Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:48 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,256,024 times

Advertisements

Mosquitoes want to live everywhere. They like our blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 05:01 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,232,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Mosquitoes want to live everywhere. They like our blood.
But more in Pittsburgh than Albuquerque, right? Not that the people in Pittsburgh have more blood, nor thinner skin. Just something about the climate that makes it more hospitable to mosquitoes. I think. But is it really true? Does Albuquerque really have fewer mosquitoes than Pittsburgh?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:15 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
OP wants to be East TX or La.

Seems pretty H-O-T to me.

yes I visited new Orleans and upper La once and boy was it steamy and muggy . Texas is a dry heat and I thought it was muggy and steamy as well . so I agree hot as well . I think Carolinas would suit her . after living in florida south Carolina is a picnic in the way of weather to me .

Old 09-06-2015, 08:09 AM

1,204 posts, read 870,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I want to know more about the possibility of moving to the Michigan coast of Lake Michigan for retirement, having never been in Michigan before. I have all kinds of concerns about such a move. I've heard you can get lyme disease in Michigan. I don't have any experience with ticks, and don't even know how to look for them. I've heard local real estate taxes tend to be very high there. I'm worried about crime, because Detroit has a reputation of being practically a crime war zone, and it makes logical sense that the crime would spill over into the rest of the state. I'm worried that if I buy an affordable house, it will be too far from a good hospital, because city houses cost a lot more than country houses of the same size and lot size. I'm worried that whatever house I buy there will turn out to be a money pit, and consume 100% of my retirement savings. But I'm not at all worried about snow. That's the one thing I look forward to the most.

Go to the Michigan forum for lots of answers. FYI, Detroit is just a small part of the Detroit Metro area. Many of the surrounding communities of Detroit are some of the most vibrant in the Midwest. Also the Lake Michigan coast is 150 miles away.

Warren Zee mentioned some of the areas in Ohio. The Ashtabula, Geneva area is very New England like but is somewhat depressed due to loss of steel making etc., many years ago. Beautiful area, short drive to the burbs of Cleveland, well worth considering.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:12 AM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Go to the Michigan forum for lots of answers. FYI, Detroit is just a small part of the Detroit Metro area. Many of the surrounding communities of Detroit are some of the most vibrant in the Midwest. Also the Lake Michigan coast is 150 miles away.

Warren Zee mentioned some of the areas in Ohio. The Ashtabula, Geneva area is very New England like but is somewhat depressed due to loss of steel making etc., many years ago. Beautiful area, short drive to the burbs of Cleveland, well worth considering.

For health care, I do not think that you can do much better than Grand Rapids in Western Michigan or the Detroit Suburbs. Both areas have large, well funded research hospitals in the vicinity.

As for the Ashtabula area, now you are talking some serious snow. I would either move inland or westward to avoid living in the snowbelt where a foot of snow is NOT an uncommon occurrence. (Yes, I commuted for one winter from Cleveland to Eire, PA.)

Old 09-06-2015, 10:19 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,372,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
But more in Pittsburgh than Albuquerque, right? Not that the people in Pittsburgh have more blood, nor thinner skin. Just something about the climate that makes it more hospitable to mosquitoes. I think. But is it really true? Does Albuquerque really have fewer mosquitoes than Pittsburgh?
Probably. Unless you live by the river, mosquitoes will be minimal in ABQ. I live by the Rio Grande and this year has been bad for mosquitoes but it has been a wet year. The mosquitoes are still no way near what they were in Louisiana where I grew up. What the OP may not like is having to water and paying the water bill for a garden. Even with a wet summer, my water bill has been $150-250 a month this summer to water a large lawn. Some triple digit or near days but it is a dry heat. And while Cost of Living is reasonable, it may be more than many places in the South or Midwest.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 09-06-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 09-06-2015, 11:09 AM

1,204 posts, read 870,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
For health care, I do not think that you can do much better than Grand Rapids in Western Michigan or the Detroit Suburbs. Both areas have large, well funded research hospitals in the vicinity.

As for the Ashtabula area, now you are talking some serious snow. I would either move inland or westward to avoid living in the snowbelt where a foot of snow is NOT an uncommon occurrence. (Yes, I commuted for one winter from Cleveland to Eire, PA.)
Yep--- to all that you said. I was born Painesville, with many relatives the area. Gotta love that lake effect weather for all its good and bad.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 PM

24,541 posts, read 18,118,486 times
Thinking outside the box, how about the Algarve region of Portugal? Beautiful weather. Beaches. Golf. A crashed property market so housing is reasonable. Good infrastructure and health care. They don't tax retirement income. Tons of Brits vacation and retire there so English works fine. No place in Europe is truly cheap but that's the best you're going to do. You could live pretty well on $50K.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,980,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen
Oddly enough, I had researched Fayetteville AR last year. Beautiful place. Thought AR might have too high cost of living, though.

I have to wonder if those COL comparisons take into account state income taxes and property taxes. Arkansas has state income taxes, whereas Texas does not. Property taxes are sky high in Texas.

Check out Charlottesville, Virginia. It should meet your requirements, if you don't mind more snow.
Before I relocated anywhere I would do my own due diligence to see what taxes the state and/or county had, and which of those taxes would apply or have the greatest impact to my situation. Once I retire my primary concern will be property taxes. Where I live now my property taxes come out to $275/month or about $3300 annually whereas any state income tax will have far less of an impact on my financial life than property taxes. That said, my county does have a program to waive property taxes for seniors who fall under a certain income limit, so that would also be something to take into consideration in relocating.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:21 PM

24,541 posts, read 18,118,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Before I relocated anywhere I would do my own due diligence to see what taxes the state and/or county had, and which of those taxes would apply or have the greatest impact to my situation. Once I retire my primary concern will be property taxes. Where I live now my property taxes come out to $275/month or about $3300 annually whereas any state income tax will have far less of an impact on my financial life than property taxes. That said, my county does have a program to waive property taxes for seniors who fall under a certain income limit, so that would also be something to take into consideration in relocating.
That drove my choice of location and what I was willing to pay for a house. The town I picked has a lot of expensive oceanfront homes and a large mall hell to broaden the tax base so it sets residential taxes at a bit less than 1% of fair market property value. I have 992 square feet and 0.21 acres so I'm never going to be hit very hard. I also wouldn't pick a state that taxes Social Security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement