Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 04:15 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

Two time segments is my habit (varying). If I fall asleep say at 1:30, I'm awake at 5:30. Watch C-Span/news stations/Netflix (depending on which two hours it is) for an hour or two, back to sleep for 2-3 hours, wake between 9:30-11, again catch up on news for an hour, and then get up anywhere between 11-12:00. Pretty much the way I live these days. Not at all productive, but I feel great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
People noises are rare.
Well, if one has to put up with noise (and can't move) - be it sleeping through people, airports, whatever, earplugs solve that problem. Weekdays - even though I'm suburban (sort of) - there can, at times, be enough early morning traffic noise from blocks away (2nd flr br seems to magnify that) that I use them almost daily - green foamy things. Can sleep through anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 05:47 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Mr. Bay and I are chronic night owls and seldom turn off the lights much before 4 am. Even so, I have chronic insomnia. The problem is that I can't get to sleep. Once I do, I'm out cold for the rest of the night, and almost nothing disturbs me (unlike Mr. Bay, a light sleeper who is easily awakened and has trouble getting back to sleep).

I'd say we sleep at least as much as we did when we were working, maybe a little more because both of us occasionally nap. We are city dwellers but are fortunate to live in a secluded neighborhood on a hill with a forested park right across the street. So we sometimes hear city noises such as sirens or cars driving by, but we also hear songbirds, owls, hawks, woodpeckers and the wind rustling through the trees.

When my mother was alive and I visited her in the country, the sound of the crickets on a summer night would keep me awake! I couldn't believe how loud they were.The next morning I complained to her, and she laughed in my face. To her, born and raised on a ranch, that was the funniest thing ever to complain about. But after a day or so, I got used to it.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 09-05-2015 at 05:59 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 06:07 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
My sleep is so varied. I often stay up late 2-3am because there are specials on tv this summer; Robert Seeking, Night Shadows, Alfred Hitchcock, & Boris Karloff. Haven't seen them in years. Don't know if it will last past summer, but will watch as long as they are on. Then I usually sleep until 11:00 or so. If I have to do something the next day, I go to bed at10-11 & wake up at 7-8.

I really enjoy the freedom of this. When I worked I went to bed early & woke up at5:30 every morning, even weekends because my body was used to doing that. I seldom nap but if I've done a lot I tend to.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:17 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
My schedule is completely screwed up and I need to fix it. I stay up all night, go to bed between 6 and 8 AM and up again between 10 AM and noon. I never nap during my up time and feel good. I'm in my 70s.

I forget what day it is with this schedule, I just noticed that this is Saturday and I was going to take my vehicle to a car show at 7 AM.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
It would be nice too be healthy again like in my early 40's before Diabetes which I now don't sleep long at night. At one time I could sleep 8 hour nights without any problems and nows it's like 4 or 5 hours at leaat.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
It's 4 AM now and I've been up since 3...between 3 and 4 is usual. Bedtime is usually between 9 and 10, so 6 hours sounds about right.
It's not unusual, if I sit down to read in the afternoon, to nod off for 15 or 20 minutes.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:55 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
My mom would go to sleep about 7 and wake up about 4. Waking up so early makes one want to hit the hay sooner, I can attest to that. I get up for work about 0445. It's hard to sleep in on weekends.

I covet naps, though rarely get a chance to thanks to my sleep-like-a-log, hyper all day partner. I can usually sleep through his snoring unless I wake up, then it's hard to get back to sleep.

I read a page or two in bed to knock me out.

I'm not 65 yet but sleep is a subject near and dear to my heart. I do better with more sleep!

Old 09-06-2015, 05:35 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Now that I am older, my sleep pattern has changed dramatically, and I hate it. I used to fall asleep instantly when my head hit the pillow and not budge until the alarm went off 8 hours later. But now I rarely sleep more than 5-6 hours, and sometimes I wake up around 3 oclock and it takes a while to fall back asleep.

I also love my little after work nap, usually an hour or so. That has become a part of my daily routine. So I say that the stereotype is correct in my case.

Don

Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Morning all!

My darlin' (hubby) is on the midnight shift three nights a week (36 hours) unless we are touring, so I go on it with him to maximize the amount of time we're able to spend together.

He usually comes home around 6 a.m., does his paperwork, has a glass of wine with some cheese (I can't have alcohol; it doesn't dance well with my meds), and we hit the hay around 7 - 7:30 a.m. Darlin' gets up at 3 p.m. and I usually sleep 'til 4 p.m.

Pain, pavor nocturnis (night panic - or panic attacks that occur while sleeping), and a too-busy mind can alter this schedule for me, and Darlin' has his share of pain too (and restless leg syndrome), but most of the time he gets circa eight hours' a night, and I get eight or nine. (My meds make me tireder than I'd normally be.)

A glass of red wine before bed helps Darlin's restless leg syndrome, so he sleeps better.

When we're touring, we're on a concert schedule and so don't get to bed until somewhere around 2 a.m. We still both sleep for seven or eight hours, waking naturally around ten a.m.

Neither of us naps during the day - unless sick, which doesn't happen often, praise God!

Shalom Aleichem,

Mahrie.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Even though I'm now retired, I still go to be when my wife does between 10 and 11PM and get up at 7AM to see her off to work. There are times, depending on how late/how much sleep we get the night before, we will take a 2-hour nap in the afternoon on the weekends.

I remember, back in my 30's/40's when I could get a really descent night of sleep. Currently, due to my last rotator cuff surgery in March of this year, I'm still getting some pain in the shoulder at night that wakes me up in the middle of the night. I have to go from the bed, to the recliner, get a little sleep w/an ice pack on, wake up and go back to bed. I haven't got a full/good nights sleep since the surgery and knew I won't for a few more months.

For wife and I, our muscles seem to tighten up during the night and that sure doesn't help for sleeping. We are also both Diabetic II and, depending what we eat/drink that evening (like going out for Mexican food and having a margarita), we will be up part of the night with "tingling" pain (me/shoulders, her/top of her feet)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement