Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I don't disagree with most of this. Everyone needs to educate themselves and work with their doctor which is what I said in my earlier post (although not in those exact words).

I still totally disagree the statements in your previous post that you are your own best doctor and that most things can be cured by reading the Internet.
You mean reading C-D doesn't count toward good health? Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 04:36 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
I looked into Medicare, it has many loopholes actually. Once you need to be in a hospital longer than 60 days you are screwed. It's $300 a day each day afterwards. Also there are benefit periods and many other things that play into it, it's alot of studying actualy.
No, you're not screwed - not if you have a good Medigap G/F policy. All the issues you've brought up are paid 100% by the Medigap. Average cost of a good Medigap depends on age and state - anywhere between $140-$250/mo.

Medicare right now has a 60-day limit on hospital days with deductible, plus 30 days w/$304 or thereabouts copay, and additional 60 lifetime reserve days requiring $608 or thereabouts copay. Medigap policy pays ALL of these deductible, copays, and adds 365 additional 100% fully-paid hospital days to that. A good Medigap policy also provides 365 home health visits each year, and copays for the additional Medicare 80 SNF days.

If your patients were so silly as to not have a Medigap - then they are, indeed, screwed. An unnecessary pennywise and pound foolish false economy.

Quote:
Wow $20!! that's cool
I said $200 - assume this just a typo?? Today, you'll pay closer to $300. I bought mine 15 years ago, at least.

Quote:
thank you so much! I will likely have time to read it, off to work now overnight shift...but tonight might have time
Hanging upside down isn't terribly safe, I'd like to get some contraption that is level where you just lay and stretch your muscles out.
Well see...
The inversion table I have allows you to invert at all different angles. I have never inverted upside down (180 degrees). 120 degrees works best. It's sort of rocker, too.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-17-2015 at 05:07 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 08:07 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Isn't that the truth. The less they care to check their health, the less likely they are to survive.
I read a book, covering Jackie Kennedy's last year, when she developed Hodgkin's Disease. In the book, I was rather shocked to learn that after the death of her son Patrick, who only lived for a few days back in 1963, she hadn't been to a Doctor since, up until the last year of her life! And she smoked up until 6 months before she died!

Not sure about Hodgkin's Disease, if she had been tested regularly, if that could have lengthened her life.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:10 PM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
I'm self-employed and pay my own health insurance and have chosen a high-deductible one with lower premiums. Generally, I don't expect to go over my annual deductible and this changes the way you look at medical care and its cost. You tend to be a better consumer. I'm age 60.

I don't get annual physicals but I do get blood work done every 6 months. I've found a lab on the internet where I order what I want and have a selection of local labs where I can go. About 48 hours after the blood is drawn, I get the lab results directly, study them, read up if it's something I need further clarification on or ask a client who is an M.D. My focus is on cholesterol (lipid panel), fasting glucose and PSA but there's some other stuff that I generally get done depending what's on sale (yes sale - they have monthly specials).

I have a home blood pressure machine and I use a heart rate monitor for my fitness training so I have regular readings of those numbers. I currently don't suffer from any ailments and don't take any prescription medicine.

On my to do list is to visit a dermatologist and get checked out and get a good eye exam. I have a client who is an M.D. opthamologist and I believe he told me it would cost about $150 to have him give me a comprehensive exam. This seems a fair price to me.

So as of right now this is how I do it and I realize that one day I may do something different. Spend a lot of time reading about ailments that are common for people my age and have become a better manager of my health as a result.

If something came up where I needed to go to a doctor, I'd first try an urgent care center. So much more affordable than going to a mainstream medical doctor.

So the goal is to never exceed the annual deductible but never be cheap about my health care. If something popped up, I wouldn't blink an eye spending the annual deductible knowing that everything else will be on the insurance company's dime.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:31 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I read a book, covering Jackie Kennedy's last year, when she developed Hodgkin's Disease. In the book, I was rather shocked to learn that after the death of her son Patrick, who only lived for a few days back in 1963, she hadn't been to a Doctor since, up until the last year of her life! And she smoked up until 6 months before she died!

Not sure about Hodgkin's Disease, if she had been tested regularly, if that could have lengthened her life.
I did know Jackie smoked. Did not know she avoided doctors.

Small correction - Jackie did not have Hodgkin's Disease. She did have non-Hodgkin lymphoma:
Quote:
Death and funeral

In January 1994, Onassis was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a form of cancer.[132]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque...th_and_funeral
which is.
Quote:
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma

also known as non-Hodgkin disease are diverse group of blood cancers that include any kind of lymphoma except Hodgkin's lymphomas.[1] Types of NHL vary significantly in their severity, from slow growing to very aggressive types.

Lymphomas are types of cancer derived from lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell. Lymphomas are treated by combinations of chemotherapy, monoclonal antibodies (CD20), immunotherapy, radiation, and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
I had relative who actually did have Stage III Hodgkin's Disease in her early 30's - manifested with a lump in her neck and tumor in her lungs. Lots of radiation, no chemo. Developed serious lung and colon issues because of the radiation late in life. She died at 70 of a massive stroke.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I get a physical every year. My insurance pays for it, and we get incentives at work to encourage routine health maintenance.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:11 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
I do. My doctor will not prescribe my cholesterol meds for more than one year at a time. It's probably a good thing she makes me come in for an annual or else I would never go. I think in 65 years I have gone to a doctor once of my own 'free will'.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Yore gonna get slapped with the PC noodle for that first statement. I am less concerned about being a victim of medical greed than I am about getting very ill and/or dying from something they routinely catch in early screenings.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM

554 posts, read 745,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have a physical every year. You can have a free one through Medicare. I don't think it is very comprehensive though.
... Gettin' my (free) Medicare annual physical next week ... Just learned that my Doc will be moving somewhere-else, but I can 'commute' to see him, if I want ... Still deciding on that.

Have to agree with y'all about the thoroughness - I'm usually in & out of there in just-under and hour - and that includes standing in line waiting for a blood draw. "Thoroughness" is in the eye of the beholder, I'd guess.
... TC

Old 09-18-2015, 09:59 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
So explain to me again how you do a self examination of the colon and prostrate?
Each year, about 140,000 Americans are diagnosed with colorectal cancer, and more than 50,000 die from it. Over 100,000 men die in the USA from Prostate Cancer every year.. Now if no one bothered to check either of those issues, how many would die from those two cancers alone.. So you say your being a Better consumer frugal prudent? OK I will go there.. How frugal are you with Vacations Home cost, Cars, Toys Diners Out and such.. I too am very healthy and basically only go to the Dr's. as needed AND for my Yearly Phys and Blood Panels... I am 64.. BTW We All Pay For Our own Insurance its part of our wage packages...True some have more control others less over the package we have..
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
I'm self-employed and pay my own health insurance and have chosen a high-deductible one with lower premiums. Generally, I don't expect to go over my annual deductible and this changes the way you look at medical care and its cost. You tend to be a better consumer. I'm age 60.

I don't get annual physicals but I do get blood work done every 6 months. I've found a lab on the internet where I order what I want and have a selection of local labs where I can go. About 48 hours after the blood is drawn, I get the lab results directly, study them, read up if it's something I need further clarification on or ask a client who is an M.D. My focus is on cholesterol (lipid panel), fasting glucose and PSA but there's some other stuff that I generally get done depending what's on sale (yes sale - they have monthly specials).

I have a home blood pressure machine and I use a heart rate monitor for my fitness training so I have regular readings of those numbers. I currently don't suffer from any ailments and don't take any prescription medicine.

On my to do list is to visit a dermatologist and get checked out and get a good eye exam. I have a client who is an M.D. opthamologist and I believe he told me it would cost about $150 to have him give me a comprehensive exam. This seems a fair price to me.

So as of right now this is how I do it and I realize that one day I may do something different. Spend a lot of time reading about ailments that are common for people my age and have become a better manager of my health as a result.

If something came up where I needed to go to a doctor, I'd first try an urgent care center. So much more affordable than going to a mainstream medical doctor.

So the goal is to never exceed the annual deductible but never be cheap about my health care. If something popped up, I wouldn't blink an eye spending the annual deductible knowing that everything else will be on the insurance company's dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement