tired of working there".

If they do let her go, in order to get UI, she has to verbally prove that they were wrong in letting her go......right? From what I know, the only guaranteed way to get UI is to be laid-off.
What does "a devoted employee" have to do with anything? If you're not competent at your job, you get put on a get-well plan. If you fail to improve, you get marched out the door. I've made hiring mistakes where I did a reference check and got a glowing report that they were a "hard worker". They show up and work hard but completely suck at their job. Sure, they're putting in long hours and look busy but their output is awful and somebody else has to watch what they do like a hawk so they don't screw anything up. I neglected to ask "Are they competent?" That's now the first thing out of my mouth on a reference check.

If I hire someone who can't do the job, it's mostly my fault. After I figure out that I've made a hiring mistake, I try to park them somewhere out of harms way and coach them to go look for another job where they can be more successful. Usually, they hear me loud & clear and find another job within 90 days. Occasionally, they don't heed that advice and get laid off.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:30 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
In "red" below: This is pretty much what has happened to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
There is a difference between letting someone go because of their age, and letting someone go because at their age they are no longer capable of performing their duties competently. Employers don't feel the need to make any kind of concessions for older workers who can't keep up.

I hate to say it but I see this in myself and some of my older co-workers. It gets harder to do any kind of lifting, harder to learn and remember all the new new equipment and new software and new programs (and it seems like there is something new to learn every week!). Often the other employees are asked to 'help' the struggling employees, which places an additional burden on them.
At some point it's just not productive to keep the employee that needs more and more help from others to make sure their job is done properly and it only makes sense to let them go. I'm sure I won't be happy when it happens to me, but I will understand why.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:34 PM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
Perhaps your wife can consider part-time work or work that is less dependent on detail. Working with numbers -- particularly financial numbers -- requires absolute, 100% accuracy. Maybe now is the time for her to look for other opportunities, in other fields.

I hate to pile on, but I have to agree with the others -- it's not the B.A., it's the A.G.E. I received my BA in 1982 and am still working. Doing very well, for which I am extremely grateful. But I know there will be a time when I'll have to call it quits, too.

All the best to you!

Last edited by austindoxie1972; 09-03-2015 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-03-2015, 12:44 PM

185 posts, read 196,142 times
At least call the EEOC and see if they can help.. they can't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement