Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 AM

3,756 posts, read 4,075,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen
Oddly enough, I had researched Fayetteville AR last year. Beautiful place. Thought AR might have too high cost of living, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
?? Where did you get that impression? Run a COL comparison between Tyler and Fayetteville using any website calculator and Fayetteville comes out lower every time.
I have to wonder if those COL comparisons take into account state income taxes and property taxes. Arkansas has state income taxes, whereas Texas does not. Property taxes are sky high in Texas.

Check out Charlottesville, Virginia. It should meet your requirements, if you don't mind more snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 10:17 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,221,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If I were to move to some place that had:

1. at least occasional snow...
2. with summers not too hot (no triple digits!)...
3. had great soil and enough rain for great gardening...
4. along with a low cost of living...
5. a good # of medical providers (probably not a small city or town)....

where would that be? Does some place come to mind, that you know of?

Everything except "occasional snow" would be covered by any of the picturesque college towns in Ohio.

We enjoy more than occasional snow. However, the cost of living is dirt cheap - so we travel way more than we ever did. Many moderate income retired Ohioans have no trouble spending the worst months - Jan. and Feb. Someplace warm. December is a "light snow" month. The Fall is really beautiful. - Good time to check us out.

Summer is mild. Gardening culture is popular. We live 50 minutes from the renowned Cleveland Clinic. The area looks like New England - with out the price tag.

Personally, I could never spend the late Spring, Summer and Fall in a hot climate.

We are close enough to drive to many interesting places - the mountains of upstate NY and Western PA, Nashville, Memphis, Ashville, many lakes, and beautiful state parks, wineries and antique shops.

Last edited by warren zee; 09-05-2015 at 11:39 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 11:43 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,232,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
However, the cost of living is dirt cheap
How can the cost of living in Ohio be dirt cheap when their real estate taxes and sales taxes are sky high?

Old 09-05-2015, 12:28 PM

24,541 posts, read 18,118,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
How can the cost of living in Ohio be dirt cheap when their real estate taxes and sales taxes are sky high?
If you're living in a $70,000 house in the rust belt that would be $300,000 somewhere else, who cares what the property tax rate is?

The Ohio state sales tax rate isn't awful. 5.75% and they don't tax food. It's Cuyahoga County with a huge local sales tax piled on top that jacks it to 8% that are brutal. There are 4 counties with a 6.5% sales tax rate. That isn't out of line with most places in the country.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:35 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,332,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Am looking for the same as you. Am seriously considering Fayetteville, AR. Not great medical care, but I think enough.

My father lives in Bella Vista. He has a very rare blood disease and I think Bentanville or Fayetteville has great doctors. Better than either tulsa or OKLAHOMA city. There must be a hospital on every corner in that area!!

Old 09-05-2015, 04:37 PM

22,007 posts, read 19,112,807 times
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Old 09-05-2015, 04:52 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,332,383 times
Give me the choice and I'd be in Santa Fe tomorrow.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:58 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,409,840 times
Somewhere in the east might be good. As far north as coastal Connecticut and Rhode Island and as far down as North Carolina. Could also do lower Midwest like southern Indiana, southern Illinois, southern Missouri.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:26 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If I were to move to some place that had:

1. at least occasional snow...
2. with summers not too hot (no triple digits!)...
3. had great soil and enough rain for great gardening...
4. along with a low cost of living...
5. a good # of medical providers (probably not a small city or town)....

where would that be? Does some place come to mind, that you know of?
The Pittsburgh area is at the top of the list. You actually describe it in your criteria. Not only is it the best city in the US, but it now gets WORLD recognition. Different level.

Pittsburgh Named One Of The Most Livable Cities In The World « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 09-05-2015, 09:10 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,232,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The Pittsburgh area is at the top of the list. You actually describe it in your criteria. Not only is it the best city in the US, but it now gets WORLD recognition. Different level.

Pittsburgh Named One Of The Most Livable Cities In The World « CBS Pittsburgh
Is it such a wonderful place that even the mosquitoes want to live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement