Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I wish I'd have bought Apple stock years ago, when they were on the skids.
So funny, I've often said that is my one and only regret in life!
In the mid-1980s, I decided to buy 100 shares at $10-$12. I let the opportunity slip due to the hassle of working with a stockbroker combined with the distractions of daily living.
I have no excuse at all for missing the $7 shares in the first part of this century.

I've made many mistakes in life but they all led to me and mine being where we are now, and that's a darn good place.
But if I had only bought those 100 shares of Apple back when I intended to, I'd be $300k richer right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 12:27 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Oh I made mistakes. I did what other people wanted me to do. That is not unfolding. And my heart was never in it.
That's what I did, and it was a big mistake. Really, it was many mistakes.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:13 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
I would have been a more forceful personality

Old 09-05-2015, 09:47 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
At 55 I am very content in where my journeys in life have taken me and I have no regrets......any regrets I have I call learning experiences.

If there could be one thing I would say is I wish I had savored both the good and bad times of my life a little longer.

I think most people as they get older reflect back on those simple moments in their lives that will bring a tear to your eye or a smile and chuckle to your face.

I have a million of these Kodak memory moments and most of these have been simple traveling experiences or times with family and friends.

Time is a four letter word (profanity in my book)..................enjoy it good or bad because at the end of every day it is gone

Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
At 55 I am very content in where my journeys in life have taken me and I have no regrets......any regrets I have I call learning experiences.

If there could be one thing I would say is I wish I had savored both the good and bad times of my life a little longer.

I think most people as they get older reflect back on those simple moments in their lives that will bring a tear to your eye or a smile and chuckle to your face.

I have a million of these Kodak memory moments and most of these have been simple traveling experiences or times with family and friends.

Time is a four letter word (profanity in my book)..................enjoy it good or bad because at the end of every day it is gone
I like what you wrote. You are so very right about time...... once it's gone, it's gone.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:16 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Funny that this topic should be on top of the board today. I was just thinking this morning that if I'd been smart I would've paid attention to the cold feet I had on the day of my first wedding. Never should have married or even been with that person. So lesson learned, "listen to your gut".

Old 09-05-2015, 10:42 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Everyone has had their crosses to bear....................me as I lie there in bed approaching the end of my life and gumming my pudding that some young 20 something is letting dribble all over me while he or she is texting or face timing I am sure as hell not going to be reflecting on any misfortunes I might have encountered during my life.................I am going to be thinking of first crush, first kiss, first love, first birth, first drink and so on.

To me having regrets at the last stages of my life would bring me much sadness.......my mistakes were learning experiences that moved me forward to better times.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:15 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I would have never returned to NY after living in DC for 3 years in my early 20s. That would mean I would never have met my husband and would not have gotten married and met my friends...but, I wouldn't know it, right?

Old 09-05-2015, 11:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Funny that this topic should be on top of the board today. I was just thinking this morning that if I'd been smart I would've paid attention to the cold feet I had on the day of my first wedding. Never should have married or even been with that person. So lesson learned, "listen to your gut".
The night before my wedding, at age 19, I tried to call it off. I told him we were just not meant to be, we were too different, me organized and needing structure and direction and him a free spirit with his head in the clouds. As I was declaring a no go, I was picturing myself an old maid unfit for anyone else, and someone who cared for me was the best I could do. (It was my personality that made me worry the most though.) We went through with it the next day, family and friends hugging us outside the cathedral.

Almost half a century later, we're still not terrifically compatible but in the strangest way we've been right for each other. I think no one else would be able to understand either of us, and we'd each be divorced in two seconds married to anyone else. Who ever thought there could be a lasting union between a triple Capricorn and a Gemini? We've had our challenging times and several separations, but always willing to go back into the ring with each other and start again. I look at our incredible (to me) children and new grandchildren and I think they must have been the voices whispering in my ear the night before the wedding when I said let's forget it.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

You got that right. As I write this my MIL is dying. I would bet that she, like many of us, is longing for the past even with all its pain and momentary miseries. Death puts everything in perspective. We fear it, but generally don't let the fact of it guide us toward what we really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement