Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 06:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
'd also like to know the answer to this question. I mean, I spent 4 1/2 years waiting to get approved for disability and in that time, without being able to work, I lived on $200 a month of state disability and $197 worth of food stamps. So come on, Petch, could you do that and if you think $6000 a year is still too much money to qualify for an EBT card, then what in your opinion is not enough?
I think Petch would believe people who make $1200, $1500, $2000 or more a month should qualify for benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 06:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There have been times when I worked two jobs so that my landlord could work zero jobs - he didn't work but he sure ate.
And as an owner of two rental units, I will say it is great! But I still work.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:48 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
our real estate incomes have exceeded our salary's the last 15 years right up until we retired . but we both always worked .

Old 11-26-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
our real estate incomes have exceeded our salary's the last 15 years right up until we retired . but we both always worked .
Yeah, but that doesn't matter. Apparently, the poor are still living better than you.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:42 AM

i doubt that and i never said such a thing . i said many low income people actually live on that low of an income . in many areas they can actually do better than some higher income earners because of things they may get that make a big difference in cash flow like medicaid for health insurance , tax credits , snap , etc . .
like i said it takes 250k in savings to generate enough to pay our healthcare insurance .

a retired couple on medicaid needs 250k less in savings than someone who qualifies for no subsidy . that is just a fact but it does not mean that person on medicaid is living a better life . . it just means they don't need as much saved to reach the same starting point after a major expense like healthcare is calculated . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-26-2017 at 05:01 AM..

Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
i doubt that and i never said such a thing . i said many low income people actually live on that low of an income . in many areas they can actually do better than some higher income earners because of things they may get that make a big difference in cash flow like medicaid for health insurance , tax credits , snap , etc . .
like i said it takes 250k in savings to generate enough to pay our healthcare insurance .

a retired couple on medicaid needs 250k less in savings than someone who qualifies for no subsidy . that is just a fact but it does not mean that person on medicaid is living a better life . . it just means they don't need as much saved to reach the same starting point after a major expense like healthcare is calculated . .
No, no, no. A person with $250k in assets is not eating food bank food. You seem to be fixated on healthcare. Free Medicaid isn't the same as having the freedom and options of private insurance. Private insurance was never cheap. My NYC policy years before the ACA was $1200 a month. I was lucky enough to get COBRA at $550 a month while unemployed.

I think people are confusing their misguided anger over people getting free benefits with the erroneous belief that the poor are better off.

Math, are you clamoring to give up your current life for a one bedroom Section 8 apartment and $160 of food stamps? Is that better than your current life? We are assessing if the entire lifestyle of the poor is better than choosing how you live in retirement.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:28 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, no, no. A person with $250k in assets is not eating food bank food. You seem to be fixated on healthcare. Free Medicaid isn't the same as having the freedom and options of private insurance. Private insurance was never cheap. My NYC policy years before the ACA was $1200 a month. I was lucky enough to get COBRA at $550 a month while unemployed.

I think people are confusing their misguided anger over people getting free benefits with the erroneous belief that the poor are better off.

Math, are you clamoring to give up your current life for a one bedroom Section 8 apartment and $160 of food stamps? Is that better than your current life? We are assessing if the entire lifestyle of the poor is better than choosing how you live in retirement.
Please don't get him started.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

i never said they are better off poor , why do you keep repeating the same thing when i never said any such thing .

"every welfare perk has a value " that is the same as more income . period ! i never said it is better or worse . it is what it is , and it is the equivalent of more income , or having the assets to generate that income value -end of story

Old 11-26-2017, 08:53 AM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Kind of interesting how some people spend so much time being angry about other people. Makes you wonder if they have any room left in their lives to be content with their own circumstances.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
i never said they are better off poor , why do you keep repeating the same thing when i never said any such thing .

"every welfare perk has a value " that is the same as more income . period ! i never said it is better or worse . it is what it is , and it is the equivalent of more income , or having the assets to generate that income value -end of story
The title and purpose of this thread is the assertion that the poor have it better than those that don't receive benefits. It's a simple analysis. Would you trade your life to live the "high life" of being poor in America.

As someone who was legitimately poor and worked my way out of it, my upcoming European vacation is so much better than grabbing canned goods from the food bank.

Oh yeah, the medical thing...look at the health statistics between the poor and the middle class. Lack of access to good quality food, safe outdoor spaces, etc have an adverse effect on health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement