Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:50 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,466,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
From Bartleby:
Oscar Wilde even had a good last line while laying on his deathbed - "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do".

Humor is a great survival tool at any age!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 05:23 AM

20,058 posts, read 18,269,932 times
I think we all got those lines from our elders: "Just you wait until you get old! Yada...yada...yada...WILL happen to you, too!"

So, do you remember what you said and thought about a statement? I'm sure it was much like what I thought: NOTHING. Young people tend to live in the moment of life. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes that's bad.

Should we tell them all of the awful things to look forward to? I'm not so sure. It's really catch 22.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,534,580 times
Even if it was being taught I wasn't trying to hear it. Back in the day, I wasn't worried about old people, their problems or how it was going to be for me on this path. I got my own sh*t to do and it sure didn't involve any "oldster" junk.

Now i'm older I can see what i'm going through. I had to go through it so I could see, feel and gain the experience though. My path isn't the same as the ones that came before me, although it does follow the same general direction. I would never preach to younger kids "this is what's gonna happen to you...blahblahblah".....I didn't want "my time" ruined by some forboding ass old people's predictions about me, and I wouldn't want to rain on anyone else's parade either.

If i'm asked, I give my experience and move on, following it up with the disclaimer that your results may vary.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:49 AM

10,825 posts, read 14,904,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Because when we were young we were foolish and invincible
Exactly.

And what's the point of traumatizing the young of things to come? Let children be children, don't scare them half to death.

When I was 18 I could not imagine getting old and I guess I thought I would be 20 forever.

Now I just wonder "where did it all go?"

Old 09-08-2015, 11:46 AM

28,631 posts, read 18,694,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
50 to 60 has been the first significant downturn for me and I am only 2/3 through it. Mostly joint problems. I am not sure I would have changed anything if I had a warning. I sort of did have a warning as it is inherited.
Tart cherry extract. I'm not big on homeopathic medicines, but I tried this and it was amazing. I had been taking the basic prescribed pain relievers like ibuprophen and Naproxen with "meh" results. But I started taking one 1200mg tart cherry extract capsule morning and evening and the pain was gone by the second day. I've tested skipping it a couple of times, letting the pain return, and then restarting. It works.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:47 AM

28,631 posts, read 18,694,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Exactly.

And what's the point of traumatizing the young of things to come? Let children be children, don't scare them half to death.

When I was 18 I could not imagine getting old and I guess I thought I would be 20 forever.

Now I just wonder "where did it all go?"
Fortunately, old age doesn't just leap on you one morning...you can usually feel it coming.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,351,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
After all, it will happen to them eventually, unless they die young.

Although I remember being given books and quite a bit of instruction about puberty, adolescence, and general health, the whole topic of what happens when your body is on the downward arc was a grim mystery.

I feel that it would make sense to educate young people about what they can expect on that "arc." Maybe they would take better care of themselves, and maybe they would be less inclined to view Old people as a separate, inferior species.

Just my $.02 for today.
In some other cultures it is tribal knowledge. But our American culture does not want to look at aging and death. It is due to our history. There is always a new frontier, another opportunity for a re-do (... until THERE IS NOT!).

Old 09-08-2015, 02:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,466,519 times
Young people aren't taught about aging is because anyone deemed "old" is irrelevant. How many times have you heard about the "18-49" demographic market and what their thoughts and needs are? The day I turned 50, I did not start doing Claude Rain's Invisible Man impressions. My thoughts and desires still deserve attention by the rest of the world and I continue to let the world know it!

So much of our consumer-driven society is obsessed with the youth market. I remember when Toyota started Scion to capture a more "youthful" car buyer. Well, it turned out most of their sales were to people over 50. Something inexpensive, with a practical side that was reliable, appeals to older people just as much as a newly-graduated Millennial.

It's also nice to know that those 50+ folks have a lot more money than the coveted 18-49 crowd. I don't have to stretch payments for a iPhone 6S+. But now, I have the wisdom and practicality to buy a Microsoft Lumia 640 for $99 and sign up for Walmart Family plan for $24.88 a month. It's better to have some money and be sensible about spending it, which is a lesson that many in the 18-49 age group have yet to master!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:53 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,573,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

You have complete control over what you leave undone. What if, instead of dying tonight, you are given many years to think about what you wish you had done?
No wishing for me. I go out there and do everything I can every day. Never know what could happen....be dead tomorrow....be a vegetable.....only be able move my head....be broke...might as well live every day like it's your last.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 PM

84 posts, read 70,471 times
Let them have their youth and acne prone skin while it lasts. Ow my shoulder..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement