Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

Things are different where I live.

There are "Help Wanted" signs everywhere ... and I'm sure that is not for very high paying jobs, but it is for jobs nonetheless. Where I work we are being offered bonuses of $500 if we can recommend someone who can pass our rigid hiring standards and become employed.

So many things are happening with the Pope's visit later this month, the Dalai Lama's visit next month, the Democrats next year. There has been an increase in conventions and the new Convention Center had to nearly double it's size. The airport is being expanded. Several new hotels are under construction, including the new 50 story W/Elements Hotel. In my neighborhood a new 11 story Study Hotel is under construction. The regional public transportation system is spending half a billion dollars to upgrade and improve the system.

In my neighborhood - within 1 mile of my house - there is presently 3.5 Billion dollars worth of construction going on. I don't even live in the city center or downtown.

Fortunately for me the value of my house jumped another $100,000 in the past 6 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 08:19 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
I am in another anomalous region; what downturn? I have been asked for referrals also, but I don't know anyone in my line of work that isn't working. I have a friend who runs a landscaping business and he has trouble finding help and he pays well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement