Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:23 AM

16,368 posts, read 30,108,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I was talking with a woman whose son is attending Syracuse University. I have not seen the numbers myself, so what I heard is 2nd hand info and I do not know how truthful it is. But she told me for one year at SU the tuition was $68,000 ---- how the heck can they charge that much? And what is all that money for?

It spells just one word to me.....GREED

That is the LIST price. How many people are ACTUALLY paying anything close to that price? Most schools advertise that nearly 80% of their students receive some form of financial aid. The only class of students that tend to pay the full price are international students although I would doubt that there is not some form of negotiation.

Many years ago, I filled out two lists of colleges. Colleges that I wanted to attend and colleges that I could afford to attend. Those were two completely different lists.

There are many state universities out there that can be had for a fraction of the cost of a year at Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,111,490 times
Quote:
I was talking with a woman whose son is attending Syracuse University. I have not seen the numbers myself, so what I heard is 2nd hand info and I do not know how truthful it is. But she told me for one year at SU the tuition was $68,000 ---- how the heck can they charge that much? And what is all that money for?

Interesting....I went there from '56-60. I will not even say what costs were then, I do not wish to prompt a suicide. I have to echo the above question: What is all that money for?

Old 09-09-2015, 03:51 AM

11,154 posts, read 15,933,846 times
Quote:

Oh, if only there was a way to quickly ascertain factual information on the Internet. I bet someone could make a fortune if they developed a search engine to perform that function!

BTW, the one-year cost of tuition for the 2014-2015 year was $40,380, not $68,000.

Syracuse University raises tuition, fees, room and board for 2014-15 | syracuse.com

Old 09-09-2015, 04:05 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,111,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Oh, if only there was a way to quickly ascertain factual information on the Internet. I bet someone could make a fortune if they developed a search engine to perform that function!

BTW, the one-year cost of tuition for the 2014-2015 year was $40,380, not $68,000.

Syracuse University raises tuition, fees, room and board for 2014-15 | syracuse.com
With meals and room adding above $5,000 to about $10,000 depending on your choices.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,442,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
I agree, however you do realize college tuition is not attainable on today's entry level wages? The costs are like 600% higher than when previous generations attended school.
This is what happens when the government gets into the business of 'guaranteeing' student loans. Anything the government gets its greasy fingers into, turns to crap. Before you say, "Oh, noooo", read the quote above.

Even higher education is now admitting that tuition fees are higher because of government guartanteed student loans. If the money is there, they will take it. Just human nature. Now our young people are paying the price, carrying the burden. So OK, you kids were screwed. Hopefully, the next generation won't be.

Meanwhile, don't blame seniors for being "hypocritical". We didn't have anything to do with the government taking over school loans! We paid our own way, and paid for our children. In my case, I'm paying half-way for all 6 of my grandkids. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is.

The OP needs to learn to do research and employ critical thinking. If he can't do that at the age of 39, oh well.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,010,453 times
Quote:
I noticed as I get older, (I'm 39) I tend to pass judgment on younger folks for some of the very same things I did when I was their age. Though now, I know better, I realize that the knowledge I have now derived only through wisdom and age.

I also find myself subconsciously dismissing younger peoples opinions because they're so young, even though I specifically remember being frustrated with not being taken seriously by older generations when I was that age.

That said, I notice a lot of folks in the retirement community do not want their tax dollars spent on various educational or social programs even though they and their children benefited from the same sort of programs growing up.

Take for instance, vocational programs in high schools, many of which have disappeared all together along with funding for sports and various extracurricular activities. I realize inflation has made the costs associated with these things more expensive, but is there a general trend to take what you can, and let the latter generations fend for themselves?

I have two boys in high school that participate in more than one sport. Their mother and I spend roughly $600/yr out-of-pocket for their respective programs. When I played sports in school, my parents didn't have to fork over a dime. Next, the cost of college is astronomical compared to just when I attended college and I'm dreading the upcoming expense. Are the older generations generally unaware of the burden the younger generations face or just apathetic to it?
Its easier to pass judgement on younger folks than same age or slighly older/slightly younger folks ( Guess Who )

Old 09-09-2015, 09:52 AM

837 posts, read 2,326,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is what happens when the government gets into the business of 'guaranteeing' student loans. Anything the government gets its greasy fingers into, turns to crap. Before you say, "Oh, noooo", read the quote above.

Even higher education is now admitting that tuition fees are higher because of government guartanteed student loans. If the money is there, they will take it. Just human nature. Now our young people are paying the price, carrying the burden. So OK, you kids were screwed. Hopefully, the next generation won't be.

Meanwhile, don't blame seniors for being "hypocritical". We didn't have anything to do with the government taking over school loans! We paid our own way, and paid for our children. In my case, I'm paying half-way for all 6 of my grandkids. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is.

The OP needs to learn to do research and employ critical thinking. If he can't do that at the age of 39, oh well.

What a one dimensional simplistic approach to the problem, Geez, why didn't I think of that! So if I understand your logic correctly, the younger generation should just get over it, and hope for the best for the next?
Do you tell people to get off your lawn much?

Further, I'm not blaming seniors for anything. I simply asked a legitimate question based on my own thought processes. I assure you my approach is sincere. I'm not looking to start a generational debate, just looking for insight from folks who clearly have immeasurable insight to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Its easier to pass judgement on younger folks than same age or slighly older/slightly younger folks ( Guess Who )
I have to "check myself" often when I find myself passing judgment on young kids because I can vividly remember doing the same crap. It just surprised me how easy it can be to be hypocritical.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:12 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,651,409 times
I had to look up "hypocritical". I still don't understand the question.

But I will say this: Yes. May be a generation will have to quit thinking that a college education is the only way to make it. May be they will start learning a trade or working two jobs or finding a niche that needs filling and set about learning the skills or creating a product to fill it. The world will change but it won't end.

Then they can tell their own stories about how it was back when they were young and starting out, and it won't start with "we had just graduated from college, were $100,000 in debt, and couldn't find a job with the degree we bought".

Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,916,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is the LIST price. How many people are ACTUALLY paying anything close to that price?
A quick google search provides all the pertinent numbers for Syracuse University

https://www.cappex.com/colleges/Syra...tion-and-costs
Quote:
$55,872
ANNUAL COST TO ATTEND
COST BREAKDOWN
$38,970 tuition
$14,054 on campus room & board
$1,360 books and supplies
$1,488 fees
(Based on stats from 2013/2014)

$24,228 ANNUAL INSTITUTIONAL AID
AVERAGE AID
74% of students receive aid
27% get federal aid ($5,102 avg)
18% get state aid ($3,243 avg)
69% get institn'l aid ($24,228 avg)
58% get loans ($8,684 avg)
The numbers clearly show that the 'average' Syracuse University student pays less than the 'LIST' price.

Many college students which I know choose to attend local community college for the first 2 years then transfer to an in-state university which cost significantly less than private institutions like S.U.

Prestigious private colleges usually have hefty endowment funds and there are many financial aids and scholarships to students.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,347,360 times
Quote:
I agree, however you do realize college tuition is not attainable on today's entry level wages? The costs are like 600% higher than when previous generations attended school.
While I agree that there is a greater focus on material items, those like myself (Gen X'er) are not hyper-focused on owning stuff. We're just trying to give our kids what our parents provided for us and its getting increasingly more difficult to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Go ahead and inflation-adjust the tuition you paid. My first degree was in English Literature (a respectable degree then because companies cared more that you had a degree than they cared what it was actually IN, with the exception of specialty employment like engineering). It cost the inflation-adjusted sum of $2,400 for a 4 year degree. My last graduate degree, which I went back for in the late 90s, was closer to $28,000 and that was because I had teaching stipends. If I went back now that degree would be almost $45,000.

When I was 18 or so, I never lacked for a job because they were EASY to get. Although I had no technical training, computers were just coming in to the workplace and I found them relatively easy to decipher. So I'd take a job, spend a month or so learning the (usually completely unique) system, spend 6 months or so getting really good at it and then leave at around a year or so later because I was bored stiff. I don't think I spent more than a week or so looking for new jobs.

That is not an option now. Finding a job with relatively few qualifications is tough and any job you do get is likely to be part-time and not pay a wage that afford you the same (admittedly tiny) solo apartment my jobs paid for. The part-time, lousy pay thing for what was full-time clerical and and semi-blue-collar is relatively recent, as is the "on-demand" scheduling, where you don't necessarily even work hours for a week, you are simply told that you must be available certain hours in case your employer needs you and calls you to come in.

The "spring break" thing started long ago - as early as the 1940s or 1950s in Florida and was in full swing by the late 70s/early 80s.

Pull off those "get off my lawn" spectacles and actually LOOK at what the latest generation is going through, preferably with a bit more sympathy and empathy. I would pay money NOT to be 18 again, mostly because of the world that older generations (myself included) created.
Quote:
I totally agree PNW. Right now I have nearly $160,000 in student loan debt from undergrad and law school. It's pretty difficult to get ahead when starting out in the hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
What tuition is and what people pay are completely different. Most universities are pretty free with partial scholarships and they are not all need based. A poor student from a wealthy family pays full fare but few others do. My son has a 50% tuition scholarship at a private college that brings it in line with state schools (maybe; he would probably qualify for something there also). Here in NC, if your child lives at home and goes to a state school the cost is only about $8k/year with no scholarship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
A quick google search provides all the pertinent numbers for Syracuse University

https://www.cappex.com/colleges/Syra...tion-and-costs

The numbers clearly show that the 'average' Syracuse University student pays less than the 'LIST' price.

Many college students which I know choose to attend local community college for the first 2 years then transfer to an in-state university which cost significantly less than private institutions like S.U.

Prestigious private colleges usually have hefty endowment funds and there are many financial aids and scholarships to students.
But the subject is thought processes common with age, not university costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement