Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 04:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Why is anyone in any convertible pathetic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 01:05 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Those here old enough may remember a Playboy magazine interview with then President Jimmy Carter who admitted that he had committed adultery in his heart many times by looking at women with lust.

Along those same lines, most of us who have not had a mid-life crises as evidenced by us taking specific actions to bring one about have, I'm sure, had many minds-eye midlife crisis that can also be best described as lucid dreams or wishful thinking.

Do these count?
We are all guilty of thought-crime.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
A mid-life divorce can often be a sign of learned wisdom, not a mid-life crisis.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:41 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
A mid-life divorce can often be a sign of learned wisdom, not a mid-life crisis.
Largely depends on the circumstances. If it's taken a decade or something and you've been unhappy the entire time, that's different.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:34 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
No, but my neighbors might think I did. I bought a convertible sports car (an old one) three years ago because:

1 - I had wanted a summertime fun car for years/decades and my wife had always supported me in this desire.
2 - We were at the point financially where owning a summer fun car was not detrimental to us.

I bought an old sports car specifically because I was 57 at the time. An old guy in an old convertible is slightly less pathetic than an old guy in a new convertible, at least in my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why is anyone in any convertible pathetic?
Stan I am with you. If you don't like convertibles than you will have that opinion. If you see a senior gentleman in a brand new BMW Z4 I would not say he was pathetic. I would say he is a lucky dog and I am so envious. If I saw a senior gentleman in a ratty old Mazda Miata I might feel bad for him that he could not get a newer one but again I would never say he was pathetic.

A person's choice in cars is personal but everyone wants to drive something they feel comfortable in. They want to look good doing so (for the most part).

I am well on my way to getting my BMW Z4. It may not be a 2017 model but it could be a lightly used 2016 in a year or so but I will be that 60 year old man driving around with the top down on any day that the sun is shining. To top that off, I won't care if MI-Roger is liking it or not. I will wave though with a smile on my face.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:33 PM

249 posts, read 266,913 times
In my senior family the play car of choice is the Porsche Cabriolet, think we'll keep it into our eighties.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:50 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
The way I look at it is; we put in our time and deserve whatever we can afford-the heck with what the neighbors think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement